Happy Suicide Squad Day/Week, League!
This week, I’m serving a buffet that is full of delicious treats, be they titles starring the Justice League, or books starring characters that have been in a Justice League at some point. The thread linking all of them? They all feature characters seen in The Suicide Squad.
You don’t have to read all of the books in this literary buffet. Pick one or two that star a character from the movie that you may not know much, if anything, about and go from there. Then choose a few more. This is one buffet that you can come back to again and again wherein you will always find something new to sink your teeth into.
Comics starring the Suicide Squad:
- Justice League International #13
- Suicide Squad #13 (Note: This issue and JLI #13 told the tale of the first time the Justice League and Suicide Squad rumbled, long before 2016’s Justice League vs. Suicide Squad mini-series. A special thanks to @CaptainYesterday for highlighting these two issues some time back.)
- Justice League of America (2006-2011) #'s 17 and 18
- Checkmate #'s 6 and 7
Comics featuring King Shark:
Comics featuring assorted members of the Suicide Squad:
- Booster Gold #1 (Blackguard)
- Superman #4 (Bloodsport)
- Superman #170 (Mongal)
- Justice League vs. Suicide Squad (Amanda Waller, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang and Rick Flag, among others)
Comics featuring Starro:
- The Brave and The Bold #28, featuring the first appearances of Starro and the Justice League of America!
- Justice League of America #'s 189 and 190
- Justice League Adventures #5
- Booster Gold #'s 13 and 14
- DC Super Friends #12
This week features two different takes on the Justice League and Suicide Squad duking it out: The two-parter from Justice League International #13 and Suicide Squad #13, along with 2016-2017’s Justice League vs. Suicide Squad event mini-series. Which of these tales featuring a titanic tussle of The World’s Greatest Super-Heroes™ and The World’s Unlikeliest Heroes™ was your favorite?
Who from The Suicide Squad movie would you place in the ranks of the Justice League (be it a comic-based League, or the DCEU iteration)? Surely there’s one person on Amanda Waller’s team that could be amongst the proverbial angels of the League…right? Anyone? Bueller?
Which of this week’s picks do you feel best captured the tone, characters and aesthetics of The Suicide Squad?
Finally, which books did you select, and what was it about them that caught your discerning attention?
That’s your mission, League! Again, you can read any of the books above that you want. Don’t rack your brain thinking you have to read all of them, because you don’t. This is just a medley of schtuff featuring some of our latest big screen superstars that you can pick and choose from at your leisure.
I mean, heh-heh, it’s not like Amanda Waller is overseeing this or anything…
phone rings, he picks it up and speaks to the person on the other end, then hangs up
Read the comics. ALL of the comics.
Have fun League, and enjoy The Suicide Squad, both on-screen and (of course) on the page!