Justice League Book Club Week 18: Injustice: Gods Among Us

Happy New DC Comics Day, League! I hope you’re all well and ready for the big duke-a-roo rumble that is Injustice: Gods Among Us! Read on for the details pertaining to this ever-popular tale!

:books: Read:

• Injustice: Gods Among Us Which issues you ask? As many as you like! If you’re like me, this will be akin to the comic equivalent of Lay’s Potato Chips: You can’t read just six or so. You need to eat/read them all! :grinning:

:speaking_head: Discuss:

• Have you played the Injustice video games?
  • Was Superman justified in his actions in chapter one?
  • Are you Team Superman or Team Batman?
  • Which chapter/issue was your favorite?

As always, you’re welcome to chime in with any other thoughts you have. :superman_hv_4:

This is but the first of more Injustice-based action and adventure featuring the heroes of the Justice League to come to the Justice League Book Club in the weeks ahead, so get in on the ground floor while the getting is good!

That’s the mission, League! Have fun and enjoy! :grin: :justice_league_book_club:

SN: Yes, I know the above is Arkhamverse Harley and not Injustice Harley, but it’s a video game Harley and we’re talking about a video game-based comic, so there we have it. :clark_hv_4: Now go and read! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here’s the latest in new Justice League comic goodness this week, both at your favorite comic store and on DC Universe Infinite:

Brand-new Justice League comics:

• Justice League #60

Regular cover by David Marquez

Variant cover by Kael Ngu

Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Aquaman, and Hawkgirl join forces with Black Adam to fight an all-new world conqueror! But how do they stop the unstoppable power known as Brutus? Enter new mega-power sensation Naomi, who comes face to face with the League and brings along Queen Hippolyta of the Amazons for a blockbuster battle for the ages-with a last-page cliffhanger that will leave everyone guessing what’s next!

And in the backup tale, the new Justice League meets the new Justice League Dark, and the demon Etrigan calls the team to action-but Batman has other plans. This team needs a leader, but what twisted secret prevents Zatanna from stepping forward? Plus, Ragman makes a startling discovery-one that may cost his life!

Blake, Yang, and Clark come face-to-face with a trident wielding boy who can command sea-life while searching the harbor. But is the princely boy the one taking control of people all over Remnant? And what is his mysterious connection to Clark?

New to DC Universe Infinite Justice League comics:

Final issue! The Justice League’s intergalactic team of Green Lantern Jessica Cruz, Orion of the New Gods, Red Lantern Dex-Starr, and New Teen Titans Starfire and Cyborg make a final stand against Darkseid in a battle that reshapes the cosmic landscape across every sector of space!

The Wonder Twins’ birthday celebration is interrupted by an emergency distress call. With the Green Fury outnumbered against foes in the Amazon, the twins will have to wait to blow out their candles until the Super Friends can help defeat “The Demons from the Green Hell."

What new Justice League books are you checking out this week? Sound out below, as Injustice Superman wants to know!

4 Likes

Hmmmmm. Tempting and bookmarked.

3 Likes

@Don-El is here! Woot-woot! :batparrot: :superman_fan_club:

Pull up a chair and join the League, good sir. You are quite welcome here. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A while back, around when the DCU service first started, I read a lot of these digital first issues and went all the way up to around the start of Year 2. I might have to get back on that and see how far I can go. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

where do we discuss?

1 Like

@Vroom ?

1 Like

This is the thread to discuss Injustice in

3 Likes

I think I’ll start by reading the last couple of issues of the current Injustice Prelude Year Zero.

3 Likes

Done, now back to the show…Injustice: God’s Among Us!

3 Likes

@Jurisdiction Like our wise pal @Don-El said, this is yon thread for ye discussion o’ the gods sluggin’ the potatoes out of each other.

That goes for every discussion in the JLBC also, as each thread equals home base for each week’s discussion. :slight_smile:

SN: Anyone pick up Justice League #60 or RWBY/Justice League #7? I’m always curious to hear thoughts on brand-new Justice League adventures, as well. :clark_hv_4:

goes back to reading Justice League #60 while watching Justice League Action

2 Likes

Well then, can I just start talking whenever @Vroom ?

