Jon Kent Finds His Identity in Superman: Son of Kal-El #5

Dude, today was filled with people who haven’t even been reading “Superman: Son of Kal-el” or even know who Jon Kent even is

…and im talking random people online and people i know irl…

people are exhausting :unamused:

4 Likes

Taylor “ The idea of replacing Clark Kent with another straight white savior…”

Since you find me and my kind so tedious, blasé, and cumbersome,Mr. Taylor, I’ll simply say forget you and forget your forgetful book.

(The reader may substitute another “F” word in for “forget”. Etiquette demands I speak with some decorum.)

5 Likes

That might partly tie in to it but I would wager it’s more the fact that final order cut-off is in a few days, so they want retailers to order as many copies as possible. The Tim reveal made it relatively unspoiled but they also probably didn’t have as many copies on shelves on day one because it was an ancillary Bat title.

3 Likes

Just imagine Clark showing up in this shirt to justice league meetings only to find Bruce wearing the same shirt but it says “I’m proud of my bi son”

8 Likes

I remember seeing Taylor talk about it on Twitter saying that he saw that there were rumors going around and he and DC wanted to get ahead of it and say something official rather than have some leaker send the pages without context over to Bleeding Cool or something.

Unfortunately now I can’t find the Tweet, but I did find this lovely series of tweets from Action Comics writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson:

7 Likes

It doesn’t really affect the potential for telling awesome stories and I really love Tom Taylor. I personally don’t think a characters sexuality - no matter what it is - should be a large driving force behind the stories being told anyway. It’s incidental. This particular subject matter was handled the best in my opinion in Orlando’s first Midnighter miniseries. You knew that he was what he was but it wasn’t talked about anymore than it would be talked about in real life. It was illustrated in ways such as his favorite hangout happened to be a gay bar. Very well done series (though the followup book with Apollo wasn’t as good of a story but that had nothing to do with anything but the story itself). It was much better handled than when James Robinson wrote about Alan Scott. Every other word was “my darling this” and “my lover that”. Nobody actually speaks this way. The only problem I have is with something like Tim Drake because of a lack of consistency. Jon has just become an adult so we don’t have that issue here. As someone else wrote in this chain, i too hoped Jon would be reverted to his younger age, possibly that he never returned from Earth 3 and the aged up guy was his earth 3 countrrpart. That clearly won’t be the case anymore. But I digress. To Jon - just like anyone in our corner of the multiverse - I say live and let live.

4 Likes

I love those tweets. Beautifully worded. Good for Jon. :00_dc_pride: :superman:

6 Likes

Awkward. (Though I wonder if they make it as a plural, since I still think all four of his sons are bi)

4 Likes

Welp, I think we can definitively say that this turned out to be correct.

3 Likes

Well, I’m generally against generalization, but probably, since according to Mnemosyne, most, if not all, of the Amazons of Themyscira are queer, and all Amazons were created in the same way.

4 Likes

I’ve been following Jon since he was first introduced, and this really just feels like a forced cash grab and not a genuine character development in any way. An it makes me question again what took BMB off the book. I have all the issues, but I won’t be getting any more of them. I’ll check back in a few months to see if they stick with this or not, and if he sells it. Cause right now, it’s a definite no.

3 Likes

I was already loving Phillip Kennedy Johnson’s run so far- sentiment like this will make me a fan for life. It’s nice when writers and artists you enjoy turn out to be great people as well- it’s no wonder he got Grant Morrison’s seal of approval.

5 Likes

all of the batkids are a bit fruity lol. all. of. them.

3 Likes

I understand the argument that “there are a lot of straight people” but after the last 82 years, it’s just disingenuous for them to not be.
Nightwing pride

3 Likes

Don’t Bats eat fruits as part of their diet?

2 Likes

Before this announcement, I had gone back and decided to read any issue of Superman or Action Comics that focused on Jon, Mainly the first issues letting us understand him as the child of Superman and then the arc that aged him up.

I would be lying if I said that him coming out as Bi was surprising. I don’t like to argue anything as to what would be in character for him seeing as he is still a fairly new character, but something about him felt… Different.

I seem to recall him having romantic feelings for girls, but his strong friendship with Damon along with his hodgepodge history left him open for more exploration.

I understand that people are skeptical when queer characters get written in because we expect poorly written (And honestly queer baited) stories that focus on the characters sexuality as if they were gay equivalent one-dimensional heterosexual character that only cared about dating.

So far, I am really liking this comic and to see a Superman who is coming of age and trying to surpass his father, not only in connection with earthlings as a whole, but in sexual freedom, I think is amazing!

1 Like

I do think it is awesome for DC to show more diversity-- especially with key characters. BUT… I’d be happier if it were more organic over Jon’s choices. In a way, it feels rushed and I’d have liked to see things unfold over a year or more.

It feels like DC has missed some great opportunities for Jon to explore himself. A scene of Damian and Jon sitting on a rooftop-- just talking, for example.

Jon: I like girls. But I like guys too. What if a little more though?
Damian: So? It doesn’t matter, really. As long as you’re happy.
Jon: I don’t think I’ve been really happy for a long time.
Damian: I know. So do whatever makes you feel happy.

Or something like that. Some talks with his mom-- or even better Ma & Pa Kent.

2 Likes

It sounds like we may be getting something like that in January with a Superman & Robin one-shot by Peter Tomasi coming in January:

7 Likes

Like the art hate the (age) change. This is salt in the Super Sons wound! (I mean it but intentionally overly dramatic)

3 Likes

I could see that. I imagine there’s some bby!Jon fans who are like “Which one of you mofos wished for more Super Sons on a Monkey’s Paw?” :rofl:

5 Likes