Justice League Book Club Week 13: A New Frontier

Yes! I may have added a few more to my reading lists that Cooke worked on to get more of that feeling as well… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Also, yes! Mr. Johns’ stories are a lot of fun reading and maybe I might have to make a list just for his stories… Seem to be getting into the habit that once my lists top 100 items, it’s time to make more! :joy: :superman_hv_4:

2 Likes

I personally love JL: The New Frontier for so many reasons, but honestly I think the biggest one is that it provides an in-universe explanation for the real world transition between the Golden Age and Silver Age in an epic story that acknowledges so much of the past and then updates it for the future. Darwyn Cooke was such a genius.

2 Likes

I read it as it came out and now own the original issues, trade paperback and the Absolute Edition.

Oh yes I am a fan. I don’t buy variants often, but had to have them for Darwyn Cooke month back in the New52 era. New Frontier is my favorite work by him. He is missed.

We are now a couple of months into Infinite Frontier. My favorites so far are Batman/Superman, Nightwing, Crime Syndicate and Justice League. In other words, the ones that have nothing to do with Future State.

I was pretty much pre sold on New Frontier when it came out. Back in the 1990s James Robinson wrote a mini series called The Golden Age. It was excellent and had a last page that might have been a taste of a Silver Age series. It never happened. The other part was that New Frontier read like an expansion of one my all time favorite issue of JLA. #144 had some of the same themes of J’onn, the Red Scare, and the DC Silver Age coming together.

2 Likes

What I liked most about New Frontier was

Jonn
Barry
Hal

Being inexperienced heroes

Given their power sets

The older, experienced versions

Should be impossible to defeat

Here they are vulnerable and more relatable to the reader

1 Like

Indeed he is missed. His design of Catwoman for his and Brubaker’s Catwoman run is still my favorite modern look of Selina’s.

His animation work is solid too, especially the opening titles of Batman Beyond, which he designed.

I’m enjoying Crime Syndicate a lot. I didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do, but it’s quite fun so far.

Nightwing…Nightwing just IS. I recently trimmed down my Infinite Frontier reading list, and Nightwing is now the only Batbook I’m currently reading in singles. From my least favorite Rebirth title to now my favorite current Batman-related title, Nightwing has come a long way.

…and of course I’m digging Justice League. I think Bendis’s run is off to a good start.

1 Like