‘Justice League Dark,’ ‘The Shining’-Inspired Series From Bad Robot Set at

I know exactly what you mean, who wouldn’t go more bonkers than us for a Red Hood show? We do have other announced shows that have been delayed (the 3 DCYou Unscripted Pilots, BizarroTV) but it’s not the same as Red Hood, I feel you.

3 Likes

Oh wow, hadn’t heard of Bizarro TV. I always look at DCU as a comics reader first, and with that mentality it’s pretty wild to get a bunch of shows, community, and news. ANYWAY…

I’d love to see Deadman played by a different actor everytime like quantum leap. There’s a steady Boston Brand who is constantly possessing new and different guest actors.

4 Likes

WB owns both. It would be no problem to put it on here as well. Don’t forget, the same news came out about Green Lantern. That means two big named series, and Stargirl was pushed back from January to May so that it could air at the same time as on cw. Harley Quinn is getting prepared for cartoon network (during adult swim). I doubt this service will last past September.

This makes me so sad! I’m a massive DC fan! I had so much hope for it, but like always, WB has no faith in DC.

@green.lantern.2814 I can understand where you’re coming from but there’s some factors to be aware of:
WB may own both but budgets are allocated to specific places, not the company as a whole. Also, this service was never advertised to have every new and upcoming show ever created thereafter. Shows like Green Lantern and Justice League Dark would cost a lot of money. HBO Max has that money.

You say WB has no faith in DC. Several shows across multiple networks and new ones being developed would say otherwise. Now, if you meant they have no faith in DC Universe, I’d say that’s a false statement. If they had no faith, then the service would’ve been pulled a long time ago. It hasn’t. Over time we’ve gotten thousands of comics added to the service, we’ve gotten a new episode of an original series almost every Friday since the service launched. Titans will be heading into its third season. Doom Patrol will be getting a second season. Young Justice will get it’s fourth season overall and second season here. We’ve got Stargirl and Harley Quinn coming, with Stargirl arriving a day early and uncut.

Whenever a bit of news comes out about HBO Max, people jump to conclusions and say the sky is falling. I’ve seen people say they don’t see the service lasting past a certain amount of time, but here we are almost two years later. It’s still here.

I’m thrilled about Justice League Dark because it’s an amazing concept and I can’t wait to see where it goes. And I will continue to enjoy DC Universe well past September because it will still be here.

2 Likes

To begin, what I meant by wb having no faith in dc is from my experiences. I don’t know if you noticed my name, but I’m a bit of a gl fan. Do you remember the script of the movie that doesn’t exist? Do you remember that wb held a justice league movie hostage, telling the DC fans that if we wanted jl, we’d get it if gl did well? The only thing that wb has total faith in has been the sociopath, err, batman.

Titans happened because it was originally made for TNT until TNT passed. There was that Alfred series that aired only on epix. Why? That came out long after dcu. It was also announced that doom patrol will also air on hbo. They only claimed season 2. Personally I thought that dp was the only truly great series to come to dcu and I worry about season 3.

The last thing that makes me so nervous about the fate of dcu is that AT&T (wb and ergo dc’s parent company) has threatened to completely kill dc comics division.

I really, really hope you are right! I don’t want my dcu going anywhere! (unless I get a grandfathered rate when it gets sucked into hbo max.) To be clear, and the internet is filled with awful people who talk like this to be jerks I realize, I am enjoying our conversation! This is my opportunity to vent my fear and frustration at a service that I know my fandom is taking it too serious for.

1 Like

I honestly wasn’t planning to subscribe to HBO Max, but with a Justice League Dark series I might have to consider it. Streaming services are the future of entertainment. I’m not mad that all of the things I want to watch aren’t in one place. It just is what it is. Would be nice if DCU had it, but I believe AT&T/WB/etc wants to attract a broader audience. We are a little community of comic fans. DCU already has a great value in what we get for its cheap price.

Nothing is happening to my DCU membership. I will chain myself to their desks if I need to. Don’t worry, I will use a 6 ft chain. :smirk_cat:

3 Likes

No worries at all. This is more an open discussion and no offense was taken by your comments :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I am positively thrilled to hear this. I’ve been waiting for the JLD to get some horrific recognition.
-M

1 Like

I can vibe the idea that DCU gets the DC HBO Max content as well, and perhaps they will do that. The CW shows are tied up in previous output deals but this may be more feasible

However; I disagree that WB has no faith in DC. I think it’s the opposite. I think they see how potentially profitable it would be and they are worried about choking it away. They top brass doesn’t totally get it but they know they can’t screw it up…which is why we have the limited and mixed bag output.

1 Like

I forgot about BizaraoTV, Red Hood was an example it would be awesome. But I really just want something announced for us is all.

3 Likes

Also, if this is straying from a conversation about JLD, I have to say that outside of the comics platform, DOOM PATROL was worth the price of admission year 1 and much to my surprise Harley is helping pay for year 2.

1 Like

I wonder if they’re going to use some of the original line up from the New 52 or the current line up? Just thinking about the possibilities of prosthetic make up for some of the characters is exciting!

1 Like

That already happened in Smallville.

1 Like

Because it is HBO we should assume that effects or costume design wont limit the lineup

1 Like

I’ll eagerly anticipate those first looks​:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Doesn’t mean we can’t be excited to see her in live action again, especially considering it’s been a decade since

3 Likes

Yeah, but the tone of that post was that a JLD series could potentially be Zatanna’s first appearance in live-action, which isn’t the case.

1 Like

Sure, but I mean for reals. :slight_smile: Sorry, never watched Smallville. Maybe I will one day.

2 Likes

And yet there’s no specific mention of a first appearance or debut at all

I’m super excited for this. Was hoping it would be a movie but this should be great too.

I really wish we could get Alexandra Daddario as Zatanna and Joseph Morgan (Klaus from The Originals) as John Constantine. I feel those two would truly be a great fit

2 Likes