Joel Schumacher Passes At 80

5 Likes

What’s crazy is just last night/ this morning it was like 2 AM I was reading the portion about him and his Batman movies in the the complete history of Batman book.

2 Likes

Wow. This one really hit hard. I love The Lost Boys, St. Elmo’s Fire, and several other films he made. And I find his Batman movies to be fun in their own right.

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. He seemed like such a good guy, even though I didn’t care for his Batman movies. RIP.

4 Likes

So sad to hear. The Lost Boys might’ve been the first of his movies I ever saw.

Of course I remember the hype in 1995 for Batman Forever. I was so excited to see it because we were getting Two-Face and Robin. I loved that Jim Carrey kind of did the laugh in the trailer. My dad took me and my sisters to see it opening weekend. It was part of my sixth grade graduation gift. The theatre was packed. It was different from the Burton movies and I was confused why Two-Face acted more like the Joker, but I remember the movie being fun.

Everyone is gonna bring up Batman and Robin, so I’ll just say I saw it for my junior high graduation and didn’t enjoy it as much.

But Schumacher made some really good movies. Falling Down, Flatliners, 8MM and A Time To Kill showed what he could do with serious material.

To be honest I didn’t know he was 80. He sure didn’t look it.

R.I.P. Mr. Schumacher and thanks for the entertainment. Even with his worst movies, he always got people talking.

7 Likes

I knew it simply because I found it oddly appropriate that a Batman director was born in 1939. He even mentioned it in an interview from last year:

Batman has survived since 1939 — we’re the same age. Nothing has ever stopped Batman.

4 Likes

Rest in Peace.

1 Like

Just found out about him and Ian Holm in the span of an hour. Sad news following the loss of Denny.

5 Likes

Poor guy. There has been a lot of praise for Batman Forever since it was the 25 anniversary. I just listened to the Holy Batcast and Knight Light episodes they released yesterday all about BF! I also just watched The Lost Boys in the Cinema, love that Film!

5 Likes

He is the director of many of my favorite movies and he contributed to the long and storied cinematic history of Batman. Movie theaters were a better place thanks to him just being him.

4 Likes

Did not know this wow. Sad to see him go but his work will be remembered. I always enjoyed forever and &robin. Rest In Peace.

2 Likes

If you guys should see his film Phone Booth if you havent.

2 Likes

That’s a brilliant Film, too.

1 Like

Yep! Glad someone else remembers it! My friends and I used to do a double feature of that and Liberty Stands Still. Two movies with very similar plots that came out around the same time. Both entertaining!

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear it, I just watch his two Batman films last Saturday. I did like Phantom of the opera he directed, so it’s just best I leave it there.

1 Like

Such a heart-breaker. He always seemed like someone who truly loved cinema and every single project he worked on. It’s easy to crap on his Batman films, but there was very clearly a lot of love baked into them. And, even if you can’t enjoy them for what they are, you have to admit that pretty much every other film he’s made have been anywhere from good to phenomenal. Rest in Peace, Mr. Shumacher.

2 Likes

It is with a heavy heart that I announce to you all that director Joel Schumacher died last night at th hff e age of 80 after losing his battle with cancer.

Besides directing two superhero movies that shall never be named, he also directed Lost Boys, St. Elmo’s Fire, and A Time to Kill, which kickstarted Matthew McConaughey’s movie career.

Though he may not have been on good terms with us DC fans, it certainly is sad to lose a director who was loved by so many other people.

2 Likes

Batman Forever has been one of my comfort movies for years. I’ve gotten more use out of that 4-in-1 Collection Forever DVD than out of my toothbrush, probably. He made those movies exactly as he was told to make them, but with flair and panache and more than a little neon. He turned the inevitably bad into a fireworks display. I hope that now we can give Joel the credit the deserves, start learning from the successes of his Batman as opposed to just the failings, and most importantly, get wine-drunk with some friends and spend a damn good night actually laughing at all those ice puns.

Joel Schumacher, you sacrificial lamb, you absolute wild card, you will be missed.

1 Like

Dude! :pensive:

No Seal jokes today, k? @AlexanderKnox

I’m genuinely heartbroken.

Going to listen to Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me in his honor.

It’s interesting that the “'Batman Forever” 25th Anniversary WAL, was this past Saturday, little did we realise we were honoring Jole in his last days.

1 Like