Justice League Book Club Week 6: The Rise of Eclipso

Sorry. Didn’t mean to spoil it

3 Likes

You’re fine. It’s not like you told @Kon-El that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker’s father.

Or that Rosebud was the name of Kane’s sled.

Or that Tyler Durden and The Narrator are one and the same.

You’re good. Scott Free, even! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I also like how this ties into the Brightest Day Event

2 Likes

That, and Reign of Doomsday from the Superman line.

2 Likes

Yeah. I think this was a great storyline to end the series on

2 Likes

What???!!!

2 Likes

Today is Tuesday, which means new comics on DC Universe and brand new comics at your favorite comic outlet! :partying_face: :man_dancing: :fireworks:

Justice League content new to DC Universe this week:

Justice League Odyssey #15

The Black Cube wakes! The new JLO team battles a massively powerful threat aboard their ship…and the ship is the first casualty. Stranded in space, Jessica Cruz’s leadership skills are tested to the limit as she tries to bring her dysfunctional crew together as a team before they all perish!

New Justice League content at your favorite comic store this week:

Justice League #57

“Doom Metal” part five of five! The Legion of Doom has been freed-and now they’re turning on their saviors-the Justice League! Teeth will gnash, knuckles will be bared, and Lex Luthor will make a decision that shocks everyone, including Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. The ending of this epic story leads directly into Dark Nights: Death Metal #5!

Whether its on DCU or at comic stores (both is best, right? :slight_smile: ), there’s a Justice League book for YOU this week!

1 Like

Did you know The Cabin in the Woods is actually a Scooby-Doo tale for adults? They would have got away with it too, if it wasn’t for…well, you know.

2 Likes

This should be interesting – I recently reread this Robinson run’s tie-in for Blackest Night for the Lantern Corps Book Club and…honestly that was one of THE worst Justice League stories I ever read. Hopefully this one is better! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

For me, this is the best arc of Robinson’s JLA run. Brett Booth’s artwork is smooooth.

1 Like

My favorite moment was the interaction at the very end between Donna and Dick. 2 old friends saying goodbye.
I don’t think I have a favorite Eclipso story. I enjoyed this one. I have always liked Jade and Obsidian since they were first introduced in Infinity, Inc.

2 Likes

Well hello there Justice League. :wave: :sunglasses:

Was soaring through our fine universe and saw the tie in with the DC-TV-And-Movie-Club. (Had been on a Justice League Animated binge of late as well and I’m up to the point for tomorrow’s watch along now as well) Also happened to finish this mission a little bit ago today… :joy:

Talk about a story that was unlike any I’ve read so far… :fearful:

It was my first time reading through… The Tie-in’s to Brightest Day and Reign of Doomsday have also peaked my interest from reading this story… Seems Brightest Day has been on my reading list for a while, and eventually with Blackest Night I shall get to it… And the newly added Reign of Doomsday… :sweat_smile:

Ah, @Mister.Miracle is right with that last moment between the heroes and Eclipso being really good. I did also quite enjoy these moments since they reminded me of our DC Daily Book Clubs. :pensive: :smile:

Summary

So far this reading is at the top of my list, and I did see there was a story with Eclipso in the 90s that I’ll have to dig into… Also an annual I’ll put in a request again at some point later that is apart of the Bloodlines story… :thinking:

So it should be fun seeing what else this Eclipso has gotten into… Even if Eclipso did also kill The Spectre That was a tough moment… Oh, and…

When Eclipso “killed” Donna Troy I had a flashback to Graduation Day with the Titans… :eyes: :scream: :sob: :sweat_smile:

And for one final thought… Now I know a little more about what they could do in Stargirl Season 2 as they will have The Shade and Eclipso showing up. :open_mouth:

So thank you for putting these together this week and possibly see everyone for the watch along tomorrow! :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

Hi and hello, @ajm08g! Welcome, stick around and try some spiked punch. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your detailed thoughts on this week’s reading! I hope to see you at this afternoon’s WAL, along with everyone else from the @DC-TV-And-Movie-Club and @JusticeLeagueBookClub. Eclipsed is a fun ride worthy of a good-sized audience!

5 Likes

so will there be a weekly meeting and new books to read every week is it only Justice League since the name of the title is Justice League book club I mean there’s so many great ideas to do here and I like a smaller group book club I will say so myself because I’m nowhere near Advance on my comic reading like some of the other book clubs are

2 Likes

Hi and welcome, @Davidbizzarr1000! :slight_smile:

New entries are posted every Tuesday to coincide with the release of new comics on DCU, as well as to coincide with the release of brand new comics from DC themselves.

You’re welcome to read at your leisure as none of the discussions truly close. Read what you like and comment when you like! :clark_hv_4:

Most discussions are centered around Justice League-branded titles, but other titles that feature characters typically associated with the Justice League franchise in some way (see Week 5 for an example) will also be chronicled.

I hope to see you join in on the fun! :flash_hv_1:

3 Likes

:flexmentallo_dp:

3 Likes

What an epic! I​:heavy_heart_exclamation:a good teamwork story. Everyone played a part… really I think everyone.

This was my first read with Dick taking the mantle of Batman. I think it suited in this series. Dick’s levity was a nice balance to darkness of the story.

Then there were the brain spiders- :scream:

I won’t be sleeping tonight, unless they are wearing top hats.
Overall -:+1::+1:
The story was dynamic and fast moving.

Totally agree.
The art did a great job holding everything together through all the chaos. Sometimes when there is soooo much happening, it can get a little muddled.
The final issue was the only low point for me. I get what they were going for, the long good-bye and all; but the writing was not there for me. It’s a big and poignant moment; but the feeling was just not there for me. Especially, if an entire issue is dedicated to the conversation. However, this was my first exposure to this team; so maybe I’m just not getting the full scope, and need to read the full run on its entirety.

3 Likes

My favorite issue was the last as we see the tales Robinson just didn’t have time to get to and Dick and Donna’s bittersweet farewell. Unfortunately, a lot of DC’s comics had rushed finishes that month, but this was one of the better efforts. Robinson did as well as he could considering how badly they editorially undercut his team about issue #41.

Eclipso is not a villain I look forward to seeing. However, this is one of the better arcs featuring him. I guess with continuity about ready to be rewritten that’s the time to go after God.

3 Likes

Re Eclipso

The DC History Club is doing New 52 Demon Knights this month

The Origin of Ecipso’s Bkack Diamond was an New 52 Event for several titles, starting with Demon Knights

3 Likes

Ah yes, The Black Diamond Probability. I remember liking that as it came out, but I haven’t re-read it since the story concluded.

I might just re-read it now though, along with the initial issues of Demon Knights, which was underrated when it came out and remains so today. It was definitely a highlight of the wave 1 New 52 titles.

2 Likes