John Constantine Comic Recs

What would y’all recommend as a starting place to get to know the character?

4 Likes

You can’t go wrong with Hellblazer, the 300 issue Vertigo run on Constantine considered the character’s core work. I’d also recommend Alan Moore’s Saga of the Swamp Thing, where he first appeared, and the recent Hellblazer 12 issue series by Si Spurrier.

6 Likes

Pretty much this :point_up:. There have been other good Constantine stories over the years, but none of them come close to matching John’s character or the tone of the original Hellblazer. I do have nostalgia glasses for that era of Vertigo, though…

6 Likes

Hellblazer for sure - Garth Ennis, Jamie Delano, and Mike Carey all have done some excellent story arcs.

6 Likes

I’ll toss another coin in the 'ol Hellblazer bucket. Its the best for good reason.

As far as in-continuity Constantine stuff goes, I enjoyed John’s Rebirth era quite a bit:

4 Likes

Here’s a little taste of you’ll be getting in comic form.

It’s the closest we’ve ever gotten to seeing the “REAL” Hellblazer on celluloid. :100:

3 Likes

With all due respect to what Jamie Delano did for the book and character, I think the Garth Ennis era is the best of Hellblazer and a great place to jump on.

1 Like