Joker

The joker trailer is #1 trending on YouTube! Time for DC to shine. We have had a lot of bad movies, but the Dark Knight Trilogy, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, and now this Joker movie have given us hope
Anyways, what’s everyone else’s thoughts on it?

4 Likes

Given the trailer, I think DC has another Green Lantern on their hands.

1 Like

I went from not at all interested to I’ll give it a shot based on the trailer. It will be interesting to see how they take one of the most villainous of DC villains and build a movie around him. I’m still not sure it can be done, but I’ll watch it.

We’ll see.

1 Like

I thought the trailer was really good. I am so excited for this movie. It looks like a Joker movie should look, it’s dark and it showcases the tragedies of his life that transforms him into the Joker. I feel Joaquin Phoenix has given us a awesome take on the joker.

1 Like

Please quit using every new movie as just another chance to bash the preceding movies.

1 Like

It’s not a dis on GL movie, but given the trailer it’s headed for the same economic cliff. Good opening weekend, but, no legs to it.

The origin we get in Killing Joke from the Joker himself, maybe it was just one bad day, maybe it wasn’t.Same with is origin told in BTAS. The true origin of a sociopath shouldn’t ever be known. That’s why good sociopath hc don’t have origin stories. Look at one of the most famous, Sherlock Holmes, from Conan-Doyle’s standpoint we know selective cherry picked bits, but, not a true ground up origin. Holmes is a highly functioning sociopath, but a sociopath none the lest.

Lex Luthor is a psychopath. He doesn’t understand that what he is doing us wrong. On the contrary, he believes his cause is just. He can have definitive origin(s), as he has had, in the past.

The terror of a sociopath is that he knows what he is doing is socially unacceptable and just doesn’t care.

I will take issue with this trailer in the same way I felt Burton handled the Joker (Which I saw the midnight showing in the Bay Area on launch day). I made the point them and I’ll make it now, as I have through the decades.

The Joker’s physical form is fundamental to his character. The Joker would no more wear normal skin tone makeup to hide his pasty complexion just in the same way that he would never color his hair. It his confrontation that when placed in the reality of “This is who I am, I cannot explain it or wish it way, or pretend that it isn’t reality. In the acceptance of his inescapable reality, that the Joker is born. It is the system straw that breaks the camel’s back. I cannot change this, so I accept it and what it is. You This gives the character his purpose. He chooses the path of his madness. It can’t be undone.

2 Likes

I am not sure what to make of the trailer, I was not overly impressed but it’s possible that comes from knowing it has next to no connection to the comic book version. But the average theater goer won’t know that. It looks like it could be another hit, but it looks real possible it could be another flop too. I don’t think this is what anyone was expecting and that could lead to some bad results. Hope not though, they hit a snag with JLA but Wonder Woman was a bonafied hit and Aquaman was even more successful, Shazam! looks like a hit in the making, so hope DC has some momentum going. They are taking a big chance by doing movies with such varying tone but at least they are not trying to beat Marvel at their own game years too late, so that is a plus.

@Desade-acolyte

Bravo. Very well done.

1 Like

Loved the trailer and now I’m waiting patiently while at the same time wanting it to be out right meow

1 Like

Love the grounded feel…reminds me of “The Dark Knight”. Looks gritty, savage and sad.

2 Likes

I refuse to be excited until a Crazy Quilt trilogy is announced.

2 Likes

Not excited at all after viewing the trailer, but a relatively small budget and a couple of great actors; this should at least be profitable, though I don’t see it being a smash hit. Hope I’m wrong.

The best part of that trailer, because it really set the tone, was Jimmy Durante.

It has been years since I last heard his voice (last time I watched “Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World”) but immediately recognizable. Perfect for that clip.

2 Likes

Joker 1989: Born of exposure to toxic chemicals
Joker 2019: Born of exposure to a toxic society.

I’m actually intrigued to see where it goes. Just glad to see no crowbars in the trailer.

4 Likes

I actually felt really bad for the joker for once when I saw that trailer. The movie isn’t even out and I felt bad for “Arthur”

@TheBackbreaker Your feelings are exactly why this movie is such a bad idea. The creation of sympathy and/or empathy for a sociopath like The Joker reduces his effectiveness as a truly terrifying villain. It makes him, as a villainous character, weaker.

1 Like

I think this is supposed to be more of an origin movie though, like Batman Begins, not a like just showing him be evil. Idk, it looks like it has a chance to be a bit creepy but you might be right