James Gunn will reboot the DCEU?

You maybe have heard the rumours that James Gunn is gonna help rebuild the DCEU and may even lead it (like kevin feige). What do you think of that?

3 Likes

Gunn allows his actors and story writers to use too much profanity and adult jokes. The Guardians movies are fun but the jokes and near constant profanity get really annoying really fast.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s just a rumor. It seems that anytime a director or producer gets hired by WB the internetā€™s claims that they are ā€˜rebootingā€™ and said hire is ā€œDCā€™s Kevin Fiege!ā€ I wont rule it out or anything but I see no reason to assume any truth to the rumor.
Iā€™d be down for it, James Gunn is a self proclaimed ā€œbig fanā€ of Man of Steel and he considers Zack Snyder to be a very good friend.

5 Likes

I was intrigued until I heard that he was a fan of Zack Snyder. I donā€™t want a repeat of what we went through last time. The brand is already damaged enough and itā€™s just barely started to heal.

3 Likes

Squid they all say their fans of each other, just being part of the club. I donā€™t think DC should have a single style or controller ala Marvel, though Iā€™m looking forward to Squid Squad

2 Likes

@Awesome-squid, making Superman behave in a manner consistent with the comic book version is ā€œruiningā€ the character? Weird

4 Likes

Unlikely while heā€™s still working for Marvel as well.

1 Like

@Zombedy I donā€™t think he behaves like the comic book character. You may like him, and thatā€™s okay, but I donā€™t think either of us could say that he behaves like the comic book character. At least not in Man of Steel. And itā€™s not just the characterization of Superman that ruins the DCEU. Itā€™s a lot of things. But thatā€™s a topic for another thread. I probably shouldnā€™t have brought up my criticisms here in the first place.

2 Likes

@awesome-squid, thatā€™s fair enough. I will add that nothing hurt the character more than Superman 3 and 4 yet people still think of Reeve fondly and nobody was attacking Richard Lester for years following those abortions. But youā€™re right, for another thread at another time.

But on topic, I think @Chad22 is right about his Marvel duties preventing him from taking a huge role like "franchise architect". He would be himself very thin and wouldnt be able to give either his full, undivided attention.
1 Like

@Zombedy Iā€™m glad to see that despite our very different tastes in films we can both agree that Quest for Peace should never have happened.

And I agree that it wouldnā€™t work. Both franchises would worsen as a result. Maybe he can do a few films for DC, but I believe him running the whole thing would just be too much unless he decides to do less for Marvel.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be thrilled! And I donā€™t think heā€™d make everyone raunchy. I could see him doing that with Suicide Squad and maybe Aquaman, but I think heā€™d make the other characters contrast against that.

2 Likes

I am okay with it. I think itā€™s good to see different approaches from different directions as long as he maintains character integrity things will be fine.

3 Likes

The website that I think covered this first was ā€œWeGotThisCoveredā€, and theyā€™re probably the most click-baity news site on the internet. Iā€™d take this with a grain of salt honestly, considering how James Gunn is going back to Marvel for Guardians 3 after he finishes Suicide Sqaud. Also, I love James Gunn, but we saw what happened the last time DC/WB put a film director with a specific filming style in charge of their shared universe, and Iā€™d rather have the DCEU get a third soft reboot.

4 Likes

James Gunn wrote the script for Dawn of the Dead, so Iā€™m not surprised heā€™s friends with Zack Snyder.

2 Likes

Sorry, meant to say Iā€™d rather NOT get a third soft reboot.

2 Likes

James Gunn is my second favorite director of all time so Iā€™d be on board But itā€™s unlikely

2 Likes