JSA Book Club

Welcome fans of the Justice Society of America. We are a club dedicated to reading about the JSA and all the other teams and characters connected to DC’s very first Super Team and then discussing the stories that we’ve read. Your club leaders on this adventure will be Aurora and myself, JasonTodd428. We hope you have fun and maybe learn some things about the JSA as well.

How to Join:

Simply follow the JSA Book Club link and click the “Join” button and you’re in. You’ll now get regular event updates via DM and a snazzy JSA flair to wear with pride on your avatar.

Events Schedule

We will be posting our club events every First and Third Week of the month and they will run for two weeks at a time. Our first event is planned for February 17th so be on the lookout for it!

Contacts:

If you have any questions or concerns you can get in touch with us here at either @Aurora or @JasonTodd428. You can also contact us via the DCU Discord by messaging us under the same names as above.

And now for a bit of serious business:

• General content disclaimer:

• As we will be reading the JSA stories in chronological order starting from the teams inception we feel the need to stress that some material may contain attitudes, art or language that may not be in line with modern ideals of equality and acceptance. Feel free to not read anything that makes you personally uncomfortable.

We will be posting the above disclaimer on all our posts as well but we just wanted to make everyone aware of it as well.

• As for other rules our only rule is that we keep the discussions clean and that we treat one another with respect.

And now the fun stuff:

With the above out of the way here’s a few questions to get us started and to introduce each other.

1. How familiar are you with the JSA?
    1. Who is your favorite character?
    1. If you are a long time fan when did you first start reading JSA titles?

And here’s a link to our Master Reading List

Flair and post images created by @Aurora

11 Likes

Yes! Another club I’ll struggle to keep up with!

Fairly familiar. I read America vs. back in the day, the mini from the 90’s, and a large chunk of Geoff Johns’ run.

Oh, man, I don’t know. There’s too many!any to choose from. I like Dr Fate, Spectre, Dr Midnight, etc. More the old school characters than the legacy ones, I guess.

That America vs the Justice Society series was my intro.

3 Likes

I hear ya on not being able to keep up with the clubs I’m in @ralphsix

1. Pretty familiar although its been a good long while since I’ve read any JSA books.

2. To mamy favorites to name although I am partial to Doctor Fate myself.

3. My first exposure to the JSA was back in the day when they would have the JLA and the JSA crossovers every summer. I still miss those.

3 Likes

Joined!

Let’s tackle those questions, shall we?

1. I’m pretty well versed in the Justice Society franchise. I’d say I began to get into it sometime in my late teens or so, and as the years progressed, I became more and more of an avid fan, especially due to the JSA ongoing along with Justice Society characters appearing in the DCAU and assorted toylines.

2. Ooh, favorite character. Welp, off hand, I’d say Hawkman because he’s a childhood favorite, but Power Girl is pretty badass too. What the hey, I’ll say Hawkman and Pee-gee are tied for #1.

3. You know, I don’t recall exactly when I started to read Justice Society content on a continual basis. To hazard a guess, I’d say… early 2000’s (late teens, as mentioned in #1, above).

That flair is pretty sweet! FDR and the founders of the Justice Society would be proud.

3 Likes

Oh man. Another club to join.

1. I’ve read most of Geoff John’s run. That was a majority of my introduction to the JSA other than a few issues here and some crossovers there.

2. I’ve read some of the really old doctor fate stuff. It baffles me how far his character has grown.

3. I have JLA-JSA Virtue and Vice somewhere in my collection. After I picked that up was when I went back and got all of the JSA collections.

Everyone who knows me from the Discord chats knows that JSA is my favorite series ever. I was also huge into Infinity Inc. as a kid and it fed into that. I loved seeing so many of my favorite Infinity characters being included in JSA in the Geoff Johns run. My favorite character in the series would have to be Atom Smasher (Nuklon when he was part of Infinity Inc.) I also liked Sand and PG and Dr. Fate quite a lot as well. Well and I must admit, I am a bit of a Black Adam fangirl. (gotta love a good antihero)

5 Likes

I almost said Black Adam. He was so good in that series.

Wow, it finally has arrived! Congrats all!

I’ll plan to join in on the fun when you visit the mid 70s / early '80s Roy Thomas stuff regardless of my other obligations here (the later excellent JSA stuff with those super cool jet black profiles by Alex Ross still seems like yesterday to me).

