JSA Book Club

Here is our second September session a bit early because I have a wedding rehearsal to attend this week.

Cheers!

:jsa_book_club: The Vampire Murders :jsa_book_club:

2022-10-10T05:00:00Z2022-10-31T05:00:00Z

Here is the first of our November sessions.

Here is our second November session.

Here’s January’s second post. Just a few questions and such.

Here is our session for Feb. 2023.

Here’s our second March session.

1 Like

Here is the session for April 16th through the end of the month.

1 Like

Here is our next session covering Secret Origins.

Hey everybody, I just joined. So I’ll answer the introduction questions.

-I’m not a longtime JSA reader because I’m a smart mouth youth who has only been reading comics for a handful of years. Growing up, I had the various DC cartoons of the 2000s and I’m sure a handful of JSA related characters snuck in there. But once I started comics, I found myself drawn more toward JSA titles than Justice League comics. For me, the JSA highlights legacy and the relationships between various heroes that I want to see more of. All of these JSA members (veterans and newbies) are charismatic and fun to read about. Most of the JSA comics I’ve read comes from the 2000s but I have read some stories before that period and reading the new titles using the Ultra Plan.

-Man…don’t make me choose my favorite characters! That is way too tough a choice. However…I will say that I just finished reading the Hourman solo that focused on the android Matthew Tyler. I had a surprising amount of fun reading it and he has become my favorite Hourman, so he is for sure ONE of my favorite JSA heroes

8930048-rco012_1683025756

2 Likes

Welcome to the club @EDT!

Feel free to jump into discussions.

1 Like

And here is our second June session. Enjoy!

Hello JSA peeps! I haven’t gotten around to answering the intro question because I’m forgetful as heck so I will do that now!

How familiar are you with the JSA?
Honestly I haven’t read much of the newer stuff. I’m a huge fan of JSA from the golden age, so I’ve binged through All-Star Comics, Adventure Comics, etc. I’ve been wanting to read more of the newer stuff but I keep getting backlogged by yet more old issues I want to read.

Who is your favorite character?
Oh geez definitely Hourman. I love that guy so much. I feel like his need to find a way to become something super beyond the usual timid exterior he shows is a nice metaphor for the struggles of anxiety/depression and the need for psychiatric medications. …but that’s just me. Second favorite is the Spectre! I really enjoyed the ten issue Spectre run from the 60s (which isn’t actually golden age GASP)

If you are a long time fan when did you first start reading JSA titles?
I grew up reading old Superman and Batman. I never really had the money to go branching out and exploring other heroes because there wasn’t really a way to read that older stuff back then unless you had vast amounts of money for vintage issues. DCUI really opened up the entirety of the golden age to me and I’m very grateful to be able to finally seek out characters I’ve wound up loving more than even Supes.

Other stuff about me… um well I’m 37 years old, live in the midwest, and hobbies other than comics are that I’m a(n amateur) naturalist and spend a lot of time outdoors with my binoculars and my field guides (I especially enjoy insect and bird watching). I love anything related to Star Trek and also play a few video games (MMOs like WoW or SWtOR)

Okay I’m done boring you guys. That’s my intro!

2 Likes

Welcome to the club @MoukaYuki! We are glad to have you.

I am also a Star Trek fan. Which is you favorite series?

Another Star Trek fan, nice! What’s your favorite?

I’m a huge fan of the original series (I guess it’s just like I mostly read golden age DC I mostly watch golden age Trek? Haha) but Deep Space 9 comes in a very VERY close second. It’s got deeper storylines and character development that would never work with the original which makes it sort of uniquely awesome.

1 Like

Deep Space 9, hands down :eyes:

2 Likes

I remember being a younger kid when it was first airing, my dad was a huge trekkie and had lot of trekkie friends and they all just HATED it. It seemed like so many fans just complained “ughhh this isn’t real trek, it’s nothing like TNG or TOS what the heck are they trying to do what are these writers on?!”

I never got the hate, I loved it back then and I still do! I thought it was beautifully ironic that it went down in history as some of the greatest trek of all time. Seriously, “In the Pale Moonlight” is hands down the best Star Trek episode ever made.

I’m kinda hoping some of the DC movies I like getting flack right now go down as being classics in the future :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

My dad was the one who got me hooked on sci-fi shows since he was a huge fan. My first contact with Trek was the Original Series and although it holds a special place in my heart my favorite is DS9. Its uniqueness among other Treks drew me to it and the compelling stories and character development kept me coming back for more. I’m actual re-watching it currently. I’m also greatly enjoying Strange New Worlds, which I personally feel has been the best Star Trek show to come out of late.

I love that episode. “It’s Only a Paper Moon” is another really strong episode and a personal favorite of mine.

2 Likes

And here is our second July session featuring some crossover adventures with the JLA.

3 Likes

My dad got me into Trek also. Not so much he shared it with me (he wasn’t really the best kind of guy) but it was always on TV so it just became a staple I liked over time. I try to do Trek-related and DC- related things around my kid now hoping she might get curious and want to be a part of it too! (If not, that’s also cool, maybe she’ll like something new for me to get into?)

Totally agree about It’s Only a Paper Moon. The whole Nog storyline was compelling and dark and really took Trek to a whole new level. Also semi-related, Vic Fontaine introduced me to my favourite music genre of all time. I have Rat Pack vinyls for days.

EDIT: Also hope I can join in the book club this month! Got lots of vacation business coming up (state fair, road trip, going birding (at apparently the largest freshwater marsh in the country? Super excite!)