Justice League Book Club Week 8: Super Powers, Toys and more Endless Winter: Oh My!

Just the inherent weirdness of the idea, Kirby does toy line comics makes this worth a look.
I’m on an every other week LCS run, but looking forward to more endless winter

2 Likes

At this point decorative

1 Like

The fact that this comic tied into a Kenner toy line makes it rad enough, but the fact that Kirby was involved makes it especially rad.

I’m liking Endless Winter so far. It’s a fun li’l event.

@Don-El Good call. If I had a custom-made Superman pillow, it’d be used for decorative purposes too.

2 Likes

I was hoping to review the advertising for the original issues that I thought I owned, but after checking my inventory list …oops I sold it last year with that half of my collection sale I did oh boy…

Well at least I didn’t burn them…

2 Likes

My favorite ad from these books (from the print edition of Super Powers #1):

It captivated me as a kid who grew up with Super Powers years and years after the whole thing had ended.

Here’s a nifty ad found via Google that talks about the Licensing Corporation of America’s Super Powers push in 1984:

3 Likes

From page one I said, “yes! yes! and yes!
Amazing colors (I don’t think red gets utilized enough these days) and witty battle repartee, what more could a girl want.

It’s amazing how a few lines and squiggles can evoke so much emotion

Gruesome :scream:

Bewitching :star_struck:

Each issue was chockablock with action, some of the best writing I’ve read in a while, and plenty of comic relief.
Did the joker save the day? :shushing_face:

I’m encouraged. If the our heroes can find the will to team up with the worst of the worst, than we all can surly endure whatever this new year will throw at us.

I was wondering what to get my nephew for Christmas. The search is over! Thank you.

2 Likes

So the question before us today, Super Powers Fans is: which do we love the most: the first volume we have before us of Super Powers where Kirby only draws the covers and helps with the storyline, or the Super Powers series of the following year 1985 when Jack Kirby drew it all including covers, but didn’t write anything!

Super Poll!
  • Super Powers 1984 is tops
  • Super Powers 1985 is the best

0 voters

I’m torn. I think I need to reread Vol. 2 soon…

Concerning the current reading,
It was very very Interesting seeing concepts in this short series that later become epic series in the coming decades.

Powerful Cosmic entities offer to greatly amp up the powers of supervillains for devious reasons, check.

Amazon’s attack civilization, check.

Slow down time for your opponent to defeat them, check (also used in the Disney flick "Artemis Fowl).

Even though this was a toy tie in series, similar to Rom and the Micronauts etc over at Marvel around the same time, the series tied in a bit with then-current DC storylines. For example, when we first encounter Luthor, he is building sculptures of Superman and also of his now-deceased wife and son, obliterating the Superman statue since the battle between Superman and Lex resulted in his adopted homeworld and family being destroyed (Action Comics #544, sadly missing from our DC Universe library).

Favorite scenes from the first three issues of Super Powers:

Yup, the “slow down their perception of time” gag…

The storyline of Penguin controlling birds like Aquaman does fish was neat.

Tying the Penguin’s amped up powers to will power made sense- he exerted his will over the birds, but then over Green Lantern as well

This version of the Joker is my personal favorite, I love a good comedian!

The jokes continue as Joker uses a puppet of Lois to make quips at Supes…

It was tough to see Wonder Woman as a driven soldier.

2 Likes

Greetings Justice League Book Club! :wave: :sunglasses:
Tally… Ho… Gotten into a habit saying that after saying book club… For DC Daily… :cry: :+1:

First time reading through this adventure and what an adventure it was! :star_struck:

Have to get back to you on the 2nd Vol. @Don-El as I will be making sure to add that to my reading list. :smiley:

Hmmm… Seeing those nice pages with those toys you provided Vroom makes me wish I did… :smile:

Although… This story was a little bit before my time… Also, thank you @Aquamon for saying who was in @Kon-El-Kalikimaka’s picture as I uh… Didn’t know who that was either… She must be one swell gal to know! :sweat_smile:

Ah, now where was I? :thinking:

Oh right. :joy:

Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions… Seems like every character had a moment that I very much enjoyed. Here are a few shots that stood out to me the most. :nerd_face:

I read these in my announcer voice

:rofl:

Some Charity for the Season

:superman_hv_3: :flash_hv_3:

This was a Surprise!

Mainly due to the fact that I did not know you could easily borrow the ring of a G.L. :astonished: :flash_hv_5: :gl_hv_2:

Thought We Wouldn't Notice

But of course Batman would Robin! :batman_hv_1:

I also had one of those games that had a bunch of games in it that you plugged into your tv and actually have played Dig Dug and it was fun. :smile:

Hero Insider News

Maybe Batman should have told Hawkman that this bat glides more than flies… Unless he’s in the Batwing… :thinking: :grin:

Check Your Settings

Well done again GL! Well done! :clap: :sunglasses: :joy:

4 Likes

Joker gets a standing ovation for this series.

3 Likes

Where did you get your super cool Super Emojis?

3 Likes

When you’re typing a reply tap the emoji smiley in the top right corner. Then scroll down on the left and you’ll see DC.

:two_facehappyhqtas:

3 Likes

Psst! Over here! waves Don into the alley

You didn’t hear it from me, but sources say Super Powers v2 is the plan for Week 9’s reading.

Pass it along!

Oh, and uh, purple monkey dishwasher.

takes flight into the night sky

2 Likes

@Kon-El-Kalikimaka is right jenoutmind. :sunglasses: :+1:

Also, sometimes when just writing quickly I’ll put a : that also pops up emojis like so…

And if there is one that does not readily pop up I’m looking for, I’ll go to the emoji smiley and scroll down to the bottom of the list with the :dc: logo to its left (or as above clicking on the “more” option also works in taking you to all the emojis). :clark_hv_4:

We will also be getting more as well once Applejack has done some tinkering with the newer ones as stated in this post during Office Hours. :grin:

Hope this helps. :superman_hv_3:

3 Likes
  1. Have you read before?Yup.

2. Played with the toys: nope, I was 30 when this came out. Vroom, when you and I were checking out current eBay prices on these, yikes, nope, won’t be owning these any time soon lol…

3. Fav? A tie between Brainiac with his cool “new” look at the time and Luthor with his great motivation.

1 Like

I bought the first issue of each Super Powers series around…1994 or so at a comic store, due to my interest in the toy line. Even in the pre-eBay age, the toys were pricey, especially to an 11-year old. :slight_smile:

No argument here. When I’ve bought Super Powers figures in the past, I always look for loose (opened) figures, since they’re cheaper in most cases. Even so, I still only buy one a year, if that.

That reminds me of this li’l winner, the first appearances of robot Brainiac and Lex in his battle armor:

2 Likes

Sadly this also has not been digitized yet and is not on the site but I shall add it to my must buy list now thanks for pointing it out!

2 Likes

It’s a good ish, definitely worth your time.

I put in a PTD request for it a while ago, and another (for extra emphasis) earlier today. Hopefully we’ll get it in digital (and much more of Action from #500 forward as well) sometime next year. :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes