Joker 2 – Todd Phillips Back As Co-writer

And I think the fact that Todd Phillips is coming back to write it helps make this an easier sell – with the original writer on it, it feels more likely that we’ll get something that will feel legitimate and not just a shameless cash grab.

…Of course, this is the same writer/director who’s most well known franchise up to this point were three movies that were literally the same in terms of structure, jokes and content, so it could also just backfire tremendously. I guess we’ll find out if/when it comes out. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Well, Thomas Wayne died, but that’s more like one evil triumphing over another. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

“…why he does the things that he does.”

That’s my point. The Phoenix Joker doesn’t do those things. Outside of self-defense situations, he murders like 3 people in the film, all of which are more or less"had it coming" by Hollywood standards.

If there’s any point to the traditional Joker’s character, it’s that he is happy to kill indiscriminately. This Joker ot only doesn’t go there, but isn’t even selfish. I enjoyed the flim quite a bit, as well. But, in retrospect, it comes off a very limiting, editorial restriction.

3 Likes

This is the start of The Joker - not the result. Yes, the guy we know and love from comics and movies is chaotic and random but how did he start? That’s what this movie got into and I was okay with his behavior and actions (as a villain).

But hey - that’s me and movies are subjective art open to different interpretations and meanings for each viewer. There’s no right answer and we certainly don’t have to agree on everything as long as we respect each other, as we clearly do.

3 Likes

Some of that is why I didn’t like it

1 Like

A few hours ago it was reportedly done filming. Do not be surprised if the release date is moved up.

2 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

:joy: I just saw this lol. No need to worry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As someone who loved the first one as much as you did, I hope you have this book. I picked it up at a bookstore a few weeks back and love it. Fun to see the actual script and all the production photos they include as well.

Joker: The Official Script Book by Insight Editions (amazon.com)

1 Like

Ooh wow I’ve never actually seen that! Thanks for letting me know about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am not stoked on this movie, this movie if it is going to entertain Harley Quinn, it has to go deep into that relationship and not make it a superficial thing that spirals quickly. It has to dive into Arthur Fleck really devolving into who the Joker is on top of learning how to at a minimum manipulate Harleen Quinzel. The psychology of the first movie has to still be there, with sparks of real mental health issues that are further leading Fleck into a life of sick crime laced now with really dark humor, because lets face it, a humorless joker just isn’t funny. But I would like to Harleen devolve as well into Harley Quinn. A psychologist who doesn’t realize she is being manipulated, and crossing wires of hoping to rehabilitate someone, mistaking a love connection, to in turn being caught up in a delusion and falling into her own mental health problems and crime.

I don’t want her character to at any point realize at any point that she has a problem but have friends who try and fail to save her from what is coming. An I don’t want to see a jealous and paranoid boyfriend, just two messed up people who think they are in love but do not realize what they are doing to each other.

If that gets pulled off, I think it would make for a terrific movie.

I hope the hero in the movie is either a young James Gordon, with Bruce Wayne maybe in his early teens maybe showing him taking a journey in college trying to decide his path between careers in law enforcement, having a place to work in Wayne Industries, while showing signs of really wanting to become Batman and how he plans on getting to that point.

If not that route I’d like to see Batman and very little of Bruce Wayne, with Batman actually being scary, scary enough to scare the Joker and Harley Quinn, which in turn weirdly strengthens their relationship. A little dialogue between the three, but I want that horror jump scene in horror movies, and I want to not see Batman coming when he gets into it with those two and I want to feel like maybe Batman is scarier than the Joker, I want to see a scene where I cant tell if Batman was going to kill the joker or not. Just like the ole debate of who shot first in Star Wars.

Not sure it’ll go well

oh, I am almost certain that Joker 2 is going to be terrible.

Not sure it’ll go well? Going to be terrible? I completely disagree. Hard for me to imagine the person that brought us Joker, a very good movie that won an Academy Award and was well received by audiences, would follow that up with a terrible movie. I expect this to be good at worst.