KALDUR

Kaldur is now confirmed gay, just like the comics. Let’s go boys.

p.s, who was he kissing? I couldn’t tell it went by quick.

7 Likes

Pretty sure that was Garth, the original Aqualad, and later Tempest, from the comics. In YJ, he’s the Atlantian ambassador with Lex Luthor now. He and Kaldur haven’t really had a significant scene together since Season One, so I feel like thos kind of came out of left field, but there was also seven or eight years in between in-universe, so it’s definitely plausible, and good to see a little more representation. Maybe we can get the relationship fleshed out a little more on a later episode, or even in a tie in comic.

2 Likes

I think, given his feelings for Tuila, he’d likely be defined as bi. And sometimes just dropping something like that and then following it up in a later episode (even as a flashback) has its place. It’s certainly sparked debate, which is healthy. It means (for good or ill) it was a moment that resonated with people. So many relationships in YJ have been slow burns, that “bomb dropping” one every once in a while is a good change of pace. (Regardless of the characters orientation). Kinda of the Roy clone and Cheshire having a kid. That came out of left field as well. (I’m guessing people have forgotten about that)

2 Likes

@dark But he’s canonically homosexual

2 Likes

@thelegend but the show predates it so they could of gone against the comics it wouldn’t be the first time they did it

1 Like

@LegendKillerX.,
Not the Aqualad I grew up with. Garth NoR Kaldur …that scene hit me like a 2x4… I saw no purpose for it …maybe I was sleeping when this developed…

1 Like

@darkgable Sucks to be you I guess? I mean, look up a timeline of gay rights or representation and you quickly see that only roughly the last 5 years have had large-scale rep. Weirds me out how people don’t see it as a good thing.

2 Likes

First, I’m so happy for him, he deserved someone, Second, the man he was kissing was not Garth, trust me I thought it was to at first glance but remember we saw Garth just an episode ago and he doesn’t look like that, I think that it is King Orins’ new protege.

3 Likes

My only problem was that the issue felt manufactured in that episode then resolved with a kiss. That was pretty weak but his orientation has nothing to do with it, there’s no problem with that and why is it much of a bother. If the same scene was with a woman you’d probably not complain so why complain and don’t say because they’re turning everybody LGBTQ because if that’s your point we can list all the LGBTQ characters and then we list the straight characters and I guarantee you it’s not even close

3 Likes

I thought it could have been handled a lot better. I want to see their relationship, learn more about what they mean to each other. The kiss alone just felt like fan pandering.

4 Likes

I like that Kaldur is bi, both for representation and for the fact that it was such a big surprise. Few TV shows/movies have been able to do that for me recently, but this episode (and that reveal specifically) hit all the right notes.

2 Likes

I think this is awesome! Was not expecting it at all. I’m sure this was just the introduction to the idea and they’ll dive deeper later on. I hope so anyway. Way to go DC for more inclusion! Made my night tonight!

2 Likes

@darkgable Since you won’t be watching it anymore, than it’s pretty irrelevant. It no longer is of any concern to you, correct?

I’m glad it just kinda was dropped in the montage. I think we will get backstory on their relationship. What I found interesting was no acknowledgement of their relationship in front of the king. I wonder if they are setting up some tension between Kaldur and the throne at some future point.

1 Like

@DeSade, that could be an interesting way for them to go with this. Or maybe instead of friction in Atlantis, it could be Kaldur’s own inner friction. Like he knows this is what he wants, and he’s beginning to feel like it’s just who he is, but maybe he doesn’t know how to accept it. He could even feel guilt because he knew he loved Tula when he was younger, and feels like he’s betraying her. It could be an interesting journey to see him learn to accept who he is and start a real, functional relationship with… whoever that guy is? I mean, Kaldur doesn’t seem like he’s had all that much time to fully understand himself, and this could be the way to do it. No matter what they do here, I’m on board for it!

“The Kiss” was a bit shocking to me only because of the build-up between Kaldur and his new aqua gal pal.

I was more like “oh, I thought he and she were starting to…”

At least he nabbed a beauty! Way to go, K! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Pretty sure that was Garth, the original Aqualad, and later Tempest, from the comics”

Nope.

Kaldur’s BF is a character named Wynnde.

1 Like

@DigficWriter, yeah, upon further inspection I realized that it was someone else.

Also, Kaldur isn’t Gay; he’s Bisexual (since he was genuinely in love with and attracted to Tula at one point)

Apparently, Arion’s buddy Wynde exists in the modern day in the animated Young Justice. And that is Aquaman’s new love interest.

@Misfit Oh wow I wonder if we will get Arion in some stories then. Did you ever read his comic from 1990?