Jack Kirby

Found a Thor king size edition #4 in my brothers old stack and found that it was written by Stan lee and penciled by Jack Kirby. Realizing how ahead of his time he was I went straight for DCU to read Superman’s pal Jimmy Olsen, Mister miracle, and The new gods. Decided to reach out here to ask about any standout issues written by jack that are must reads?

7 Likes

The new gods, mister miracle and the demon are must reads by him

3 Likes

The Fourth World books are hand down his best DC stuff: Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen, New Gods, Mr Miracle and Forever People.

Challengers of the Unknown is also a pretty solid especially since it anticipates alot of stuff he would go on to do with FF.

2 Likes

Kamandi is great crazy fun. Planet of the Apes, but all the animals talk! Just so many crazy creations.

3 Likes

Read whatever you can find by Kirby. The man was the greatest–The King–of this wonderful world of comics!

1 Like

I agree with @TravisMorgan, Kamandi is a great and fun run

3 Likes

Whenever the comics of today start to feel like theyre tryin to hard at “realism”, i dig up some batcrap crazy kirby and smile,smile,smile

4 Likes

Does anyone else remember those wild, trippy collages that Jack would inject in his books? They would explode off the page and blow your mind!

2 Likes

Really fun especially if you’re into the Vertigo series is Kirby’s late silver/early bronze age take on the Sandman that Gaiman mined fairly heavily for the Doll’s House arc. Kirby only did a few issues the best of which being the first where he teamed up with his old partner Joe Simon for the last time.

1 Like

Lifetime Jack Kirby fan here. That’s a great find congrats. The King was undisputedly “way” ahead of his time. Love the involvement in YJ3. Just shows you how timeless his work was. It’s stimulating even in today’s times. It’s truly a timeless, endless, piece of art, that will thrill for generations of comic book fans.

1 Like