Jon Kent IS the Right Person to be Superman

Spoiler Alert! If you haven’t been following Superman: Son of Kal-El on a monthly basis then you may not want to read this post until you catch up. I’m going to spoil things and not blur any of it out. You’ve been warned…

I’ve had this post in my back pocket for a while. Since it’s Pride Month, why not now? Basically, I’ve really liked what I’ve seen out of Jon Kent as Superman so far and it’s convinced me that he is the right person to have the mantle now. I think he’s the agent of change that I’ve wanted to see Superman become for over a decade.

First, I love his ability to stand up against authority when it’s in the wrong. In Son of Kal-El #2, he was willing to use his heat vision to stop the police from hand-cuffing Gamorran refugees as they entered Metropolis.
Jon Handcuffs
Then, in issue #3, he was willing to stand up to the police again when he joined a group of protestors trying to pressure the United States into accepting the refugees.
Jon Protest
Jon was willing to get arrested for that one. This shows that he’s a Superman who is willing to speak truth to power despite the social consequences. That’s something that is likely to continue as he works with underground news source, The Truth, to uncover the human rights abuses in Gamorra and their links to Lex Luthor.

Jon is also able to show empathy for animal life. This was evident in Son of Kal-El issues #7 and 8 as he refused to kill a giant sea monster despite the threat it posed to Metropolis and human life. Jon recognized the creature was scared and saw it for the rare, beautiful animal it was. He decided to turn it away from the city rather than destroy it. To this Superman, animals have the right to live just like any human.

I was particularly impressed with Jon’s conversation with Lex Luthor in Son of Kal-El Annual #1. Without flat-out stating it, Jon confronted Lex with the fact that climate change is the real danger to the planet Earth, and challenged Lex to help him confront it. Jon is a Superman who understands the coming challenges of tomorrow and is willing to address it.

Finally, the elephant in the room: Jon came out as bisexual. By being true to himself in that regard, he has allowed an often overlooked segment of the populace to be represented and, further, to be represented by one of the most powerful superheroes on the planet. This also challenges long-held norms about who you can be attracted to or fall in love with.

Basically, Jon is the right person to be Superman because he is ready to be the man of tomorrow. He is not afraid to challenged authority when it’s wrong, he has empathy for all life, and he sees love as something greater than the bounds of traditionally defined gender and sexuality. He’s a Superman that I’m excited to go forward with, and, honestly, I’m proud of the kid. Let me know if you feel the same (or if you feel they should de-age him and bring back Supersons because… I know those comments are out there)!

4 Likes

As you command.

They should de-age him.

4 Likes

Thanks for getting it out of the way!

2 Likes

Lets just de-age him in order to get a more natural progression into Jon as Superman

2 Likes

Which is stupid considering how easy it would be for Mr Terrific or some other genus to fix in the context of the DC Universe

2 Likes

Absolutely not. While Super Sons was, and is, great, Jon as an adult has had a pretty profound effect on many people, both in the DCU and our reality.

To de-age him would be DC thumbing their nose at the positive goodwill Jon has built up and made himself an icon of in the last year.

#AdultJonstays

As for Superman: Son of Kal-El as a whole, I really enjoy it.

Its not my favorite Superman ongoing right now (that’s World’s Finest), or even my second-fav (Action Comics), but it is still a solid read all-around, and I look forward to it every month.

3 Likes

I think it’s too late for that. It’s kinda like knocking Nightwing back down to the Boy Wonder: I may prefer Dick as Robin, but there’s no going back now.

4 Likes

I mean, I hear you and I’m definitely not here trying to relitigate whether or not Bendis did this the right way. That being said, what’s done is done and, thus far, I have been happy with what they’ve done with adult Jon.

Maybe Mr. Terrific IS trying to fix it at one of his Terrifictech hubs around the globe (*see current issues of The Flash)! But… yeah… that’s probably why they didn’t have Jon out-and-out mention climate change. I think the moment was more about acknowledging that the greatest threats mankind face are the ones they create for themselves and that Jon is all about addressing them. It, again, signals that he’s an agent of change.

That’s exactly where I’m at with it, @Vroom!

I’ve loved WF so far, and I was psyched to see they actually allowed Mark Waid to write Superman again! I had just about given up hope on that. Action Comics has been more hit or miss for me, but I’m glad its kept Morrison’s Authority group together.

3 Likes

Bendis did nothing the right way!

#unclebendoesnothaveaponytail
#greengoblindoesnotlooklikethehulk
#yesiamstillnotoverdecisionsfrom22yearsago

3 Likes

:laughing: You got to admit, though, the man gives us talking points!

2 Likes

Completely agree with the premise. While I love supersons Jon has really grown into a great Superman. I feel like the way forward it to age Damian into a contemporary of Jon rather than de-aging Jon.

3 Likes

I think the current Robin title has been a good (and very entertaining) step in that direction!

1 Like

I think Jon is fine and doesn’t need to be de-aged.

I like Superman Son of Kal-El. Like @Vroom, it’s not my favorite Superman book (that would be Action Comics), but I find it to be a good read nonetheless. I’m going to be lazy and copy from a post I wrote a while back in The Superman Thread:

Honestly, I still feel that Jon needs to earn the Superman title. When Lex went off about trusting a 17 year old kid, part of me actually agreed with him. I guess he was put in an a very difficult situation by Clark when he took off for Warworld; Jon was thrust into the role head first. What I need from the book going forward is finding a balance between focusing on Jon’s personal life and focusing on his superheroics. How does he earn the world’s trust? What inspiration will he provide?

The fact that I’m asking these questions, or even contemplating Lex’s words despite his evil motives, tells me that Tom Taylor is writing a good book. So far though, it’s been more “Son of Kal-El” than “Superman”, and maybe that’s not a bad thing. It’s been entertaining enough where my patience isn’t tried. I feel like I’m on a slow burning journey seeing Jon grow into his father’s shoes :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

No there is

1 Like

Nice analysis! I’m thinking that maybe your questions about Jon as Superman will be answered either by the end of this Gammora arc or by Dark Crisis…

3 Likes

I think it would be a smart desincion if they did de-age him because they left a lot of money on the table when they aged him up. People like seeing charactors grow up over time. Besides in the next 2 or 3 years he wouldn’t be Superman anymore.

2 Likes

That does start this week and I don’t really see any hype for it.

2 Likes

I’m sorta hyped for it… But I read Infinite Frontier and Justice League Incarnate.

2 Likes

How much hype have you seen for it?

To be honest, I’m not even sure where people go to see the hype anymore. …Bleeding Cool? I do remember seeing some stuff for Death of the Justice League around the Internet. But… maybe DC could’ve done a better job advertising?

1 Like