Justice League Book Club Week 1: Brave Beginnings and Bold Futures

Welcome to Week 1 of the Justice League Book Club! :partying_face:

To kick things off, we’ll be looking at where the Justice League began in 1960 in the pages of The Brave and The Bold, to where they wound up well over three decades later in the beginning of JLA, one of the most heralded Justice League ongoing titles EVER.

What to read:

• The Brave and The Bold #28, the first appearance of the Justice League of America!
  • JLA #'s 1-4, the debut of Grant Morrison’s fan-favorite run on the title (be sure to note how the story in each issue bears the title of a classic sci-fi movie :slight_smile: )!

Discussion Questions:

• Is this your first time reading the debut of the JLA in The Brave and The Bold #28?
  • What are your thoughts on how Grant Morrison brought together a new League for a new era?
  • What was your favorite moment from this week’s material?

This discussion will run from today, October 5th, until Thursday, October 15th. That’s right, TEN DAYS! Our normal discussions will go for one week and start on Thursdays, but in honor of this being Week 1, I wanted to start on a Monday and give anyone interested an ample amount of time to read and take in the wonderful adventures before you.

That’s the mission, League. Start reading and have FUN! :clark_hv_4:

6 Likes

Oh Snap!

2 Likes

Hello, @Aquamon! :wave:t2:

Have a seat and dive into some fun reads! :grin:

2 Likes

Will do, thank you good sir! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

The honor’s all on this side of the table, good sir. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This will be my first time reading this run of JLA but I’ve certainly read TB&TB along will silver age JLA. It’s been a bit since I’ve read this but if memory serves me right I was bummed that the whole team didn’t fight him at once and Supes & Bats are not really apart of the story. There’s a issue with my account right now and can’t use the comic reader at the moment :shushing_face: but I think it starts with me then some drive by talk with bats and the story is really about MM/flash/MM&WW. :thinking: it’s been a min.

3 Likes

gasps

You’ve not read JLA, the greatest Justice League ongoing ever? Strap yourself in, partner! It’s awesome!

2 Likes

Just not Morrison’s run
But seat belt is on stand by. :wink:

2 Likes

Make sure it’s a high quality belt. You’ll need it as we gradually go through his run.

2 Likes

Re
The lack of Superman and Batman in early JLA
@msgtv tells the reason
In this DC History Club link

5 Likes

I have read the first Justice League story before, but it has been a very long time. I have not read the other run before, so this was new to me. I enjoyed the story, although I don’t like Superman’s hair. It was interesting to have the villains be Martians.

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed Morrison’s debut on JLA. Have you read anything else of his run on the series, or is the whole thing brand new to you?

Speaking of the White Martians, check out the first three episodes of Justice League, Season 1. They’re the catalyst for why that League comes together.

3 Likes

I havent read any of his JLA. I read his Animal Man years ago and enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I love everything of Morrison’s that I’ve read, regardless of publisher (his New X-Men is still an all-time favorite X-run of mine), but JLA’s at the top of the list for me.

Animal Man is one of his few credits that I’ve not read in full. Still, what I have read is pretty sweet.

3 Likes

I started reading
The JLA
With Brave and Bold 30
Which I still consider
The best of the tryouts

The first two tryout issues
Which I read as reprints
Are very flat to me

Issue 28 is really
A solo GL segment
Then a WW and MM tesmup
Then a Flash segment

There was not even
An attempt to use Aquaman.

JLA by Morrison was action packed

Finally the Big 7 were back
Instead of the maInly B or C listers that the team had
Devoled into

And yet it eas fresh
Wally and Kyle were new

Clark Bruce and Jonn were the three leaders

Bats was the most dangerous

WW was used properly

The Peter David vetsion of
Aquaman was finally not a wimp
But a valuable player

A great run.

6 Likes

Howdy, @TurokSonOfStone1950! :wave:t2: Glad to see you, man. :clark_hv_4:

I agree that JLA was a great run. Granted, I’m enormously biased, but which other ongoing of the last 24 years since JLA launched can boast of writers like Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Joe Kelly, Kurt Busiek, Geoff Johns and others?

In JLA #1, its funny to see where Morrison takes digs at lesser-known characters, be they in-panel or not. Someone will say “What happened to so and so?” with the typical response being “I don’t know, they lost their powers or something.”

Another great aspect of the first arc of JLA is Howard Porter’s art. When I hear his name, my mind instantly flashes to this series. He made a name for himself on this book, one that will hopefully continue to stand the test of time.

4 Likes

Oops, didn’t realize this had started… I’ll get started on reading these right away.

3 Likes

No worries, friend. You’ve until the 15th. Read and enjoy. :clark_hv_4:

SN: I don’t impose a “lock” on reading. Anyone can read whatever, whenever and comment whenever. I’m flexible.

4 Likes

@Vroom, have you read those 2 digital superman comics that are on here? Man of tomorrow I think. I thought they were pretty solid. I could nitpick a thing or to about the ending with the gambler in #2 but overall I felt like I was walking into a familiar place with characters acting and sounding like I imagine they would in those situations.

1 Like

Grant Morrison JLA is the only comic where I like blue supes

1 Like