Jason Todd in Titans -- Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on Jason Todd being in Titans and possibly becoming a more central character in the second season? In the comics he didn’t last all that long as an actual Teen Titan, so why choose him to be a part of the cast? And do you think the writers are focusing too heavily on Batman characters, when there are so many other characters from the Teen Titans roster that could (and should!) get some much-needed love and attention for once in mainstream media?

(This is in no way an anti-Jason Todd post. I love the kid, both in comics and the series. Just want to hear some opinions!)

(Also, please excuse me if this thread has been done before or is in the wrong board section!)

2 Likes

Bringing in Jason Todd just invites more Batman hate from the show. Great show so far but this Batman slander is tiresome

1 Like

I see him more as a guest star than becoming a Titan

3 Likes

I thought he was only going to appear in an episode or two, as well, but after this most recent episode, I’m starting to think differently. Also, the actor who plays him, on his IMBD page, he’s listed to be in every episode of the second season. And it’s not that I’m not happy to see him, but why not bring in characters that are better known for being Titans? There’s Wally, Roy, Garth, Lilith, Malcolm, Karen, Vic… But I guess it’s still too early to say and we could see some of those faces later on.

1 Like

The addition of Jason Todd was an excellent decision. The producers did say we’ll be seeing classic Titans like Kid Flash and Arsenal down the road. I truly believe titans is the best dctv show out there. I’m still hoping for a Batman appearance tho​:bat::bat:

4 Likes

I still think it’s just a big team up for the season finale and may guest star a few times in s2 but won’t be a main character or part of the team

1 Like

I like Jason, but bad things could come with it. Reception wise.

I think Jason Todd being on the show is fabulous. His death with be epic for Dick, proving it to himself he did the right thing leaving Batman.

For some reason, I’m having a feeling that they might not include Jason’s death, or even try to rewrite it so he doesn’t even die. Death in the family is such a Batman-centric storyline, it seems odd that they would want to make that a focus point in Titans. If they kill him on screen, they’re going to have to bring in the Bats, and if they kill him off screen, they why even introduce him to the audience in the first place? I think Jason is going to be sticking around longer than we think, especially after the most recent episode, where it seems as though he’s going to play a part in the season finale.

1 Like

Maybe he dies off screen and Dick gets a call from Bruce? Leading Dick to blow up on him and realize he is better off without being Robin and cutting ties is the right thing to do. Than Jason comes back as Red Hood and we have a battle with him vs the Titans. Dick finds out who he is and tries to get him go work with them.

1 Like

I did enjoy the ex-boyfriend meeting new boyfriend dynamic that they played off each other. Kind of the funniest bit they pulled off this season.

1 Like

The more development for his character on Titans the better. May lead to a Batfam show or Red Hood show which would be absolutely awesome

2 Likes

The actor nailed the portrayal, but I don’t like the character, and he doesn’t really belong in a Titans series; his death, if it happens (I vote for him permanently staying dead, in the spirit of a comics property trying something new for once) should be off screen, as it is very definitely a Bats-centric thing.

I certainly don’t mind occasional appearances, but there are enough other characters with enduring links to various iterations of Teen Titans that we don’t need him (or a non-powered Hawk and Dove, for that matter). I’d far prefer to have more Donna, or Roy, or Garth, Wally or Bart, to Jason or Hawk and Dove

2 Likes

Curran Walters did do an excellent job as Jason Todd, finding a good balance of cocky, over-confident teenager and over-excited, dorky kid who just wants to be a hero. It was such a contrast to Dick’s aloof and standoffish persona. But if he is staying around, that means that the writers are going to have to come up with their own material, because Jason didn’t last all too long as Robin before he was killed off.

I love Red Hood and think he’s a very interesting character – and that his personality would fit in seamlessly with the tone of this show – but chronologically, it wouldn’t make much sense. Red Hood is an older and more “mature” version of Jason, so it would be strange if they killed him off as Jason and then x amount of episodes later he shows up again. A kid/teenage version of Red Hood just doesn’t seem right. It’ll be interesting to see where the writers go with his character regardless.

My biggest complaint, though, is seeing all the fanfiction where he’s being shipped with Dick and cringe Bruce. Like, he’s still just a kid! Please don’t pair him with adults.

2 Likes

He’s :ok_hand:

@Sunflower, I’m all in favor of new material. In fact, I really wish the series wouldn’t go back over story lines that have already been done. I’m tired of origin stories. I’d have been just as happy (or happier) with a live action Titans where we got dropped into an established team that has already been doing their thing for a while - give us a few lines of dialog when needed to explain some intricacy or change to the backstory (but have it all generated and written down somewhere for the writers, and require them to stick to the rules/backstory created), then bring on new story lines and new villains. No need to retread what has already been done in other mediums.

Some people don’t know their origins and want to see it. They wouldn’t get people into the team if they threw you into established stories.

1 Like

I can’t wait to see what happens when he turns into red hood

1 Like

I do think with some characters like Batman, Superman, and in Marvel Spider-Man that they should move past retelling their origin stories. But even given this is DC Universe not as many know their origins, and DC has altered them, not to mention they are not stories that have been told time and time again like Batman’s origin. And they did downplay Robin’s origin to just a short flashback since most know that one. I would be cool with an established team, but I don’t think telling a mostly untreaded tale of how they form with as many changes as this had hinders it.

I think it’s really cool that Jason Todd is apart of the show because Dick Grayson is inching closer and closer to becoming Nightwing and they probably put him in to further explore his origins in the tv world since not many tv shows or movies even mention him. But also to show that Dick is no longer Robin.

2 Likes