Jon Kent Finds His Identity in Superman: Son of Kal-El #5

I really hope we know Damian’s new codename soon. I’m sick of having three Robins. I understand the legacy-sharing with the Trinity and the Flash, but Robin has always been a stepping-stone identity and it’s not fair for three of the kids to be stuck on that square in the great game of superheroics. (Superheroics™! The game where you either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain!)

2 Likes

I kind of like Damian as Robin! Who not give Tim his old Red Robin name? He earned it enough to have his own title!

4 Likes

I am really excited for this too. And it is written by Tomasi, so it will be good. I’m excited to see their new dynamic. I know it will be different with their age difference now but I am just happy to see they are working together.

Damian better be the most supportive best friend ever. We all want Clark in an Ally shirt, I want Damian in one too.

6 Likes

Probably because…

I Mean Think about it! Anytime the guys in the comic shops were doing the pull lists for that book there would always be a smart -@$$ who sings YUMMMM every time the.guy calling out the titles gets to Red Robin!..-YUMMMMM!

4 Likes

Uh… yeah… well, duh… You would’ve thought DC would that of that BEFORE doing the character!

1 Like

Tim desperately needs a new codename, too.

3 Likes

Monkey’s paws are sons of ****. I wished for Captain America to be less perfect and we got Secret Empire. I wished for the Doctor to be a woman and we got Jodie Whittaker.

2 Likes

I think Jon coming of age and finding his identity in various aspects (as a superhero, son of icons, one of few Kryptonians, young man, sexuality, person in general) fits with a character his age. I just wish he got to grow more naturally both in terms of his sudden age up (reader perspective) and in terms of years off planet. I mean, a big deal seems to be made that he’s Clark and Lois’ son, but he spent almost as much time growing up without them. As for “finding his identity” in this issue, well, a person’s sexuality is just one part of their identity. I hope Jon gets stories that take the time to explore various parts of his identity instead of leaping forward like his age. Taylor has done this with other stories/characters, so cross fingers.

Disclaimer: I prefer both Jon and Damian being more on the kid side of growing up; it was something that made them different and fun for me. shrug

5 Likes

Based on the constant typing and un-typing I’m seeing, I’m guessing I made a Jodie Whittaker fan angry. A few points:

1. I don’t blame Jodie Whittaker for what Chibnall has done, but I call the current incarnation “Jodie Whittaker” because “Thirteenth Doctor” is wrong, both in that she’s the same person as all the other Doctors, and in that it’s not even her thirteenth life. Not even close.

2. I’m autistic. The Doctor used to be autistic. She is not anymore. So it’s personal for me, that one of the first autistic characters in mass media ever is now a bland, friendly neurotypical who I can’t picture demons running from.

2 Likes

This is truly disappointing. Telling stories that include homosexual individuals is not, in my opinion, a bad idea, as that is a reflection of the real world. This, however, looks clear that it is not meant simply to be a quality story that happens to focus on a homosexual character. No, this is simply another substantial statement from DC in favor of the gay etc. community, and it does not really make sense for Jonathan Kent either.

3 Likes

You’re right…it’s a story focused on a bisexual character

5 Likes

That being the case, this looks clear that it is not meant simply to be a quality story that happens to focus on a bisexual character.

2 Likes

Nicely put! I 100% agree with you. I wish “finding all aspects” was mapped out longer-- and more natural. Who is Jon Kent? Outside of Superman, the son of Clark & Lois… etc. I’m hoping Taylor’s long-term vision does 100%.

It wasn’t long ago that he was crushing on Saturn Girl-- with (I think) no mention of conflicts. Kinda been cool to see a seed planted back then. I bet Jon doesn’t
address his previous crush with his new crush.

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

A number of points for their next meeting:

1. Imra can read minds.

2. She’s from the 31st century. She knows who Jon is going to end up with as surely as we know who Robin Hood ended up with.

3 Likes

So, one week later… and the world has not come to an end. :relaxed:

Anyway, a few random thoughts:

It’s kind of weird, I cannot stand Superman and Lois Lane being married (because it’s just boring to me), but I find Jonathan Kent and this Jay Nakamura actually really cool and interesting.

I was excited about SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL when it was first announced but quickly cooled on it because I didn’t think they were going to do anything that I would want to read about – because they rarely ever do. So I passed on it up until now.

This news obviously got the world’s attention (literally), and now I’ve gone back and looked at everything and read everything, and… it’s not that bad.

I didn’t realize they would play up the Social Justice Warrior aspect of Superman/Jon to the extent that they have. I just assumed they would have him punching giant robots and hanging out with Damian Wayne or whatever – things that I have zero interest in reading. But what they’re doing is really kind of a throwback to Golden Age Superman. I like it.

Granted, they’re of course not going to solve the climate crisis or immigration issues and the like in a Superman comic, but I really like what they’re doing here. I like how they’re framing it within the world of Superman.

