James Gunn & Peter Safran To Head DC Movies/TV

I hope we get a Booster Gold film out of this

7 Likes

Well, I certainly didn’t see that coming. It’s a solid mix – Safron seems to be a good producer who’s had good success in movies including the superhero genre, and with James Gunn, regardless of your view of his sense of humor, his love for comics is everpresent in his films.

I think one thing this indicates that makes me happy is that this shows that DC Films won’t just stick to the tried-and-true regulars. While I’m glad we’re getting stuff like Superman on the big screen again, I was worried that there would be less focus on the weird, off-kilter and unknown characters that really gives the DC Universe it’s flavor. I think with a guy in charge that’s brought the likes of Peacemaker, Bloodsport, Judomaster and the freaking Polka-Dot Man on screen, let alone his contributions to the MCU in Guardians of the Galaxy, is definitely going to make sure that we get a good mix of the classics and the weirdos.

10 Likes

Now I’m feeling more confident about Doom Patrol returning for a fifth season.

7 Likes

I’m pretty excited myself.

8 Likes

I hope a Hitman series is possible now. That show would be very fun, unique and almost perfect for HBO Max.

8 Likes

Man, now I’m thinking of a Peacemaker/Doom Patrol crossover. That would be AWESOME.

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing

4 Likes

This is some very interesting news! Let’s hope for some good stuff in the future.

4 Likes

Imagine the chemistry Diane Guerrero and John Cena would have with each other.

3 Likes

But who would play her? How about you, @Shayera.Hol?

3 Likes

I am ready for some stability!

I think Gunn will do well as in a creative director type role. I think he will give directors a long enough leash to give each movie a different voice.

6 Likes

Best news in years. He was the first person i thought of when it was announced that Zaz was looking for a DC Steward. I think he has taste, loves the characters and is well liked enough to hopefully repair some of the damage from Zazlav and Jason Kilar before him. Looking great forward to the next DC era

5 Likes

Gotta wonder how this will impact James Gunn’s promotional duties for the two remaining Guardians of the Galaxy projects he has. Will be weird to see the head of DC out on talk shows talking about Marvel movies, shows and characters.

1 Like

I have faith that James Gunn is gonna fix DC. I mean he did make the 2nd Suicide Squad, which is 1 of the best DC movies ever made!
I just want things to be good for DC!

3 Likes

James Gunn‘s brother is gonna be in so many movies after this.

7 Likes

While I did not connect well with The Suicide Squad, I did enjoy Peacemaker. So James Gunn isn’t necessarily a guaranteed win for me, though I do think he’s the right person to keep the DCEU as a creator-friendly property (as it was supposed to be in the first place before WB meddled too much).

5 Likes

And his wife too! Just the first taste in Black Adam!

4 Likes

I’m happy that:

• There’s an official “DC Studios” now.
  • That found someone to run it.
  • That those folks seem to be universally liked.

All good news.

I only only know James Gunn from The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker and Guardians Of The Galaxy. All fun stuff; I like the quality of his work and the consistency of his tone. Having said that, I do like a bit less comedy & sarcasm in my superhero content (unless it’s a hallmark for the character, like Harley). Hopefully he is able to help craft an integrated DC Universe without forcing everything to be “funny”. Balance is key.

Safran seems to have worked on a variety of successful films, which is a very good thing given the variety of DC characters to mine from.

Rooting for them both to do a great job.

And waiting on the Henry Cavill Superman movie announcement.

7 Likes

:dc: Am I extremely, ridiculously happy with this news?? :tada: :dancer:t2:

@AlexanderKnox Agree. I’m a fan of his, yes, but I believe he can deliver exactly this, plus w/ more characters and genres (and not cancel projects left n’ right) and that’s a big win, imo. :purple_heart: (Hi, btw! :smile:)

10 Likes

No, the rating wouldn’t have affected the viewership. The problem with The Suicide Squad is its title, Suicide Squad (2016) is not a good film by any metric. Who would watch another Suicide Squad film if the last one sucked ass?

2 Likes