June's Community Member of the Month: Mercurie80!

June kicks off tomorrow, which means it’s time to welcome our new DC Community Member of the Month: @mercurie80!

What originally got you into DC Comics?

I vaguely remember watching the final season of Batman '66 when I was really little. And then the various Filmation cartoons (The Batman/Superman Hour and Aquaman ) were on at about the same time. Naturally, when I was old enough to read I sought out Batman comic books Of course, by that time the Batman in the comics was a very different Batman from the one on the TV show. The first Batman comic books I ever read were Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams’s run. I even remember the first comic book story I ever read. It was “Half An Evil” in Batman no. 234 (August 1971), which marked the first appearance of Two-Face in years. Of course, at the time I had no idea who Two-Face was or why his return was significant. I just thought he was a cool villain! Anyway, the Denny O’Neil/Neal Adams Batman stories hooked me on DC, so I soon starting reading the titles of their other characters (Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, and so on).

Who is your favorite DC character, and why?

Batman. He was one of the earliest characters to have a truly tragic origin. Okay, Superman’s home planet exploded, taking his parents with it, but he didn’t remember the event. Bruce Wayne saw his parents murdered right before his eyes. That always resonated with me in a way that the origins of other characters didn’t. Most of us will never be drenched in chemicals and struck by lightning nor will we ever receive a power ring from a dying alien policeman, but all of us will at some point lose someone close to us, even if it’s not in the tragic way Bruce lost his parents. Batman was essentially born out of grief. I think that makes Batman more relatable than other heroes, along with the fact that he doesn’t have any superhuman powers. Of course, here I have to give honorable mentions to Dick Grayson (Robin/Nightwing); Barbara Gordon (Batgirl); Zatanna; the Green Lanterns Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Jessica Cruz; and the original Doom Patrol as well as Crazy Jane. It’s hard for me to pick just one favorite character.

What books are you currently reading?

Right now I am mainly reading older stuff. James Robinson’s The Golden Age , Darwyn Cooke’s DC: The New Frontier , Arnold Drake’s Stanley and His Monster , and the original Arnold Drake run on Doom Patrol . I want to read The Unstoppable Doom Patrol!

Are you watching any DC movies or shows?

I have been re-watching Batman '66 and Batman: The Animated Series . I also started re-watching Gotham this year. I finished up Doom Patro l when it ended its run late last year and I plan to start re-watching it soon. As to movies, recently I watched Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023) and The Blue Beetle (2023). I re-watched Batman (1989) and Batman Returns (1992).

What are you most looking forward to within the DC Universe?

As far as comic books, I am really looking forward to Batman: The Last Halloween . I love The Long Halloween , so it will be a must-read for me. As a huge Zatanna fan, I’m looking forward to Zatanna: Bring Down the House . As far as TV shows, I want to see The Penguin when it comes out later this year. All of the DC movies I am really looking forward to come out next year: Superman , Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow , and The Batman Part II .

What books would you recommend to the general DC Community?

Some of these are for mature readers, so consider yourself warned!

• Batman: The Long Halloween
  • DC: The Final Frontier
  • Detective Comics no. 469 (May 1977) - no. 476 (April 1978) (Steve Englehart’s run on the title, collected as Batman: Strange Apparitions )
  • My Greatest Adventure no. 80 (June 1963)-Doom Patrol no. 121 (September/October 1968) (Arnold Drake’s original Doom Patrol run)
  • Doom Patrol vol. 2 no. 19 (February 1989)-vol. 2 no. 63 (January 1993) (Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol run)
  • The Dark Knight Returns
  • The Golden Age (James Robinson and Paul Smith)
  • Green Lantern vol. 2 no. 75 (April 1970)-Green Lantern vol. 2 no. 89 (the classic Denny O’Neil/Neal Adams run)
  • Hellblazer no. 41 (May 1991)-46 (October 1991) (the “Dangeorus Habits” story arc)
  • The Saga of Swamp Thing no. 37 (June 1985)- Swamp Thing no. 46 (March 1986) (The "American Gothic story arc)
  • Sandman vol. 2 no 21 (November 1990) to vol. 2 no. 28 (July 1991) (The “Season of Mists” story arc)
  • Watchmen

Congrats to our new Community Member of the Month: @mercurie80! :clap:

35 Likes

Congratulations on being the June member of the month, @mercurie80! Couldn’t be given to a more deserving person! Love all your comic recommendations!

14 Likes

Congratulations @mercurie80 I am also looking forward to Last Halloween

12 Likes

Yay!!! Congrats @mercurie80!!!

11 Likes

Congratulations @mercurie80! Well-deserved!

10 Likes

Congratulations @mercurie80

11 Likes

Great to see I am your favorite.

11 Likes

congratulations @mercurie80

11 Likes

Congratulations @mercurie80 !

:00_aquaman:

12 Likes

Congrats @mercurie80! Well deserved!!

13 Likes

Congratulations @mercurie80! :partying_face:

tumblr_pnl9rfGRPW1wzvt9qo1_500

13 Likes

Amazing news! Thank you for being such a great part of this community! @mercurie80

13 Likes

Thank you! The recommendations were the hardest question to answer. Initially I thought, “Wow, that’s a lot of stuff to recommend,” but then I had to narrow my list down quite a bit!

@Jitsu @Chain_Twix @Row.Harper @TheWifeOfJasonTodd @idle453.87595 @Aquaman @EDT @MatthewHecht @Jurisdiction Thanks to all of y’all! You are all so wonderful and much of the reason the DC Community remains my favorite place on the web!

18 Likes

@Huntress_Helena @CKComics Thank you! As I said above, you all are part of the reason DC Community is my favorite place on the web!

15 Likes

Yay way to go @mercurie80
Congrats bud!

11 Likes

Thanks!

10 Likes

Great choice this month! Well deserved.

11 Likes

Thank you!

10 Likes

Congrats @mercurie80 !! Well deserved!!

9 Likes