Just A Quick Question; DC's Best Book?

Hey all, just thought I’d throw a quick question out there:

In your opinion, what is the best book DC is putting out at the moment that no one is reading?

Happy Wednesday!
Brian

5 Likes

If nobody is reading then I have not read it, and I will not judge something I have not read.

My favorite comic from this year right now is “Stargirl Spring Break Special.” :stargirl: On a related note I loved the Hawkman series that ended in November. :00_hawkman:

5 Likes

Ditto! I miss Hawkman

5 Likes

4 Likes

Right now, I’d say The Other History of the DC Universe. Currently selling below the top 100 comics, but some of the most thoughtful, powerful work being done in comics today, all through a deep dive perspective on DC history. Issue 1 is on DC Universe Infinite right now.

5 Likes

Surprisingly, DC’s lowest-selling comic right now is Sweet Tooth: The Return. However, I have a feeling that it’ll pick up sales in trade with the advent of the Sweet Tooth Netflix series.

3 Likes

Their best Batman book ATM is Nightwing. From the lowest of the low during Rebirth, to the highest of highs during Infinite Frontier, this series has been through the ringer. Under Tom Taylor however, it’s emerged as a triumphantly entertaining read.

6 Likes

Nightwing is great, but I’d really put Urban Legends and Joker right up there with it. That said, none of the Bat-books right now really qualify as books that “no one is reading.” They’re all hot sellers.

5 Likes

Eh, Joker is a :-1:t2: from what I’ve read thus far, regardless of sales. I did like Urban Legends, though.

As far as a no-reader…I don’t know if I’d put it in that category, but Justice League: Last Ride has been pretty solid, yet seems to get little attention. It has the League, Apokolips and Lobo…why people aren’t talking about it more is surprising.

5 Likes

Last Ride is too new for us to have sales figures, but I agree it’s been a great read so far. As for Joker, it’s a lot more interesting if you come into it with the knowledge that it’s a Commissioner Gordon story, not a Joker story.

4 Likes

My mind is made up on Joker all the same. :slight_smile:

Last Ride is on #2 as of this week. Any idea on how #1 did?

2 Likes

Nope! Still too new. We don’t have the sales figures for May yet. Good rule of thumb is a two-month wait before data is public.

1 Like

On that note, I imagine the initial Infinite Frontier-themed books have done well. Any indicators on what’s dragging the publishing net in that area yet?

Joker aside, I haven’t read an IF title that doesn’t seem to be a buzzed about book in some way, so far.

3 Likes

Nope. Those Infinite Frontier titles are digital releases, which are measured separately from physical sales.

3 Likes

Not the Secret Files, the books within the IF publishing initiative (Action, Superman, Justice League, etc).

I’m hoping they’ve done well, especially since IF content is in the latest Walmart bundles.

3 Likes

Aha! In that case, here’s a chart where you can check on the numbers for April 2021 yourself.

DC’s top ten titles that month:

1. Batman
  2. Joker
  3. Robin
  4. Batman: The Detective
  5. Batman/Fortnite: Zero Point
  6. Detective Comics
  7. Justice League
  8. Rorschach
  9. Green Lantern
  10. The Next Batman: Second Son
4 Likes

Ah! Batman: The Detective, the only other Batman book besides Nightwing that I’m keeping up with ATM.

I figured that to be a no-reader, but am happy to see its doing so well. Taylor has the Midas Touch right now.

3 Likes

Trust me, there’s a reason DC puts out so many Bat-Books. If Batman’s name is in the title, it’s got an audience.

3 Likes

That’s why Kenner and Hasbro made well over 200+ versions of him.

3 Likes

My first thought was Far Sector, but I’m pretty sure it literally ended last week. My favorite currently is Superman: Red & Blue, but given that it’s Superman I don’t think it qualified for something nobody is reading. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes