:jsa_book_club: JSA Book Club: What We Do In The Dark [4/1/22 - 4/15/22]

This round we are following Doctor Midnite and Green Lantern on a trip to the dark side. Things aren’t always what they seem to be, and comics are a perfect place to delve into those sort of stories. Sometimes the best stories are told in the dark and in shades of grey…but first…

JSA BOOK CLUB ROLL CALL

CLUB LEADERS

@JasonTodd428 & @Aurora

• STANDING MEMBERS

Abrax, AggressiveIntellectual219, Alec.Holland, anthony.javier3, Applejack, Azrael_Jean-PaulValley14, BatgirlsAmdSignalBookWhenDC, bbzo24, bigblock66, BlueBeetlesAssistant, BobbinIrving, Boswell99, Brenticus_Rex, bromepeter424, CaptainYesterday, CassTheStreet, CrazyQuilt, Daffern, Darkstarz, dave7atgosky, dave_worrell, DC_Community, Deathstroke’sPunisher, deborahma295, december360, djganon, Doctor075, DocterFate1, Don-El, fawsid, finn.p.campbell,frankie.lacy79, l, Frostbite30, ganaoque, harrist, HombreDeMaiz, hotstufflouie, HubCityAnswer, Jay_Kay, jayspice777, Jflow, jlevin, Jurisdiction, kaliym73, lunalane, mbpbinder, _meegs, Meisaj, Midnitehour, MiscellaneousSoup, MisfitCMJ, mitchellbpearson, MPMCN86, msgtv, Odbo255, PaintEater, parzival27, ProActress, QuadPen, ralphsix, Ravenrifft, ReaganFan78, Remember5NovEveyHammond, RexRebel, rlynchfamily, ROMANLEGION rspezzano, rwm, Ryan22, Scoop001, Sinestro1,slowp0Ketail, Smallengineerings, SuperBlue Grodd, TheCosmicMoth, TK52, Tommyskindlefire, TurokSonOfStone, YolandaMontezz, ZacharyLee1995

Remember to join the JSABC all you need do is hit the link!

Our Reading for this week is JSA Classfied #23-25

Discussion Questions:

1: Do you believe in the paranormal?

2: What is your favorite paranormal themed comic and why?

3: We see Alan Scott dealing with a shadowy government agency that commits horrible acts in the name of national security. Do you believe that is ever acceptable, or should those in power be held to a higher standard? (please keep politics out of your answers, we’re all friends here :grin:)

1 Like
  1. No, I don’t believe in the paranormal, although I love stories with magic in them.
  2. I guess my favorite is Dr Strange. I like the way he came into his powers after being humbled in his arrogance as a surgeon. He is much more developed than Dr Fate.
  3. In reality, I would never condone horrible acts in the name of national security. We should be better than that.
1 Like

I do believe in the paranormal. My native ancestors were shaman and dealing with spirits and the paranormal was a part of that. I am what is termed a “sensitive”, which means I can sense ghosts among other things. It can be very annoying and I’ve had to learn to shield myself.

Also the house I grew up in was haunted. We would hear unexplained footsteps on floors where no one was and we had balls of light that floated around from time to time.

Phantom Stranger and Deadman. I really got to like both characters and think they both have interesting backgrounds.

It is never, in my opinion, acceptable to do so. The powers that be, and people in general, need to be held to a higher standard and need to be held accountable for their actions. Thsse days there are far to many people throwing shade at others and blaming them for their own shortcomings.

3 Likes

1: I also believe in the paranormal, and it appears our families have a similar background. (I am Cherokee and Shawnee) My great-grandmother could talk to spirits and was a skilled natural healer that always made her own homemade medicines. I just have prophetic dreams and can “sense” things at times. It’s not like dial-a-psychic (in fact I don’t like the P-word) I can only see what I’m given to see.

2: I don’t have a particular favorite paranormal comic. I have however always loved to read old ghost stories from different cultures. I’ve always found the paranormal extremely fascinating. I’ve seen so much myself over the years that I can’t help but be curious about it and want to learn more…

3: I do personally believe our elected (and especially unelected) officials should be held to a higher standard. Sadly that hasn’t always and sometimes still isn’t the case. Power corrupts.

3 Likes

I’m Cherokee and Shoshone on my mother’s side. My mother had an uncanny ability to know when things were going to go wrong, that something was wrong with a relative long before anyone knew it or if someone was about call on the phone. She even knew who was calling. My grandfather communicated with spirits and had dreams that would oftentimes come true.

For myself I have prophetic dreams, have been granted visions at times, and I also have my mother’s and granfather’s gifts. Those gifts have saved my life a time or two in the past so I find most of them useful.

1 Like

I stumbled upon this after not getting the notification or seeing it in the replies.

1. Seen and heard too much not to believe in it.

2. I would call almost all comics paranormal. Batman after all is filled with a guy who casually dodges machine gun fire. If you are more picky then my pick is Princes of Darkness.

3. As Benjamin Franklin stole from Hawkman (again)

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” My props to Calero in the last issue. The drawings, especially the shadows were great.

In my annual Johns’s JSA reread I just finished JSA. On to Justice Society of America.

2 Likes

Just finished my annual reread of the Johns run.

I just noticed the two easter eggs with the dentist’s name.

2 Likes