Justice Society: World War II Thoughts/Spoilers

Also there s the fact that i think in some cannon Alfred preformed in a Shakespeare play before becoming the Wayne family butler.

2 Likes

Bought the flick as soon as it was available and I really dug it. Definitely a good start for the JSA in animated movie form, with more to come I hope.

No spoilers, but I dug ā€œShakespeareā€. Iā€™m definitely going to work that phrase into my comic conversations more.

5 Likes

So I had posted my views on a another personal post a little earlier tonight before noticing this one had already been started. Iā€™ll copy and paste and my thoughts on the new movie below. Iā€™ll also delete my other post so to reduce redundancy. Warning: I do include some spoilers below.

Iā€™m excited that I got a chance to see the new Justice Society: World War II film from the animation team. I was inspired by @Vroom recently to comment on what I thought, and so Iā€™d like to add to the conversation.

The first thing I noticed was how straight to the point, direct, and fearless Wonder Woman is in this film. Stana Katic did a fantastic job in her voice work for Diana. I can hear an accent coming from Stana, and I really enjoyed her performance. Stana also did the voicework for Lois in Superman: Unbound but I havenā€™t seen it yet. Dianaā€™s costume also had the classic pointy hair style, which allows her tiara to shine all the way around her head. Her battle in the film with Aquaman and her smashing of the Nazi tanks were great. I especially enjoyed all of the tender moments between Diana and Steve, but I must add that the last encounter they had gave me some serious feels.

The pacing in the film I thought had a lot of ā€œpause and goā€ moments, allowing the dialogue to breathe and to allow the camera to show the facial reactions, like eyebrows raising and sly-smiles, to be captured. This had to be deliberate, as the characters were learning how to relate to everything around them at the same time. I applaud this decision because it allowed for the delivery of the lines to really stand out.

Barryā€™s resolve at the end of the film to not put off anymore making a commitment to Iris was really touching. Granted, it took Barry spending a week in a different multi-verse fighting Nazis and the Atlanteans to get him to this point, but he got there in the end. Wonder Womanā€™s advice to Barry at the end of the film was probably her most meaningful, and it made me think about the importance of love in the world.

Iā€™m sure the creative team at WB Animation had to go through a lot last year during the pandemic to get this film ready for launch in 2021. However they managed to get everything done, Iā€™m very thankful to everyone involved. Thanks to the production team for creating this film for the fans to enjoy.

Perhaps others would like to comment on the film, too, or maybe just be encouraged to watch it when an opportunity comes up. Thanks again to @Vroom for pointing me in the direction of the film.

4 Likes

Saw it was sold out.

1 Like

I read somewhere that the villain is psycho pirate.

3 Likes

Did you buy the Blueray with the special features? It had a lot of great content! Content includes the team behind the film talk about how they came up with the story ideas, etc.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I bought the Digital 4K edition. I got out of physical media in 2018, so I passed on the movieā€™s physical release(s).

I donā€™t doubt the extras were great, though. Warners Brothers Home Entertainment knows how to product excellent supplemental content for their home video releases, DC or otherwise.

1 Like

I can understand keeping your collection digital. And, as you probably know, DC has a lot of good supporting content for JS:WWII on their YouTube channel. :slight_smile: ā€“ Just adding one more comment to thisā€¦ A animated short on the Blue ray special features hinted at the identity of the imprisoned boy who gave ā€˜Shakespeareā€™ a parcel. Did you figure out who he is? Iā€™m confident heā€™s a Jack Kirby character that I will not mention here.

2 Likes

The DC and WB YouTube channels do indeed have a lot of the excellent DVD and Blu-ray special features on them. Very good stuff!

As for Shakespeare, I havenā€™t given it much thought since I first saw the movie, many months back. Iā€™d need to re-watch it before hazarding a guess.

1 Like

Ended up liking the movie, not loving it tho like I thought I would especially watching Stargirlā€™s coverage of the JSA and Black Adam on the way to see another version of the team is cool.

The immediate tie-in to Man of Tomorrow was neat and liked that twist on multiverse rather than time travel.

At least most of the team got a bit of characterization by the end with the exception of Jay Garrick and Hour-Man i think, just wish it was more overall.

Black Canary stole the show in the 3rd act (for me). So awesome!

But yeah solid entry into the new-style animated movies imo.

2 Likes

I finally watched it and I loved it! There were so plot holes and the second half of the movie was a little choppy. Because of this movie, I will think of something else when someone mentions ā€œShakespeare.ā€

2 Likes