Issue #7 in January…

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #7

• Written by TOM TAYLOR
  • Art and cover by JOHN TIMMS
  • Variant cover by TRAVIS MOORE
  • $3.99 US | 32 pages | $4.99 US Variant (Card Stock)
  • ON SALE 1/11/22
  • Superman has recovered from the devastating attack against him. After the life-changing events of issue #5, Jon Kent and his new ally Jay Nakamura are ready to strike back. They are on a collision course with the type of power that is used to swatting problems out of the way. But Superman is not so easily swatted.

Seeing that is just surprisingly and pleasantly refreshing to me (and I believe this is the same solicitation for issue #6, but whatever).

Either way, that cover is like, "Yes, please ‘preach’ to me. Use Superman to say something relevant, I really don’t mind. And I actually prefer my Superman that way… "

Also, the bi-sexual angle is just icing on the cake. It’s something different, and brilliant, I think. And it really and truly fits the character, I feel. It just feels right. It feels very “modern” and very “21st century.” It feels like if you were going to create Superman in 2021, then this is what you would obviously do.

Since I’m a vegan, if they made Jon a vegan too that would kind of neat. And how could he not be a vegan? :relaxed:

Jon being bisexual is all well and good. Make him a vegan though, and yeah… now you’re doing something. :relaxed:

EDIT:

Briefly on the sales, SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL performed a bit odd to me. I was expecting something in 100,000 range for the first issue. That’s what the last three Superman reboots did, in 2011, 2016 and 2018.

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #1 I believe did like 68,000 (according to Comichron).

This issue #5 will almost assuredly sell higher than the first issue, which I guess is something. Issue #5 I’m guessing is the one that’ll do the 100,000 or whatever number. Or maybe more, who knows.

EDIT (again):

And a preview for issue #4

3 Likes

I can’t wait to read it

2 Likes

It’s really refreshing to see DC putting the social justice and love back into the Superman titles. Up until recently, it felt like they were scared of “picking a side” and just left Supes to fight off aliens and robots. While that’s entertaining, I don’t think it’s enough for the character (either of them). Superman represents the best of every single person. He is moral and has clear beliefs. I like that DC is finally letting Clark and Jon stand behind this idea and fight for what’s good. Not only does it benefit the world these characters inhabit, it also has far reaching impacts on our actual world. Seeing one of the most recognizable symbols and characters fight for these ideals is important and good. Excited for Jon’s future runs.

3 Likes

So Jon has been to the future with the Legion of Superheros and so he knows that everything is going to be alright.

2 Likes

@Clonegeek18

So Jon has been to the future with the Legion of Superheros and so he knows that everything is going to be alright.

Yeah, of course in SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #3 Jon addresses that…

Steeping back for a second, I do genuinely wonder what are they going to do with the Clark Kent Superman? I mean, once this “The Warworld Saga” storyline in ACTION COMICS runs it’s course, what, are they going to bring Clark Kent Superman back to Earth?

And if so, then what? Both Jon and his father as the Superman of Earth?

If I’m not mistaken, this is the first time in the history of the company, since 1939, that there is no SUPERMAN comic book. There’s of course SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL, but that’s not SUPERMAN.

Of course, I don’t believe many people really notice that… or care. :relaxed:

The rumored original plan for 5G was this…

But it looks as if DC Comics isn’t putting all its eggs in one basket. And realises that replacing all their lead comic books with new characters taking the roles may not be universally popular.

So I have been told they have a back-up plan for 5G and it’s called Black Label.

As 5G rolls out, DC Comics will also launch a number of new oversized-titles, starring Bruce Wayne as Batman, Clark Kent as Superman, Diana as Wonder Woman, Arthur Curry as Aquaman, Hal Jordan as Green Lantern and Barry Allen and/or Wally West as The Flash, at $7.99 each.

Somewhere between what they have been trialling with the Giant books and the current Black Label line. Aimed at the older reader and ongoing. Having their cake and eating it…

For someone like Superman I could see that working.

I say that, because, looking at the August numbers, and SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #2 came in at 40,000 and ACTION COMICS #1034 came in at 29,000.

Ouch. SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL isn’t really setting the world on fire, and ACTION COMICS is really hurting.

So just doing Clark Kent Superman as Black Label prestige mini series going forward wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. And whatever stories they come up with for Black Label mini’s will most likely sell better than ACTION COMICS.

I mean, it would be next to impossible to sell worse. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And I guess they could continue ACTION COMICS with Jon starring in that too? Or maybe even just stop publishing ACTION COMICS altogether? Although, that would would be kind of rough. I don’t know if DC would go that far.

Then again, DC hasn’t published a SUPERMAN comic since the summer, so… it’s not like this something out of the realm of possibility.

Then there’s Jim Lee at about the 3:22 mark at DC FanDome and the possibility of another Crisis…

I suppose another reboot is about the only thing that you can do in order to boost the sales. Because I’m not sure if any regular storyline will do it. You need something big.

Fun times ahead.

2 Likes