Joker 2019 SPOILERS

@CynicalPink

Idk til the night of. My friend I went with called & said he’d pick me up an hour early, cuz he’d just checked to make sure tickets went thru & they announced it like 4hrs b4 the premiere showing. Stack was already thin when we got ours so they must’ve gone quick.

2 Likes

@dago-mage I didn’t get to see it until later in the weekend, so I wouldn’t be surprised. My theater is also notorious for not having the widely advertised giveaways, though. The pains of living in a smaller suburb, I guess. :confounded:

2 Likes

Yeah it was only that night. I didn’t have a theater like that either til the Cinemark we have now. Old nicest theater is a dollar movies now. This one has the leather reclining seats with the foot stand & the XD, which is one Joker was in, seats close to 500. So much nicer then the ones we had.

2 Likes

That is a pretty sick poster! :joker_hv_2:

2 Likes

Thank u. I was super careful carrying it to the car cuz it was windy. It’s a weird size. Finding a frame wasn’t easy. It’s on top of my newest shelf of figs, statues etc. I set it on top & went to get tools to hang it. When I came back I thought it looked fine just sitting on top of the shelf so there it remains.

1 Like

What did you think of the movie by the way? A lot of people praised it such as myself. It truly is a work of art. Others say it’s too real and takes away a lot of charm.

1 Like

It was one of those movies for me that I was so excited for. That it took probably a day to set in & I loved it. I walked out thinking it was some of the best acting I’d seen in a while. Took around a day to fully set in for the rest of it. Definitely know now it’s a thumbs up from me.

2 Likes

I felt that this movie isn’t what we wanted but what we needed in today’s world. The movie had many heavy moments and I felt like while the classic origin story from the Killing Joke was good, I found the gritty and more realistic of 2019’s Joker to be more interesting. Mark Hamill’s Joker is amazing but Jaoquin nailed the role and made it his own. From the esthetic to the character development and interactions Arthur Fleck had with each of them was really powerful and was such a heavy and detailed script. However this movie can be seen from 3 points of views which I find very much leaves the character of the Joker up to interpretation and “multiple choice” as he calls it. These 3 points are Fantasy, Reality, and Illusion. It gets you thinking and asking questions as such as, “Was Arthur already locked up in the Asylum and this is his own point of view of his downfall?” Or “Did this all actually happen in real time and the events that took place parallel the events of the political statement?” This movie is important, it is a monumental moment in the character’s history, Joker can be done in so many ways and I felt this was one of the best ways to be interpreted. He is such a complex, diverse, and intriguing character that this stand alone movie addresses so many of his traits. Batman while he is a one dimensional character his origins remain the same in each interpretation of said character which is why i felt this movie being so different was a good thing. The way Joker had created Batman in the end is the whole joke of the film. “You wouldn’t get it” is a powerful statement. Perhaps this is all in his head and Batman had already locked Arthur up and the whole movie is an illusion? Who knows, this movie will continue to make everyone think and theorize for many months or even years to come. Best movie of 2019 change my mind :joker_hv_1:

2 Likes

I love the way your mind works. That’s a genius perspective(s) of how to view that movie. I can’t wait to rewatch it in that mindset. I knew the second it was over it was one of those movies that has to be viewed more than once. It was impossible for me to absorb it all in one sitting. The angles u proposed never even crossed my mind.

1 Like

It’s out now on blueray & digital for a good price! I bought it the day they released it.

1 Like

You know what really sucks? My friend I went with is all about Joker. He only collects Joker statues, figs, cars, etc. Has a ridiculous collection. Anyways, he absolutely hated this movie with a passion. He came over & came in to see my new shelf. I said, I found a frame for that poster. He said, you could’ve had two b/c I ripped mine to shreds & put it in the trash soon as I got home that night. If I thought for a second he was gonna do that I would’ve taken it. I literally would’ve given it to u for free. Could’ve mailed it to you easily. Swear I would’ve too.

Joker has received eleven Academy Awards nominations

Best Picture
Actor in a Leading Role - Joaquin Phoenix
Cinematography - Lawrence Sher
Costume Design - Mark Bridges
Directing - Todd Phillips
Film Editing - Jeff Groth
Makeup and Hairstyling - Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou
Music (Original Score) - Hildur Guðnadóttir
Sound Editing - Alan Robert Murray
Sound Mixing - Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic and Tod Maitland
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Written by Todd Phillips & Scott Silver

Which Categories are you rooting for Joker to win in?

4 Likes

I haven’t seen a great many movies that are on the nominee list, but I will say I thought Joker was really good in most of those things so if it won for any of those, I’d understand.

What is annoying to me is there’s so many people saying that Phillips shouldn’t get the nomination. I mean, the director is the guy who orchestrates everything else within the movie, if it all comes together as well as it does, then the director should definitely have a little credit for it.

I’m going to make a wild guess here: I get the feeling that if he didn’t do that whole “woke Hollywood” tirade, there wouldn’t be anywhere near as many people complaining about it.

1 Like

I didn’t hear about that? What kind of ignorant s*** did he say?

Basically he said the reason why he went to a dark drama like Joker when he had previously done comedies over his career is because he felt it’s next to impossible to make comedies in the current culture.

“Go try to be funny nowadays with this woke culture,” Phillips told VF. “There were articles written about why comedies don’t work anymore — I’ll tell you why, because all the ■■■■■■■ funny guys are like, ‘■■■■ this ■■■■, because I don’t want to offend you.’”

Phillips was apparently afraid of the hordes of comedy-haters currently active on social media. He continued, “It’s hard to argue with 30 million people on Twitter. You just can’t do it, right? So you just go, ‘I’m out.’ I’m out, and you know what? With all my comedies — I think that what comedies, in general, all have in common — is they’re irreverent. So I go, ‘How do I do something irreverent, but ■■■■ comedy? Oh I know, let’s take the comic book movie universe and turn it on its head with this.’ And so that’s really where that came from.”

Joker is such a MASTERPIECE of a film! I was surprised at just how much i loved it!

1 Like
1 Like

Joker is now an Academy Award winning film

Best Original Music Score

Hildur Guðnadóttir - WINNER

Best Actor

Joaquin Phoenix - WINNER

EQYyAIaUEAIfeTO

4 Likes

It’s like it says in the movie: you get what you ■■■■■■■ deserve, and both of them did a stellar job with the movie. :smiley:

4 Likes

Completely deserved wins for Joker (and Parasite) :smiley:

1 Like