James Gunn Calls Out Previous DC Leadership Over IP Mismanagement Issues

9 Likes

ooh drama

7 Likes

I mean… is he wrong?

12 Likes

Nope.

7 Likes

Not at all. Zack Snyder was a idiot for making Batman v Superman instead of making Man of Steel 2, and making Batman attack Superman without a good reason.
Batman vs Superman had the worst Lex Luthor, and Batman cry to the name Martha.
Justice League had no Green Lantern.
Oh and Justice League was a copy of Marvel’s Avengers movie and the first Wonder Woman movie was a copy of Captain America: The First Avengers.

Superman had by far the worst costume for not having a red trunk, and these movies seem so depressing.

To be fair, the only good films were Shazam, Aquaman & Wonder Woman '84. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Strong words, but I appreciate the boldness! I personally really liked BvS AND the Whedon cut, but glad to see the love for WW84!

5 Likes

I think we can benefit, as a fandom, from breaking the cycle of framing new & upcoming movies/shows around what has come before. WB’s mistakes were obvious, so were Snyder’s (& I say that as a fan of his movies). It’s been discussed to death, & I feel like going back to all that only breeds negativity that hampers our collective ability to enjoy new movies & shows.

Of course truly breaking that cycle is a two-way street. It takes fan support and the newly minted DC Studios making good on their promises. Based on Mr. Gunn’s video, and what has been revealed about the new projects so far, I am optimistic that we will get there.

7 Likes

Wonderfully written post here @moro. Agreed with every aspect. :+1:

8 Likes

Thank you @DC89 :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Can’t add anything to this that hasn’t already been said. Especially by @HubCityQuestion (brief and to the point), and @moro (both thoughtful, and on the money!). Fine post @DC89. I look for more, in the future! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thank you!

BG DCSHG

6 Likes

To be clear, Snyder’s first choice for a sequel was actually a solo Superman movie with Brainiac as the lead villain, with the possibility of a Bruce Wayne cameo. WB ordered it to be a Batman Vs Superman movie which would then lead to a Justice League movie.

Like it or not, but that was Snyder doing the best he could with the corporate edict that was given to him.

9 Likes

Well said @Jay_Kay. All to often, what we get on the big screen is a reflection of something that may have started out very differently in the creative hands of a writer or director. Before being “filtered” through the eyes of big $$$ people. BvS being a good example of that. And of course we all know how differently Justice League wound up, in the hands of Joss Whedon after Zack was forced to drop out, to deal with the loss of his daughter. I’m just sayin’, sometimes we have to give things a good 2nd or even 3rd look, to really see what’s there. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t call JL a copy of Avengers

Didn’t mind the outfit, it was his personality in some places that gave me an issue

5 Likes

No, and what James Gunn said is equivalent to what Marvel Studios did back in the 90’s - 00’s (fortunately? DC has mostly stayed put at Warner Bros Studios).

Marvel back then was so broke they were letting any Studio purchase the rights to intellectual property - which is why we had Spider-Man at Sony (and still do), Hulk at Universal (Marvel even had to wrangle Nemor from Universal to use in Black Panther), Blade at New Line, X-Men at 20th Century Fox, Iron Man at Paramount - and it’s taken how long for Disney / Marvel to get 95% of their intellectual property back?

I welcome a cohesive use of DC intellectual property …

4 Likes