Just finished Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, what next?

I just finished Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run, and now there is a green hole in my heart. What Swamp Thing runs should I read next? I haven’t read any Swamp Thing other than Alan Moore’s run and the Swamp Thing Winter Special (which is what got me into Swampy, I highly recommend to anyone who hasn’t read it!)

4 Likes

Read the original 1972 run on Swamp Thing by Len Wein! It’s much more straightforward than Moore’s run, but provides valuable context for the twists that he pulls on the character — and is not without its own charms.

6 Likes

You can keep reading the Rick Veitch issues that followed Moore’s run. Veitch worked on the book as an artist before he took over writing duties. I’m also partial to the Nancy A. Collins run.

2 Likes

Will do! I just remembered I got in a Dollar Comic reprint of the first issue of that series a few days ago, so that will be an excellent way to start!

1 Like

I’ve been loving Rick’s artwork so you don’t have to pull my atm, and I’ll check out Nancy’s run too!

1 Like

I happen to have just read Alan Moore’s swamp thing myself and it was great! I have a TPB called Bronze Age Swamp Thing Volume 1. It contains all of Wien and Wrightsons early work on swamp thing. Not to take away from the original creators , but it might be hard to go back to reading those issues after reading Alan Moore’s work. He really took Swamp Thing to the limit.

Anyways I’ve been wondering what to read next myself. The nice thing is that all (?) of the collected issues of Swamp thing are here on the App. I know that Alan Moore’s debut featured Arcane dead in a plane crash and I’d like to backtrack a little and fill in the gap from what I’ve read of the early issues up to that point. Moore’s story ended so nicely with Alec and Abby retiring to their plant cottage I’m tempted to just leave it there! I literally haven’t read anything else with ST since that but I’m looking forward to seeing what else there is.

2 Likes

I feel the same way about the ending of Alan’s run haha, I’m so scared that whatever comes next will be disappointing from how good everything else has been!

OK, First off, I’m very happy you got to read Swamp Thing by Alan Moore, it is one of the best runs on a character ever made and I love it to death. I am happy that someone else got to read it and love it as much as I do. Second, I haven’t read the series after Moore’s run because I don’t want to ruin the effect the series has, but if your curious, I recommend continuing with the series. Explore more of it and if you haven’t, read Len Wein’s original series, its good because it’s fun and you see a sense of progression after reading Moore. Third, If you like some of the thought provoking stories that Moore created, I would recommend checking out other series that continue what Moore started. Here are some suggestions.

Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison
Animal Man by Grant Morrison
Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman
The Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Mister Miracle by Tom King
and if you haven’t: Watchmen by Alan Moore

All are in the similar vain as Swamp Thing. Fourthly, not to brag but Wednesday I will be releasing a series called Black Orchid and the Swamp Thing, which is a continuation and is ignoring anything after the final issue of Moore’s run. If you wish, you can check it out when I post it, just look for the post and enjoy.

2 Likes

What the Nancy A. Collins run has to offer is the first-hand experience of an author who actually grew up in the deep South, which is something that neither Wein nor Moore had. If you want to sample the benefits of that familiarity with the setting and its folk tales, I would recommend checking out issue #111.

1 Like

I’m about a third of the way through the Len Wein series. Really liking BW’s art. After reading the previous comments I’m pretty stoked about Moore’s run. Swamp Thing was always one of those series that I was “going to get to next”. After starting it I’m really liking it. Watching the episodes from season 1 is a nice addition to the books.

1 Like

Thanks for such a thorough answer, I started Sandman recently and am LOVING it. About to start volume 2! I also got Death deluxe and edition and I adore it. I’ll be sure to check out the others you suggested!

Ooo that’s interesting to hear, I’ll be checking out her run for sure. Thanks!

1 Like

It breaks my heart that we won’t get a season 2 ;-;

1 Like

Same. :frowning: Fingers crossed maybe they’ll try it out on HBO Max​:crossed_fingers:t3:

As for what to read next I vote read them all.
I’ve enjoyed every run—Tho, I am terribly biased (luv me some Swampy). Unpopular opinion, perhaps, but I dug the New52 run and all the JLD.

1 Like

Speaking of the New 52 run, I have another unpopular opinion - I didn’t really like the Rotworld story, despite having favorable opinions of both Jeff Lemire and Scott Snyder.

For me, New 52 Swamp Thing got TONS better when Charles Soule took over writing as of issue #19, and I am also a giant fan of Jesus Saiz, who took over the art as of issue #21. Those guys stayed with the comic all the way to its conclusion with issue #40.

No kidding that sounds awesome I’d love to have a look at it

If you’re using this app and not buying trades then I’d recommend Young Animal imprints. Watchmen is required reading if you haven’t checked that off yet. Maybe Madame Xanadu. If you have money to spare the trade recommendations can add up. Most have been covered, but both of the “Death” trades by Gaiman are good if you find yourself reading Sandman.

1 Like

I’ve read the Death Deluxe Edition trade by Neil Gaiman, is there more? I absolutely adore that book!

1 Like

There is High Cost of Living and The Time of Your Life.

1 Like

Oh yep, those were both in the deluxe edition. I loved them both so much, Death very quickly become one of my new favorite comic book characters! Hopefully we see more of her some time

1 Like