1 Like

Absolutely! Once each week’s thread goes up, you are welcome to chime in at any time and talk to your heart’s content about the week’s chosen read, new Justice League comics (new DC comics in general, really) and the like.

I’ve even been known to let non-book club discussions happen within our chosen topic of each week. Once or twice. :wink:

2 Likes

yay!

1 Like

:partying_face: :champagne: :batparrot:

2 Likes

okay. so I have played both Injustice games and read all the Injustice comics, but since this is strictly Gods Among Us, I’ll focus on that. I think that for the first part of Year 1 in Gods Among Us, Superman’s actions were justified. I think once he started fighting Batman and other heroes who tried to stop him, that’s when his actions became unjustifiable in my opinion. I’ve read all 5 years, but my favorite is Year 5. I thought Batwoman’s sacrifice was really well done, and I loved the battles and bottled up conflict between the Regime and the Insurgency. Also, I loved how we could see how all the characters have been affected by the destruction of Metropolis, and the formation of the Regime.

3 Likes

For the weekend, here are eBay photos of the Injustice: Gods Among Us figures from Mattel’s DC Comics Unlimited line:

4 Likes

Well, first @Vroom thanks for posting this thread. Previously I had only read the first 4 or so digital issues of this, so your thread gave me an excuse to dig a little bit deeper. Spoiler alert: I’ve dug deep enough, now I’m good lol.

Tom Taylor…I’ve read other stuff by him I believe it was Marvel’s X-23 turned “Wolverine” series, the young girl. That was decent enough.

I’ve been following his Injustice: Year Zero because it features the JSA, who like the Legion have been missing as a regular monthly feature for quite a number of years now.

Bottom line: some of this up through issue 16 or 17 with the nonsensical accidental death of Nightwing by Damian was a good read, some was not really good fictional logic, and maybe due to the unrelenting horror of this pandemic, I just don’t crave the thrill of watching superheroes violently and with heavy gore dismantle each other in anger.

No question in real life if someone had even a tenth of Superman’s power, no good would come of it. Technological and biological advances have brought us wonders but look what else it’s brought- everyone has a semiautomatic to let off some steam when they need to. Folks with a Superman level of power could well do far worse than this version of Superman ends up doing.

What I don’t buy is how quickly it all happens. If Mr. Taylor had allowed a year or more to pass and have all this slowly develop, I would have bought into the premise a bit more. Most people don’t turn into what Superman does here when faced with tragedy overnight.

Anyway, I’m all set now. This series also reminded me why I’m not on Team Harley. She’s a murderer, over and over, why would I be cheering that on? Because she says jokes while she slays folks? Uh, seems a tad of an unhealthy fantasy to dwell on, again in this day and age where it’s beginning to feel unsafe to even go grocery shopping or attend a movie without kelvar on.

3 Likes

Well hello there Justice League Book Club Tally-Ho and super friends. :wave: :sunglasses:

So far I’ve managed to get to the half way point in Year One… And since I’ve gotten to those three infamous words to be continued… I’ll be continuing to see what else happens. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Not yet… But seeing all the trailers for it, perhaps one day as that would be a fun afternoon I’m sure. :grin:

Oh a tough one… I understand why Superman did what he did… Although, reading later on… When Batman mentioned to Superman starting killing even one person blurs the line between right and wrong is not worth it. Even if it could prevent other possible tragedies… Batman is right in not crossing the line! :eyes:

This is how I might have gone about things. :superman_hv_4:

From where I stopped right now… I’m thinking I might side with Batman. :batman_hv_1:

I wonder if maybe Injustice Superman would enjoy being in the company of Red Son Superman? :thinking:

Or maybe that might snap Injustice Superman out of it and the path he’s going on… :open_mouth:

Well… To be continued. :joy:

Here are some of my favorite panels though from what I’ve read. :grin:

Injustice: Gods Among Us Year One Panels

4 Likes

my favorite pages are in Year 5 #18

The pages

2 Likes