Justice League Book Club Week 32: Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 Justice League, Part 2: Justice League International

“Alright team, let’s go police the world!”

After two weeks of celebratory, inaugural New 52 action and adventure at the hands of those titanic talents Geoff Johns and Jim Lee in the pages of Justice League, we’re back in business, @JusticeLeagueBookClub!

As was said in the trailer for 1997’s Batman & Robin, “Justice cannot stand alone!” and is expanding onto the global stage with Justice League International! Read on for the smashing details of this globe-trotting adventure!

:books: Read:

:speaking_head: Discuss:

• Justice League International was the second Justice League-themed title of The New 52, after Justice League. How would you compare and contrast JLI to that series?

• Prior to The New 52, Justice League International was an existing concept, and one whose debut was made famous in 1987 via this landmark book. Have you read prior volumes of JLI and if so, how do you feel they compare to one another?

• Between August General in Iron, Batman, Booster Gold, Fire, the Guy Gardner Green Lantern, Ice, Rocket Red and Vixen, this JLI is one stacked and jacked team of superhero (and intergalactic law enforcement) badassery! Who’s your favorite of this new JLI for a new era?

• Anything else that comes to your globe-trotting mindset.

That’s the mission for this week, League. I hope that you enjoy it and as always, have fun! :superman_hv_4: :justice_league_book_club:

4 Likes

This is the Justice League book I never read. Gonna check to see if I have it on a shelf, it is either JLI or JLA that is on my shelf and I can’t remember. Gonna go do that now before I forget and grab that Jim Lee Unwrapped book to put it in my stack, which is like the solitary waiting room at a doctor’s office after your name gets called.

2 Likes

Just Imagine™…if it is the series you haven’t read: Then you get to dive into something new while celebrating 10 years of The New 52! :partying_face:

2 Likes

So, I don’t have either JLA or JLI on my shelf from New 52. I really thought I did. I do have Justice League Unwrapped which is now on my stack!

1 Like

The New 52 Justice League of America will pop-along at some point, either later this year or next.

So, if you don’t buy it until then, you’ll be in for a treat!

Until then, check out JLI when you can. :clark_hv_4:

1 Like

ajm08g sneaks in with a note for Vroom… :spiral_notepad:

Location Found

:superman_hv_4:

I’ll be back later when I finish reading the rest. :clark_hv_4:

1 Like

slides over an envelope full of Cool Points

You earned them, my good man. :00_booster_gold: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Well hello again Justice League Book Club. Tally-Ho! :wave: :sunglasses:

Very intriguing read through with all that happened. :sweat_smile:

Seems to be a theme with teams having some dissension between members at first. :thinking:

Also seemed that both Leagues struggled with who should be in charge at first. :flushed:

And both Green Lanterns on the team seemed to also cause some trouble. :00_lc_green_lantern:

One of the main differences between the teams is the power scale for sure. :muscle:

Although, it is hard to top the combined strength of Superman and Wonder Woman on a team. :superman_hv_4: :0_wonder_woman:

Ah, yes. I did in fact read some of the JLI’s adventures when they were on the scene for… Doomsday’s rampage to Metropolis. :scream: :eyes:

A few different characters between the readings, but the core members were still there. :smiley:

Still a lot of destruction for the teams to deal with in both regards. :grimacing:

Ah, a lot of good characters to choose from, although I think August General in Iron stood out the most to me because he stood up for Booster’s leadership capabilities. Batman also agreed with those so you know it’s a good thing. :batman_hv_2:

And… Yup a few other things that came to mind. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Few other things that came to Mind

This was also quite the selection of heroes to choose from for membership for the JLI. :astonished:

Oh Briggs and the old take credit or blame them adage for the teams success or failures… :pensive:

Yes! The Green Lantern has arrived! :rofl:

Yes, Booster can not ignore the people, and hello again Pandora. :wink:

It’s good to know that Booster has not done any of those commercials… And funny as to what Godiva would prefer. :sweat_smile:

Booster sure has a good sense of humor Batman. :00_booster_gold: :joy:

Yikes! That’s a crazy sight. :fearful:

Also Red Rocket sure was surprised at being told to sit down by Batman, for a good reason though. :batman_hv_1:

Thank you Batman for the leadership advice to Booster. :batman_hv_4:

Thank you again August General in Iron for speaking. :grin:

And uh… Thank you as well Godiva. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Luckily the story did continue. :sweat_smile:

Comparing power abilities… Nothing weird at all about them Fire or Vixen. :sunglasses:

Yes to never forgetting those force fields! :joy:

1 Like

Hey hey, @ajm08g! :wave:t2: :clark_hv_4:

Most definitely. JLI seemed to be the New 52 JL book that wasn’t on most people’s radars as much as the core title and Justice League Dark were, but it was every bit as good as both of them.

Well, JLD at least. As a card-carrying member of the Unofficial Geoff Johns and Jim Lee Fan Club, no other New 52 series (Wave 1 or otherwise) even came close to touching Justice League. :wink:

Who’d have thought Guy Gardner was a troublemaker? :smirk:

It would have been a neat callback to see Batman slug Guy in this JLI. I get why Jurgens didn’t go that route, but still, Guy needs to be put in his place at times, regardless of continuity.

Lemme ask ya: What’d you think of their romance? I’m a die-hard “Lois and Clark 4-Ever!!!” fan, but I also appreciate the angles that come about when writers go a different path and show what might have been if Clark ended up with someone else, which in this case was Diana.

I liked their romance, and enjoyed how it lasted through the New 52, rather than just being a one issue stunt that came and went.

Those were among my first issues of Jurgens’ first go-around with the League that I read from start to finish. Seeing that League get its ass absolutely driven into the ground by Doomsday was a shocker upon the initial read, as I thought “I know Doomsday killed Superman, so its not like the League was going to stop him, but even so…ouch.”

SN: I don’t think Jurgens’ run on Justice League America gets the respect it deserves. He’s one of the absolute masters of the DCU, and of course the Justice League is THE team supreme of the DCU, but when people praise one or the other, very rarely do I see anyone praise Jurgens and his take on the League.

It definitely needs a greater spotlight, because both Jurgens’ run with the title and that era of the Justice League franchise deserve substantially more praise than what they get.

That’s why August General in Iron is my pick, too. After him, I’d go with Booster Gold, because I love him to pieces and it’s Booster flippin’ Gold leading a Justice League! :hugs: :hugs: Talk about a key moment in the infancy of The New 52, publishing-wise.

cracks his fingers in anticipation of the fun to come

As Dory said in Finding Nemo, “Oh boy, this is going to be good. I can tell!”

Wasn’t it? I can think of few money shots in a New 52 #1 that are better than that. Just look at all of the wicked cool characters: B’Wana Beast! The Creeper! Metamorpho! Godiva! Frankenstein! Vixen! So much good stuff on that page. :heart:

:rofl: Got to love how a JLU in-joke can endure for just so long.

Seeing him in action in this series via my recent re-read of these issues makes me nostalgic for The Great Ten mini from…2010 or so. I wish that was available in digital.

Heyyyy, Godiva. :smirk: :full_moon_with_face: :superman_hv_4:

And Green Lantern Booster Gold saves the day again! Hoo-ray for Hollywood, Green Lantern, Supernova Booster Gold! :partying_face: :tada:

Thanks for chiming in, @ajm08g! I hope you’re ready for something dark and sinister in Week 33. Mwa. Ha. Ha. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Well hello there Vroom. :wave: :sunglasses:

Interesting. :thinking:

Yeah sometimes I wonder how the experience would be different when reading a series from one book to another before having them all like we do on DCUI. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Lots of shock I’m sure and the anticipation for the next one would have been fun to experience… Although… Having them all in one place on DCUI does save me quite a bit and being able to dive right in to the next one as well is nice. :joy:

Yup, I’d still say that’s my top read as well. :clark_hv_4:

This is also true. :rofl:

I still wonder about the time though he was more… Nice? :open_mouth:

As seen in the earlier Suicide Squad books when those teams worked together. :thinking:

It was kind of a shock as I read about it for the first time when it was actively displayed during the reading of the bonus points at the time here. :sweat_smile:

I do not mind it, although maybe if there are more flashbacks to the time both Superman and Wonder Woman worked together to see how more there relationship was built it might have not given me quite the shock since I do like Superman and Lois together. :superman_hv_3: :woman:

Guess I will have to keep reading through that JL run as well to see what else happens and if those happen or see where the relationship goes. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Oh yes, this is also good that it was not just a one and done. :smiley: :+1:

Nice. :sunglasses:

And yes… Definitely ouch… :flushed:

That’s unfortunate… :pensive:

But nice for us to highlight it. :grin: :00_justice_league:

Very true. :clark_hv_4:

I may had to look up who B’Wana Beast was though. :sweat_smile: :eyes:

Yes! Go Booster Green Lantern! :00_booster_gold: :rofl:

It’s also nice that I recognized her from reading through the Flashpoint tie-ins. :flash_hv_1:

You’re welcome Vroom, always a pleasure. :clark_hv_4:

Looking forward to getting started on this weeks readings soon. :nerd_face: :books:

Also sorry I missed the latest watch-along, it’s been a long week… :pensive:

2 Likes

I’ll respond more in-depth later, but don’t worry about missing the WAL.

Do what you can, when you’re able. If nothing else, you’re always present in spirit. :superman_hv_3:

1 Like