Joaquin Phoenix Joker Movie - What's the catch?

Does anyone else feel like there’s going to some kind of twist in this movie or that something awesome will happen at the end of this movie to make everyone be like “Woah.” Some kind of comic connection of sorts. It just intrigues me that Bruce Wayne is so young in this and seems a little funny that they are portraying this version of the Joker so much older than him. Just some thoughts!

5 Likes

The Hangover fellas will be seen as little kids. It is a Todd Phillips helmet movie from WB afterall.

Setiously, I don’t know. I imagine there’s a twist of some kind but can’t realistically fathom what it might be ATM.

2 Likes

*helmed

1 Like

Idk…looks interesting but I hope it doesn’t just fall flat…mixed feelings for sure​:diamonds::black_joker:

2 Likes

I just want him to fall into the acid at ace chemicals :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Maybe a fish is the catch. Maybe it “laughs” too.

Y’dig?

4 Likes

This movie is in a self-contained universe It’s not going to connected with any other DC movies

4 Likes

Will reserve judgement until I see it of course, but I can say this now: this movie does not excite me whatsoever. It may turn out to be a great one, but it’s not what I currently want from DC. A whole movie about a murdering psychopath isn’t really my cup of tea. The trailer doesn’t help either…looks very depressing. Will still watch because it’s DC, and hope it’s entertaining.

8 Likes

The trailer did not draw me in at all. Will give it a chance but DC has done so well lately and Shazam! looks poised to be a hit. But this one I hope doesn’t derail it.

5 Likes

What if at the end credits of the movie or in the movie, the red hood gang asks him to be apart of some mission and he eventually falls into Ace Chemicals

2 Likes

@valeqas That would be fun.

2 Likes

I’m not seeing what others that are psyched for this movie are seeing. I just don’t get it. It seems like a quick cash grab by producers. I mean, the guy falls down like four times in the trailer and does nothing Joker-esque.

2 Likes

Im interesting in the movie. But you have to think of this not a DC movie. Because the actor pitch the idea to them even though they were going to do this already.

1 Like

I hope there is a twist, and this trailer is misleading. You have probably seen movies after getting excited about the trailer, and then see all the good parts were in the trailer. Hopefully this is the opposite.

The falling down in the trailer looked like more of a highlight on how Gotham city is beating him down. It would be really interesting if in the end he was working on a prototype version of the laughing gas and testing it on fish.

2 Likes

The trailer kinda reminded me of the killing joke, and joaquim Phoenix is a great actor so here’s hoping he knocks the role of the joker outta the park.

2 Likes

I am cautiously optimistic but I loved the trailer! I feel like this could be a grounded and gritty take on the joker. It feels Neal Adams inspired visually, and references King of Comedy a little. JP is an amazing actor so I’m eager to see his take. This feels like a step forward compared to Leto in Suicide Squad. The fact that this is its own stand alone story is great too as it gives them room to tell a great story without having to worry about serializing it or connecting to some greater arc. If this is a prequel that creates a pivotal moment in young Bruce Wayne, that would be cool too!

2 Likes

I’m interested. I’m pretty sure it can’t be worse than The Dark Knight’s Joker or Suicide Squad’s Joker so there’s that. Maybe the catch is that it will have a better Joker but that it won’t make that much money?

1 Like

As I mentioned as where Joaquin Phoenix and Robert De Niro are great actors; if given a decent script and direction, this could be a real sleeper.

1 Like

Phoenix said that this is intended to be a low budget character study, not a superhero film.

With that in mind, I think it will come down to expectations. If one expects an action movie, one will likely be disappointed. But if one can suspend their vision of the Joker (i.e. the canononical Joker and understand that this Joker may be very different) then the film may mean more and be more enjoyable. And we know that some aspects of the Joker are very different already as we can see a significant age difference between Joker and Wayne that doesn’t exist in the Joker/Batman canon.

So, imo, you have to approach this one a bit differently than most DC films.

1 Like