Joe Hill's Second Book from Hill House - The Plunge

Plunge treads familiar waters, wrapping a number of horror/sci-fi tropes into a grisly little tale that manages to be pretty damn creepy. There’s a reason why these tropes work and writer Joe Hill really makes the most of them here in a cinematic coil of dread.

Plunge revolves around the Derleth, an exploration vessel that disappeared into the briny deep forty years ago along with its entire crew. It’s not incomprehensible that something lost at sea for that long would stay that way, but the Derleth miraculously resurfaces following a tsunami, landing half atop a reef in a remote area near the Arctic Circle. Around noon every day, the Derleth sends a distress signal that reveals its position to its owner, Rococo International.

Rococo wants its property back and it hopes to get it before the Russians, who consider that particular Arctic region theirs, hear the signal and are able to divert enough resources to do their own salvage mission. That brings company man David Lancome, a shifty little fellow, to Captain Gage Carpenter’s salvage boat. Lancome offers to pay Gage and his crew, which includes Gage’s two brothers, a hefty sum for the risky mission. It is an offer the Carpenter brothers should, but cannot refuse.

To learn more about The Plunge and take a peek at a few panels, head on over to DC Comics! (Graphic Content Warning)

Have you read this latest entry in the Hill House Imprint? Let us know in the comments below! :point_down:

9 Likes

The @HouseofHorror has covered Plunge, in fact, I think it was the first Hill House book we did after the DC Universe to DC Universe Infinite transition. I remember really liking this story and as @msgtv has mentioned, this would be a great limited series for HBOMax.

The depths of eeriness while never knowing what was around the corner kept me reading along with the amazing character and world building.

6 Likes

The Plunge is better than good, it’s great. I will sit on my couch and wait for the HBOMax version.

6 Likes

HBO at minimum, I want a full theatrical release.

5 Likes

It is short enough for a Major Motion Picture

5 Likes

Yes, agreed. Great book, perfect for the big or small screen. Regardless, a great read imho with potential to be more…

2 Likes