Justice League Book Club Week 8: Super Powers, Toys and more Endless Winter: Oh My!

Happy New DC Comics Day, @JusticeLeagueBookClub! The holiday season is fully upon us and what’s one of the best things about this time of year? Why, TOYS of course! This week, we’re starting an examination of various comic series based on popular toylines. Our first title is Super Powers, volume 1!

Here’s what’s in our toy chest this week:

:books: Read:

:speaking_head: Discuss:

• Have you read this or any of the other Super Powers mini-series?
  • Did you play with or collect Super Powers toys and other merchandise either when it was new, or in the years after it left retail?
  • Who was your favorite character in this book?

:bulb: Miscellaneous:

• @msgtvhohoho’s DC History Club has a fantastic overview of many DC Comics-based toys and collectibles right here, so please do check it out. As the week progresses, you’ll definitely see Super Powers-related content in that thread.

• If you’re wanting to wax nostalgic over DC toys of your youth from your favorite Christmas catalogs, look to the DC Toys in Christmas Catalogs thread, for a wide variety of catalog images that showcase a equally wide variety of DC toys from the past.

That’s what’s on tap for this week, League! I hope you’re all well and ready to read a fun book, then dive into toy fun via the above links. Ch-check it out to see what it’s all about, and have fun! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Gonna go ahead and say I’ve always loved these covers. Especially issue 3.

2 Likes

While the above is certainly exciting, let’s not forget brand new Justice League-related comics in stores this week:

The Flash #767

“Endless Winter” chapter two! As the world’s heroes rush to stop the freezing conditions running rampant across the globe, the Fastest Man Alive speeds directly into Black Adam. With the planet losing hope, the Flash and Kahndaq’s ruler must find a way to work together, while a story from Black Adam’s past reveals his connection to the threat that now returns to end the world with freezing ice and fearsome frost.

Superman: Endless Winter Special

“Endless Winter” chapter three! Superman finds himself at the center of an epic battle as the Frost King’s hordes of ice monsters come to life. Is this frozen onslaught too much for the Man of Steel, or can he stop it before it rampages across the chilling wasteland the world is becoming and reaches civilization? The answer to this question comes from an unlikely source close to Clark Kent’s earthly roots!

Dark Nights: Death Metal-The Last Stories of the DC Universe

The last battle against the Batman Who Laughs is at hand…the final fight for everything in the universe. And while the night is usually darkest just before the dawn, what would be the last thing you’d do if you weren’t sure the dawn would ever arrive? Join our heroes in their waning hours as we show their journeys through what could be their final moments…heroes that have fought a million times before, but are keenly aware this could be their endgame. These are the stolen moments detailing the last stories of the DC Universe.

New Justice League collections in store this week:

Justice League: Vengeance is Thine

The next chapter for comics’ premier super-team begins! An unexpected arrival from the stars brings a dire warning to the Justice League: a new breed of conquerors is on the march. Led by Superman’s nemesis the Eradicator, a genetically engineered, super-powered strike team has come to subjugate Earth. To aid the Justice League, Batman makes the unprecedented decision to enlist an ancient, unrivaled power, which calls into question who, exactly, is in charge. With the League on unsure footing, will they be ready to save the world? Collects Justice League #40-47 and Justice League Annual #2

Super Friends: Saturday Morning Cartoons, volume 1

In the Great Hall of the Justice League there are assembled the world’s four greatest heroes created from the cosmic legends of the universe: SUPERMAN! WONDER WOMAN! BATMAN! AND AQUAMAN! And those three junior super friends: WENDY! MARVIN! And WONDER DOG!

Their mission: To fight injustice! To right that which is wrong! And to serve all mankind!

Inspired by the hit animated television series, these 1970s adventures are collected in their entirety for the first time ever! With over 500 pages of stories, this first of two volumes features the Super Friends with guest stars like the Atom, the Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Elongated Man, and more! Witness as they face off against villains like the Riddler, Cheetah, Poison Ivy, Toyman, and the Penguin!

Written by E. Nelson Bridewell (MAD Magazine) with art by Ramona Fradon (Aquaman, Metamorpho) this one-of-a-kind collection is not to be missed! The Super Friends: Saturday Morning Comics Vol. 1 collects The Super Friends #1-26, Aquateers Meet The Super Friends, and the Super Friends story and features from Limited Collectors’ Edition #C-41 and #C-46, with a brand-new introduction from Fradon.

New Justice League-related Comics on DC Universe this week:

Justice League #37

“Justice/Doom War” part eight! The Justice League is making their final push against Perpetua, but some players they previously counted as allies may have been working for the other side the whole time! Who among Perpetua’s children will betray them and join Lex Luthor’s war on justice?

Young Justice #11

Young Justice returns! Home! To Earth! Finally! Just in time to confront all of their big issues-like S.T.A.R. Labs! Moms and dads! Naomi! Jinny Hex’s trunk! And yes, each other! This starts the wild wind-up to Wonder Comics’ first year as the truth behind S.T.A.R. Labs and the reunion of Young Justice is revealed!

Check out the latest chapters of Endless Winter and Dark Nights: Death Metal while picking up a solid new to DCU read, won’t you? :clark_hv_4: :wonderwoman: :gl_hv_2:

3 Likes

My favorite cover is #1. The plot of this series, and its covers, were by the one and only Jack Kirby. Long live the King! :crown:

2 Likes

3 Likes

The first two are fine and good, but I’d prioritize the third. She was a childhood crush of mine.

2 Likes

Oh SNAP! Crackle! & Pop!

Also…

2 Likes

Oh is that Kathy Ireland?

2 Likes

Maybe…:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yep, I was 110% sure but there’s always that 0.001 percent. Also, I’m pretty good at math.

2 Likes

Always show your work, friend. Always. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

With Kathy!?
Oh I don’t think that would be appropriate sir!

2 Likes

Solid list by the way. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just read the comics! Geez. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Finished! One Kathy Ireland please?

Okay for real though gonna get back to some art then some JL comics.

1 Like

Cool beans, mon frere! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Please reserve one PG rated seat for the reading this week.

I’ll forgo the trip to Ireland however…

2 Likes

reserves a seat for @Don-El, then puts a Superman pillow on it followed by a wrapped piece of peppermint candy on top of said pillow

:sparkles: Fancy! :sparkling_heart: :superman:

1 Like

My daughter made me an actual Superman pillow so very appropriate

2 Likes

Mighty apropos! Do you sit or sleep on it? Or is it decorative?

1 Like