Justice League Book Club Week 23: :00_dc_pride: DC Pride Spotlight: The Ray :00_dc_pride:

Hello, and Happy :00_dc_pride: Pride Month :00_dc_pride: JLBC!

This week, the spotlight is on Ray Terrill, aka The Ray, who got a wonderful reinvention in the Rebirth volume of Justice League of America, courtesy of writer Steve Orlando. Let’s take a look at what’s :boom: :boom: :boom: blazing forth! :boom: :boom: :boom:

Read :books:

Discuss :speaking_head:

• Have you read these shining tales of adventure?
  • What are your thoughts on The Ray being a part of this particular League and how his superhero adventures relate to his personal goings-on?
  • Anything else that comes to your beamingly brilliant minds. :sunny: :sunny:

Watch :tv:

• This Saturday, the 12th, we’ll doing a Watch-Along of Freedom Fighters: The Ray at 2PM PT/5PM ET. Join us for what will surely be a shining good time! :sun_with_face:

That’s the score/scoop, League! Read and discuss the Rebirth version of The Ray, join in on the fun this Saturday for the Watch-Along of Freedom Fighters: The Ray and as always, have fun! :partying_face: :justice_league_book_club: :superman:

7 Likes

Check out this thread for all of the sunny details about our forthcoming Watch-Along of Freedom Fighters: The Ray! :sunny: :sunny: :slight_smile: :sunny: :sunny:

5 Likes

Today’s Tuesday, which means that its…:superman: :batman: :00_wonder_woman_stars: New DC Comics Day! :00_lc_green_lantern1: :00_flash1: :0_supergirl: :0_nightwing: :partying_face: :confetti_ball:

Yeah, Adam West knew the score! Do it, Mr. West! :man_dancing:

Here’s a look at new Justice League-related comics that are absolutely worth your time/attention/dollar this week:

Brand-New Comics

DC celebrates Pride Month with nine all-new stories starring fan-favorite LGBTQIA+ characters Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Midnighter, Extraño, Batwoman, Aqualad, Alan Scott, Obsidian, Future State Flash, Renee Montoya, Pied Piper, and many more! This anthology will also feature:
-The thrilling introduction of new hero DREAMER in the DCU
(as seen on The CW’s Supergirl)!
-A pinup gallery with art by Travis Moore, Kris Anka, Kevin Wada, Sophie Campbell, Nick Robles, and more!
-Six exciting new profiles of DCTV’s LGBTQIA+ characters and the actors who play them!

DC Pride #1 variant by Jen Bartel

The above comic isn’t Justice League-related necessarily, but it obviously ties into the Pride Spotlight, as does our focus on The Ray (who shoud’ve been on the main cover, I feel).

Moving on with the New Hotness!

Variant by InHyuk Lee

The League needs to prevent galactic upheaval by protecting a ruthless killer, and the only way to do that is to visit the scene of their greatest failure! But can Superman ignore the ghosts of the past to do what’s needed?

Justice League-related Comics New to DC Universe Infinite

DCeased: Dead Planet #6

The remaining heroes of the DC Universe are stuck between Hell and a hard place! With the Justice League racing against the clock to create a cure, the cruel masters of the southern garden are determined to wipe all anti-life from the planet. Just when you didn’t think it could get worse…the war to save Earth takes a devilish new direction! Trigon is coming to end the world as Hell is long due its payment in souls!

Justice League: Endless Winter #1

“Endless Winter” chapter one! The crossover event of the season begins here! The Justice League encounters an extinction-level global storm brewing at the former site of the Fortress of Solitude. Enter the Frost King, a monster mad with power with an army at his command! What devastating mystery lies in his past? And how does he tied to Queen Hippolyta, Swamp Thing, Viking Prince, and their reluctant ally, Black Adam? Two timelines will reveal further clues and secrets throughout each chapter of this blockbuster tale!

Who’s Who Update 1987 #2

New characters, corrected information, and all-new art, as we go from A to Z. This month: Catwoman, Ch’p, Doctor Fate II, Electric Warrior, Flash III, and Fury I.

Whether it’s a brand-new read, something new to DC Universe Infinite or both, there’s always a new Justice League-related adventure for YOU! :justice_league_book_club: :superman:

3 Likes

Pride_Profile_The Ray

:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: The Ray. The son of the Golden Age Ray, Raymond Terrill was literally kept in the dark to prevent his light-based powers from activating when he was too young to handle them. And, it is an impressive array of powers from light rays, hard light constructs, invisibility, light healing, and law breaking faster than light speed flight. Created by Jack Harris and Joe Quesada for The Ray #1 in 1992, the hero would appear as a member of the Justice League, Young Justice, the JSA, and naturally Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters. The Ray’s Justice League Rebirth issue highlights some of his struggles as a young gay man isolated from society.

