:00_dc_pride: Justice League Book Club Celebrates Pride Month with Wonder Woman: Earth One Volume One :00_dc_pride:

Happy :00_dc_pride_bs: :00_dc_pride_as: Pride Month, @JusticeLeagueBookClub! :00_dc_pride_bs: :00_dc_pride_as:

To celebrate Pride Month, we’re taking a look at the initial adventure of the openly bisexual Wonder Woman seen in Grant Morrison’s Wonder Woman: Earth One Volume One!

The Mighty Morrison Manner of action and adventure starring DC’s greatest champion of tolerance, love and acceptance begins right here: :point_down:t2:

Things to stir a cup of conversation by :coffee::

:wondersquadron1: Have you read the Wonder Woman: Earth One books? If you have, which of the 3 volumes is your favorite?

:wondersquadron1: Where do you rank Wonder Woman: Earth One amongst the other Earth One series?

:wondersquadron1: What are your thoughts on the Earth One Wonder Woman when compared to her traditional mainline counterpart?

:wondersquadron1: Is Yanick Paquette a modern master of Wonder Woman art? (hint: The answer to that is always “yes!” :wink:)

Come one, come all, for everyone’s welcome in the Justice League Book Club!

8 Likes

You’ve read Wonder Woman: Earth One Volume One, and now you want more of Diana as written by Grant Morrison, right? Of course!

Here ya go! Enjoy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Id have to say the third one was my favorite personally.
The first one was okay, but it also felt like Morrison read the first few issues of Wonder Womans heyday and tried rehashing that but also making the Amazons into huge jerks and it kinda left me feeling like Morrison didn’t much grasp the concept.

The second volume was probably my least favorite.
He took Doctor Psycho and made him a sleezy pick up artist who works for the government.
Not the over the top crazy psychic spewing ectoplasm everywhere who was striving to preach his mysogenistic beliefs in an effort to make everyone subscribe to his hatred from the golden age,
nor the terrifying modern incarnation who will sit back with a gleeful grin as he forces someone to carve out their own brains and eat it with a spoon.
The use of other characters was not to my taste and the whole way the story was done in this volume felt rather awkward to me.

The third volume meanwhile left Diana in a position wherin she was now queen of the Amazons. Trying to bring the Amazons together to battle an OMAC invasion by Maxwell Lord who was secretly Ares. This story was blatantly borrowing from Ruckas story but felt like it had a firm grasp of what the story was it was trying to tell which worked well for it.

Well ive not read the Superman one so I can’t really compare that one.
But the others…
Batman Earth One was good but didn’t really blow me away. Honestly ive just seen to much Batman elseworlds to really get much of an impression.
Teen Titans was fun and rather creative. And I really enjoyed Green Lantern.

So worst to best…
4. Batman
3. Teen Titans
2. Wonder Woman

1. Green Lantern

Geeeez. The art was easily the best part. From seeing how this terrific artist draws the kanga (seeing those designs you can BELIEVE that they can jump from planet to planet!)
The designs for the architecture and scenery. The designs for robots, cyclops, and everything in the Underworld. And gosh, that wonderous design for Artemis and that fight scene!

The art is easily the best element of the entire book.

3 Likes

Greetings, @nuuninuunani! :slight_smile:

Having recently finished Volume Three (better late than never, right? :wink:), I’m inclined to agree.

Of course, I love Rucka’s runs on Wonder Woman (especially the Infinite Crisis lead-in), so I might be a bit biased in liking EOV3 because of its similarities to those tales, but if I am, then I am.

SN: All hail Rucka!

Well, we need to fix that, we do! :nerd_face: You can check out Superman: Earth One Volume One right here:

As for my Earth One ranking, this is my current top 5:

1. Superman v1 (Davis’ art is just gorgeous)
  2. Wonder Woman v3
  3. Green Lantern v1
  4. Batman v1
  5. Superman v2

Honorable Mention: Teen Titans v1.

Quoted for truth, because I agree with absolutely every word.

Thanks for stopping by, @nuuninuunani! There’ll be more Wonder Woman stuff coming in the year for the JLBC, so I hope to see you again! :smiling_face:

1 Like

:wondersquadron1: Have you read the Wonder Woman: Earth One books? If you have, which of the 3 volumes is your favorite?

I’ve read the first one a couple of times, the second one once, and while I have the third, it’s still wrapped in plastic. Reading this again inspired me to go and read through the rest of the series. :smiley:

:wondersquadron1: Where do you rank Wonder Woman: Earth One amongst the other Earth One series?

That’s a hard one.

I think with Superman and Batman they both had really strong starts with the later installments being good but having some wonky parts. To be fair, it’s been a while since I read the Superman books and haven’t read the third volume of Batman, so I definitely plan on rereading those at some point.

I’ve only read the first volume of the GL book but I liked what I saw. The notion to set it in a near future was very novel and gave it a different feel.

The Teen Titans books…they certainly do exist.

So right now I would probably rank the series as:

1. Wonder Woman: Earth One
  2. Batman: Earth One
  3. Green Lantern: Earth One
  4. Superman: Earth One
  5. Teen Titans: Earth One

But these are my thoughts from reading them ages ago and it’ll probably shift around once I have a more fresh perspective. I get the feeling the last one will probably stay the last, though…:sweat_smile:

:wondersquadron1: What are your thoughts on the Earth One Wonder Woman when compared to her traditional mainline counterpart?

She’s pretty interesting. One of the big differences between the two is that Wonder Woman…does not fight a single person in this story. She uses her strength against objects and saves people with her power, but instead of, say, fighting the Medusa to save the people, she immediately stops it by surrendering to the loving submission of her sisters. The idea of a more pacifistic Wonder Woman is something that probably couldn’t last for very long (and from what I’ve seen of the third volume of WWEO, I don’t think it lasts very long here), but for this story, it definitely makes it stand apart.

:wondersquadron1: Is Yanick Paquette a modern master of Wonder Woman art? (hint: The answer to that is always “yes!” :wink:)

Absolutely some of the best art in Paquette’s career. I’ve loved his work since I first saw it in Scott Snyder’s run on Swamp Thing, and one of the things he does amazingly well is the way he designs and frames his pages. They’re often very graphic, helping fit the mood of the scene, without breaking the storytelling process from panel to panel.

1 Like