Justice League Book Club Week 9: More Super Powers and Endless Winter! Tally-Ho!

Happy holidays, @JusticeLeagueBookClub! Last week, we journeyed into our first toy-based comic, Super Powers. We continue the Super Powers journey this week, with volume 2 of the series, from 1985. Read on for the deets!

:books: Read:

:speaking_head: Discuss:

• How do you compare this series to the 1984 original?
  • There are several new characters introduced into the Super Powers pantheon in this series. Who was your favorite new character?

That’s our mission for the week, League. I hope the holidays are treating you and your’s well. Have fun! :superman_hv_4: :grinning:

8 Likes

Endless Winter marches on! Here are this week’s new releases for this month-long Justice League event:

“Endless Winter” chapter four! The icy tendrils of Frost King’s global grip extend all the way to the bottom of the Seven Seas! Can Arthur and Mera convince a ferocious collective of Fire Trolls to emerge from the Earth’s very core to save Atlantis from its frozen imprisonment? And in our look to the past, the unlikely team of heroes gets more than they bargained for when they face off against the Frost King for the very first time!

“Endless Winter” chapter five! In this turning point issue, the Justice League is scattered across the snow-covered globe, trying to stave off the frozen doom, leaving Green Lantern John Stewart to stand alone. At the Hall of Justice, he begins to piece together clues that could help turn the icy tide that threatens to overwhelm them all. But then an unexpected visitor arrives on cue: the Frost King himself! In the past, however, Queen Hippolyta, Swamp Thing, and Viking Prince witness a terrible decision made by Black Adam-one that will haunt them forever.

“Endless Winter” chapter six! Crush, Roundhouse, Kid Flash, and Red Arrow embark on a bonding exercise with new partners from the original New Teen Titans: Donna Troy and Beast Boy? Everyone’s limits will be tested as they brave the challenges of holiday shopping in Manhattan! And then, the city is buried in snow! When they discover a teen whose powers are triggered by the extreme cold, the team must decide if this new arrival is a future hero or villain. And in the past, Black Adam battles the Frost King with devastating consequences.

What are you thoughts on Endless Winter so far?

3 Likes

New Justice League content on DC Universe this week:

Justice League Odyssey #16

Jessica Cruz and her new Justice League Odyssey squad are hardly a team…just a bunch of misfits and old rivals thrown together by chance. Only one cause unites them: stopping the newly empowered, godlike Darkseid. But when they’re outgunned and stranded on a hostile world, can they even begin to fight the ruthless forces of Sepulkore, or will an unexpected new ally change the course of their struggle forever?

1 Like

I am compelled to read volume 2 of Super Powers.

1 Like

I have been waiting for this to be asked!!! I am trying to limit my computer time so I feel more productive in the real world so I haven’t started a topic for Endless Winter.

Let me start by saying this is the first crossover I have bought as it has come out after Avengers vs X-Men. Personally, I am not into them enough to spend money on them and just wait for them to be on DCU and even then I usually pass on them. For whatever reason, I decided this was the crossover for me. I have been correct in that choice. I really like the way the story goes from the past to the present with the Frost King. Also, Black Adam is way excellent in this! I have started reading the post-Crisis series and one thing that has bothered me is that the foes are kind of bland and not worthy of the Justice League or even a team-up. (The Royal Flush Gang in case you were wondering). The Frost King brings the need for a team-up of teams like JL and Teen Titans.

I am worried that this event will lead to more money out of my wallet because of how much I am enjoying it. That is bad for me but great for my comic shop.

1 Like

Super Powers has you in its grasp. This is a great thing.

@D4RK5TARZ I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read of Endless Winter so far. I haven’t yet read this week’s parts, but I’m eager to do so.

2 Likes

Groovy first issue. Love that it takes place right after Kirby’s Hunger Dogs graphic novel, and spins right out of Darkseid’s downfall that it depicted.

Some fav shots so far:

The scene is just as good as the Kirby artwork in the 60’s Fantastic Four comics that introduced the Inhumans, the Silver Surfer and the Black Panther!

Kirby’s Desaad looks riveting here, full of dark menace (same for Martian Manhunter); Wonder Woman in this run… not so much.

Above, nice Kirby cameo, thick eyebrows and cigar.

I really like how Kirby does Superman’s cape and outfit here.

2 Likes

So far, Endless Winter is my favorite crossover in a long while. A nice tight concept, well executed across multiple titles, think it will have a longer term impact on a few characters like Wonder Woman but it’s not promising to change the DC Universe as I know it. Today I read the Flash and Superman installments. Flash was a nice personal story and interaction with Black Adam, similarly with Superman (minus Adam). Also enjoying the peak back in time that oops up in these stories

1 Like

Well hello there once more Justice League Book Club! :wave: :sunglasses:

Tally-Ho indeed with the mission of the week! :grin:

Ah, it was a lot of fun looking into this series just like the 1984 original. :smiley:

From the start in the first issue, Darkseid on the run reminded me of the series finale of Superman The Animated Series. :clark_hv_5:

I guess Darkseid did make sure later that they definitely would not turn on him again after all. :thinking: :smile:

Green Arrow also had a lot of good zings for everyone else.

:joy: :bow_and_arrow:

Aquaman’s expression though… :scream: :rofl:

Although, I’d probably have a similar reaction… After thinking hey that’s pretty cool… It’s a dinosaur! :sweat_smile:

Superman and Firestorm also had funny moments as well! :superman_hv_4: :fire:

Superman, Firestorm Moments

I also find it funny anytime Batman calls Robin chum. :smile:

Also a good reminder to fasten those seatbelts! :batman_hv_2:

And a nice punch there Batman! :batman_hv_1:

It did throw me for a little loop when the Parademons were speaking… :eyes:

So when Green Arrow did what he did here…

I also couldn’t help laugh at the situation… :joy:

Also… The thought of Darkseid just being pure energy floating around the universe is terrifying… :grimacing: :fearful:

Tough choice… As they all had their moments again… :thinking:

And if I could only choose one… Maybe I would say it would be Firestorm. :fire: :superman_hv_4:

Hope that the holidays also treat everyone well as this was another treat to read through and talk about. :clark_hv_4:

3 Likes

I think original was slightly better, only just slightly though. The writing was more sophisticated in vol one, I think. Vol II got a little too corny and over explanatory of simple details at times. Overall the entire series was still worth the time to read and really makes me miss the 80s.

3 Likes

Greetings all!! (Look @Vroom, I made it!!)

Unfortunately I have no idea how this compares to the original series as I didn’t get a chance to read last week’s stuff :sob:

However, I did enjoy this week’s reading - I found the random “pointing out everyone’s weakness oh so very subtly” along with the constant repetition of certain things (Seeds of Doom?! Growing into the planet’s core?!) and the thought-monologuing quite amusing.

I think Firestorm was my favorite newbie. I don’t think I’ve read anything with him in it before, so it was fun to see him in the comics.

4 Likes

Hope you get a chance to read it Wings. It also was a lot of fun reading. :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

Greetings kids and thanks for chiming in (I knew you’d make it, @WingsOfAether!:clark_hv_4:) on another fun Super Powers read!

We’ll resume the normal Tuesday schedule next week with a short but sweet read. One that, like our last two weeks of material, ties into a groovy toy line by Kenner.

Merry Christmas, @JusticeLeagueBookClub! I hope you all have an absolutely fantastic holiday! :superman_hv_3: :santa: :mrs_claus: :deer: :christmas_tree:

8 Likes