The Ray has also appeared in the CW’s Arrowverse crossover “Crisis on Earth-X,” where he is married to an alternate earth version of Captain Cold, Len Snart. Russel Tovey reprises his role as The Ray in CW Seed’s animated show Freedom Fighters: The Ray which pits the gay superhero against Nazis.

The Ray (1994)

The Ray (2011)

The Ray Rebirth

Justice League of America

5 Likes

If you haven’t read Endless Winter, it’s starting to hit DCUI now (as @Vroom says above) put that on your must read list.

4 Likes

In the words of Yoda, “Yes, to @msgtv you listen to.”

Endless Winter was a fun read. Once it’s available on DCUI in full, it might be getting a week (or two) in the spotlight. Might be, being the operative phrase. :smirk:

4 Likes

Admittedly, I know very little about this character, but I’m looking forward to reading more! Great choice!

Looking for opinions on continuing w/ this??

I read the first issue. These pages feel very relevant to the festivities:

3 Likes

Well, bust my buttons! Look folks, it’s @Razzzcat! Let’s give her a round of applause!

Sure, that can work. Have you come across the New 52 era series of The Ray? Its the Lucien Gates iteration, and while not being Pride-oriented, it’s a fun mini all the same, should one want to expand their Ray intake.

Agreed. If memory serves, there was a scene in Freedom Fighters: The Ray very similar to that. In the comic and movie, that scene served as a nice visual metaphor for where Ray was in his life and where he wanted to be in his life. In embracing his powers as a superhero, he ultimately embraced who he is on the inside and who he wants to be as a person in general.

Thanks for chiming in, Razzz. I hope you check out the other issues, as they’re quite shiny. :sunny:

2 Likes

On it! :white_check_mark: Thank you, Sir @Vroom!!

I started this one… :eyes: wasn’t expecting :00_black_canary: Canary and Lobo :partying_face:

2 Likes

She’s pretty.

You’re welcome, Lady @Razzzcat/:sparkles: Razzle-Dazzle :sparkles:! :ok_hand:t2:

As I’m a big Lobo nerd, I’m biased in saying this, but his tenure in the Rebirth JLA was great, Clyde. I never thought that bastich could fit into any kind of League, but Steve Orlando happily proved me wrong. Plus, if any one character could wrangle The Main Man into a JL, it’s Batman because…“It’s Batman.”, you know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Odd that Ray Terrill’s first series doesn’t seem to be on DCUI. It was a six issue mini series in 1992 drawn by some guy named Joe Quesada. I think he did a little editing over at Marvel.

I like how the Ray’s debut is actually inspired the mayor and former childhood friend who is also putting himself out in public and his life in danger.

I like this Ray’s personality a bit more than the 1990s version. In JLA Batman seems to have a problem with Ray seeing the good in everyone and trying to give everyone a chance. How he got that attitude the way he was raised is the biggest shock of all. Perhaps if Batman told him that Ray’s outlook was like Superman’s, their relationship would have been a bit better.

I really enjoyed the team up of Ray and Aztek. I hope next time we see Vanity the two have totally cleaned up the place. He and Xenos could even still be in a relationship and not have Xenos killed by some villain. It could happen…

3 Likes

Quesada, you say? He must have gone over to Marvel after his cameo as a pizza delivery guy in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Oh! He’s the guy that saved Peter Parker’s marriage in 2007, and to much applause from J. Michael Stracyznski as well. Now I remember him.

3 Likes

Peter Parker got married? When did this happen?

3 Likes

Ah my Google Fu is strong, this did happen.

Presenting to you all this ad from 1994 promoting the new Ray series.

3 Likes

I think it was in the '80s, but Mephisto may have noodled around there, too. Maybe a telegram should be sent Joe Q’s way to ascertain the truth…

All I know is, Todd McFarlane drew an A+ rendition of MJ. Even that marriage-dissolving to save Aunt May Mephisto can’t erase Todd’s artwork of that lovely redhead.

2 Likes

My boy.

Really enjoyed Freedom Fighters: The Ray mini series I recommend it. All Star voice casting. Basically the Arrowverse actors/ actresses….

1 Like

A solid figure from a solid wave.

1 Like

Ty. Hi buddy :metal:how’s things & stuff?

1 Like

Doing good, and you?

Also, be sure to check out the New 52 anniversary goings-on in my Justice League and Superman clubs, as well as clubs run by @Razzzcat, @D4RK5TARZ and @JasonTodd428. Lots of good reads in those!

2 Likes

I’m diggin away. I’m 2 weeks off. Just got back yesterday. Reading 2 Tuesday’s of drops. Than the monthly drops. Than I gotta hit up the clubs. Did u see Scooby-Doo & Batman Brave & Bold animated movie is on HBO MAX? Animated club watch that yet? I’ve seen it twice. Day it came out & hasn’t been on anything else since til now. Just need JL Action added & I’ll be satiated…

1 Like