Justice: No Justice #1 Extended Spoilerfree review then Spoiler recap

Justice: No Justice #1

This issue is indicative of what makes Snyder’s run so great, but I’d be lying if I didn’t take a moment to acknowledge his co-writers. James Tynion IV (Detective Comics, Justice League Dark, and Red Hood and the Outlaws) and Joshua Williamson (The Flash, Justice League: Odyssey, and Justice League vs. Suicide Squad) likely play a much bigger role in the story writing that I am aware of. With that out of the way, let’s dive into this crazy first issue.

Review: (As always, there are minor plot spoilers but no direct details that wouldn’t be in the Solicitations)

This comic feels like it’s about two things, massive scale and jaw dropping massively scaled art. On the massive scale, this issue alone has big ramifications for the DC Universe and gives Amanda Waller a surprisingly lot of stage time, however these ramifications change the nature of the character massively. Interestingly, Waller feels genuine in her anger at being behind on everything and honestly I was kinda rooting for her. Meanwhile, another villain takes center stage in No Justice: Brainiac. The Presence of Brainiac adds to the Tension in many different ways. For one, Brainiac is hard to trust because he’s an all powerful villain, but two, the fact that he’s a true hero here makes everything even more terrifying.

Justice: No Justice has an incredibly massive scale in terms of its characters. There are 23 different characters in the series, most of which get a moment to shine. Some of these characters only add to the tension, and one of them makes absolutely no sense, but is my favorite character of the bunch by the end of Justice: No Justice. Batman and Damian get a couple great moments which honestly reflect the readers views in a really interesting way which says a lot about who Bruce is. Trust me, the conflict already looks ridiculously to solve and it constantly seems to get harder. My only complaint is that there are too many characters and not enough clear who’s on which team in the art.

Justice: No Justice also has jaw dropping art. Any page with Space or that is a two page spread is phenomenal. It’s rare and artist work and style come out so well in a comic, and I couldn’t be happier. My favorite image is the first spread which feels like they took the big screen and turned it into a page with aquaman like eye candy.

Overall Justice: No Justice proves that it can be something really unique and I can’t wait to read more of it NEXT WEEK! Aren’t weekly event series the best?

Cohesiveness: 3
Enjoyability: 5
Story: 5
Importance: +1

14/15
Recap: Spoilers Below

Task Force XI: Man Amanda has stepped up her game with the use of Task Force XI. This team has been in development since Justice League vs. Suicide Squad but watching it in action is both really cool and looks really painful.

Brainiac dies: Of Course Amanda did it! Now no one knows what to do! Honestly, I can’t wait to see the tension get crazier now that Brainiac has assembled a team without clear instructions. Also Waller now knows everything in Brainiacs head. Uh oh!

Starro and Deathstroke join the Justice League? Yep, Deathstroke who just took out the entire Justice League and Starro, the greatest conqueror on Earth among Etrigan and Sinestro. How in the world is this going to go well? Also poor Lex, Brainiac put him with the villains. I’m sure he’s given up at being a Superhero by now…

Colu: The homeworld of Krypton with hundreds of Worlds in it. I can’t wait to see the story continue as Colu is left out too much.

Thanks for getting to the end! Next Week: Justice League: No Justice #2 comes out with even more new ramifications to the DC Universe (The Comics One Not the Service…)

-Nathan.Payson

You’re neighborhood reporter.

1 Like