I have been reading JSA-related titles since the Justice League cross overs of the mid '60s with Earth 2. Character wise, real real hard to pick a favorite: Earth 2 Superman was fun, Starman (original), and the very mysterious Spectre of Earth 2.

1 Like

@Aurora -Who doesn’t love a good anti-hero. Black Adam is great.

@Don-El- Spectre is a favorite of mine as well and we will definitely be reading those JLA-JSA crossovers within the Club’s first year. I don’t have the exact date in front of me at the moment but we’ll get there.

1 Like

Speaking of Teth-Adam, I look forward to whenever the Black Adam mini from 2007 is the subject of discussion here, as it was godly in its goodness.

2 Likes

How familiar are you with the JSA?
i have been reading comics since the 1960s. Read their first Appearances in.Flash and Justice League of America.

Who is your favorite character?
Helena Wayne Power Girl

When First Start Reading JSA

First series All Star 58 continuing numbering from.last issue of old JSA

Great Art by Wally Wood of Superman and Powergirl

Favorite versions

All Star Squadrom by Roy Thomas

Justice Society 2nd version by Geoft Johns
Star Girl.Cyclone Kingdom Come Superman

Non Favorites

Justice Society first version by Geoff John’s
Son of Starman and Queen Hippolyta Wonder Woman did not belong in group

I am not sure which series had Captain Marvel Stargirl and Black Atdam Atom Smasher but those issues were very good

Original 1940s Run
Very Powerful Heroes against ordinary foes
i bought last issue 57 years ago at Comixology and liked it.

2 Likes

The Dark Age is hands down one of my favorite miniseries ever. I totally agree.

3 Likes

I really need to reread the Dark Age again soon. Great mini.

I just realized today that the JSA fans must have the same frustration about the lack of any comic series featuring them for so many years that the Legion fans have been feeling.

If you count New 52’s Earth 2 and Earth 2 Society as JSA-related comics (and we should right?), it’s been about 3 years with no appearances until the last issue of Doomsday Clock- now JSA is reemerging in the comics, so who knows what’s next!

1 Like

I very much count Earth 2 and Society as JSA books and have included them on the club’s master reading list but you’re correct about the frustration. I’m really hoping to see a new JSA series come out of Doomsday Clock but we’ll see. Legion fans got a new Legion book so why not the JSA.

3 Likes

I liked Tom Taylor"s work on
Earth 2, beginning with Issue

If you liked his work in
Injustice, he is better here.

Spoilers

The situation is desperate.
Superman, Wonder Woman
and Batman of this earth are
dead, along with all Amazons,
Lois Lane and Catwoman.

Helena Wayne and Power
Girl have been transported to
main Earth, in Worlds’ Finest
Title, which is also great.

They were the only heroes of
this world.

The newer heroes, young
versions of Justice Society,
Green Lantern, Flash and
Hawkgirl, are inexperienced.

The World Army is helpless.

Darksaid has a new
Superman, who might be
resurrected from the old
Superman, under his control.

The rich, who attempted to
flee the planet in a spaceship,
suffocated in space, when
this Superman attacked the
ship.

New characters take the
lead:

Thomas Wayne, with
Hourman’s powers and a gun,
is the new Batman.

Lois Lane’s mind resides in
Red Tornado.

Thomas frees three
prisoners.

Jimmy Olson is Oracle,
hacker of all the information
in the world.

The Queen of Atlantis is
Aquawoman.

There is a Krytonian who has
never seen the sun, a Zod.

In a sense, this series uses
versions of the oldest charac-
ters in the DCUniverse, and
uses them superbly.

2 Likes

I also liked Tom Taylor’s work on Earth 2. I know a lot of people always complained about various aspects of his run but I enjoyed it a lot and the characters he introduced were great. I really liked Val Zod.

2 Likes

Earth 2: World’s End occurs in between those other two Earth 2 series. That one in particular really has an Injustice vibe. where the comic story is allowed to go places that DC normally wouldn’t take their mainstay central DC continuity superheroes that they publish monthly.

2 Likes

I do like it when there are stories that are allowed to go places outside of the norm for their mainstay characters. I just had a problem with the way World’s End was handled by the three writers involved. I never felt like the three worked well together nor did I feel like the story gelled properly. Nontheless I hung in there and finished it and it is also on the master list.

2 Likes

We’d all love to see that Master list.

1 Like