Jewish Representation in Harley Quinn

What do you mean?

1 Like

The whole show is full of offensive jokes and graphic deaths for most characters. While you’re at it, why don’t you get mad about the cancer ray? I don’t know. I just feel like there really wasn’t a big issue. Harley’s jewish, apparently, and she’s the main character of the show.

4 Likes

I never really thought of that but as a Jewish person who knows other Jewish people I can see how it can be a bit offensive. Especially with the long noses and graphic deaths.

1 Like

Literally watching SOUTH PARK right now so WTF? I think you’re worried about the WRONG SHOW BUB!

1 Like

It isn’t okay just because something else is worse, though. Southpark is a separate discussion.

2 Likes

I’m just saying if you’re going to be up in arms about something go comment on all of Comedy Central & the South Park twitter page’s comment threads and the Reddit pages and everywhere you can. Go PROTEST SOUTH PARK outside Comedy Central first. I do not understand. I do not understand why someone would bring up references in HQ when in SP antisemitism jokes are soo blatantly spewed in the Jewish peoples faces for years and years & it probably still happens in this new season but I’ll let you know later, I’m only on the first episode.

I never said it was “okay because something is worse” Don’t put words in my mouth @MildlyRebelliousMint

I think this is a good thing to bring up & is a bad thing that is has happened & it needs to be discussed & could stop here if the show moves forward but to bring up HQ when SP operates at the level it does & has been is something I don’t understand.

I’m sorry if I misunderstood. I certainly didn’t mean to put words in your mouth. That said, the people here are fans of DC and they care about the characters and probably do enjoy some aspects of the show. I think it’s normal to want to have a discussion about the problems they see with it and what parts make them uncomfortable. I wouldn’t say they were up im arms about it, either. It seems to be a very nuanced discussion to me.

2 Likes

Matt Stone has a Jewish mother, so it’s pretty much the same issue: can a Jewish storyteller claim the right to make “ironic antisemitism” in their works?

3 Likes

If you ask me, even if you are a Jewish person you shouldn’t be allowed to get away with antisemetic comments.

3 Likes

There is certainly a blurred line that separates healthy self-deprecating humor from internalized bigotry, and things that are intended to be firmly on one side often overlap.

4 Likes

Huh?

It’s not necessarily a bad thing to laugh at yourself, but in doing so, you might reveal that you’ve accepted many of the hateful ideas that other people have of your demographic. Case in point: Jewish creators making fun of Jewish culture.

6 Likes

In all seriousness, I think it’s much more practical to avoid reading or viewing media that you find particularly offensive. For example, I like stand up comedy. There are some comedians whose material I find so offensive that I don’t listen to them. Either because of especially crude and shocking material, or just because I don’t like the point of view they’re expressing through comedy. It’s only entertainment, after all.

On a show where someone called Wonder Woman the C word, it’s interesting to me that people find the Jewish stereotypes so offensive. That show is all offensive content. I think it would be ridiculous if I watched the whole series and then started complaining about the content after I’d willingly sat through the whole thing.

Let me beat a dead horse…it’s ok to say the content is offensive, but if you watched it all anyway, it’s hard to take your complaints seriously.

3 Likes

Like the HQ series or Mel Brooks movies

2 Likes

You’re confusing “this is a joke that might be over the line” to “this has a long history in hate speech.” Imagine the difference between joining a USO tour and making what you think is a Bay of Pigs joke and showing live footage of soldiers being killed in a minefield. The problem with the latter is that it’s traumatic, not offensive. And it’s hard to take lectures about responsibility seriously from someone who deliberately dismisses the difference…

3 Likes

To be honest I was a little confused by the whole Bar Mitzvah episode on Harley Quinn, I know it was done to be funny and maybe to introduce Penguin’s nephew. But Penguin’s background was the scoin of an old money WASP family, the Cobblepots. The episode was funny, and I doubt it was meant to be culturally insensitive. They needed a party with a theme for a kid that would have adults present.

2 Likes

I agree that at the very least, it’s in poor taste. You have every right to be offended and speak your mind. But you could have turned it off.

That would be a deliberate attempt to offend a specific group of people. It’s different than a show that’s streaming. Also, no soldiers were harmed in the making of HQ.

War is traumatic. Abuse is traumatic. Harsh words on a tv show are offensive. That’s all I’m saying.

I think Daniel tosh has some holocaust jokes. I know Jeff Ross did. A lot worse than what was on HQ. But people still watch all of that and enjoy it. Not much to be done about it.

I’d think that with what’s going on in the US today no one would care about a TV show. Especially one that has something offensive for everyone.

3 Likes

Are we forgetting the part where stereotypes are comedic because they are wrong. The point is that it is outlandish and is to be laughed at. In a show with offensive humor, being outrageous is just part of it. Its ok not to enjoy that type of humor but that doesn’t make it a flaw in the show.

9 Likes

Don’t forget how Sy Borgman refers to himself as “Half man, half Jew”. We need to end the culture of hate, especially when it’s masked as humor.

4 Likes

There are many good points in this discussion, I must admit I missed the connection. We must be very careful as with current events we find ourselves on a slippery slope. Are we headed to a society where the only safe jokes target male WASPs? How long before we realize that is also unacceptable. Writers will find themselves constantly worrying about offending someone and a lot of good stories may go unwritten. It is unfortunate that Penguin’s image is so similar to the hateful images of 1930s Germany; regardless of the author’s heritage care needs to be taken.

4 Likes