Jim Lee Interview - THE Article On the Future of DC

The article

The most important thing is that DC Universe is here to stay.

28 Likes

I was about to post this same thing. Overall Jim touches on a lot that has us all worried, he’s put my mind at ease A TON. The one thing that was a red flag for me personally was putting out comics that align with the properties on screen and such. With Aquaman ending this immediately made me feel like if they relaunch they will transform him into Mamoa Aquaman which would kill the character entirely for me. That’s my brain running away with one sentence though.

6 Likes

Yes, I’m glad that they put Jim Lee out there to answer the hard questions. While I will miss seeing the video content on here, (since I don’t have HBO Max) I’m glad that there are assurances that things will continue here. I’ve always said that as long as this place has comics, like Marvel Unlimited, I’m here to stay. And hopefully with video out of the way and all the weird legal issues that entails globally, DC Universe can expand to other countries finally! Let’s hope so!

10 Likes

Here’s the bit about us:

What is going to happen to DC Universe?

The original content that is on DCU is migrating to HBO Max. Truthfully, that’s the best platform for that content. The amount of content you get, not just DC , but generally from WarnerMedia, is huge and it’s the best value proposition, if I’m allowed to use that marketing term. We feel that is the place for that.

In regards to the community and experience that DCU created, and all the backlist content, something like 20.000 to 25,000 different titles, and the way it connected with fans 24-7, there is always going to be a need for that. So we’re excited to transform it and we’ll have more news on what that will look like. It’s definitely not going away.

19 Likes

All sounds awesome™:+1:

4 Likes

@Bullcan @superby1 Boy do I have an aritcle for you guys. Jim Lee confirms all video content to HBOMax and DCU changin to comic only.

1 Like

Makes total sense.

3 Likes

No video content, originals anymore. Comics only and fan forums.
Please Keep Rewards lol

3 Likes

unnamed~2

6 Likes

Well, it’s a bit vague but it sounds like “old” video stuff will stay, it’s just all the original stuff will move to HBO Max, I’m guessing this includes of course Titans and Young Justice. Older series will probably stay, though I can see the big stuff like Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond moving too.

6 Likes

A couple other things he mentions is the return of Milestone Comics and John Ridley of 12 Years a Slave fame doing a huge Batman miniseries.

5 Likes

Yes, very excited for Milestone!

5 Likes

Thank God it’s not going anywhere and here to stay. I was worried I was gonna have to rush read comics but I can take my time on the series now. Although I hope they keep the rewards as well and do more Q&As with the people from the films and the tv series once in awhile…

1 Like

Yeah, but Warner Media President wants every video content on HBOMax as soon as possible. Originals are the first thing for sure, but I can see the change being DCU being a comic only.

I hope this might mean that with no originals WB might see fit to allow Vertigo and Black Label issues on here.

5 Likes

Someone should have given these answers months ago. At least for me it is reassuring they’ll keep the service even if they confirm the video content will be gone. Am I disappointed? Sure. But I never wanted to open the app and get attached to it in the first place because all the signs pointed to the service being shelved completely.

Such great news!! My takeaways are that they are still focusing on publishing, the comic library and community are here to stay, and original video content will be moving to HBO. That’s really everything I could have hoped for. Fingers crossed that original video content will still be produced onto the HBO platform - I know the chances of that are slim, but I’m gonna channel Superman and hold out hope! There haven’t been many good days lately, but today is definitely one of them. :raised_hands:

4 Likes

We should all binge Harley Quinn on HBO Max to make sure we get a third season!

4 Likes

@Mae I was thinking the same thing about Young Justice! Ya can’t keep a good nerd down :muscle::nerd_face:

3 Likes

I’m not sure which is more surprising: the news or that you took it upon yourself to be the bearer of the news. I know you must be thrilled…