It looks like Jared Leto’s Joker movie is scrapped..thoughts?

I didn’t like Leto’s version of The Joker so I don’t mind that the films were cancelled.

Phoenix’s Joker movie looks intriguing and I can’t wait to see it.

2 Likes

I absolutely abhorred the Joker in Suicide Squad, but I do not blame Jared Leto. I think he is an incredible actor, who fully committed to the worst version of Joker I have ever seen. In the wake of Suicide Squad, I strongly hoped that they took a Morrison approach to the Joker in subsequent films, where the Joker periodically reinvents his own personality. Were this the case, I would love to see Leto take on different interpretations of the Joker. But if the plan was to keep the ghetto-fabulous-dude-bro Joker, then I am very happy to never see that again. Love Leto, though.

4 Likes

I really didn’t mind him playing Joker…I think they were trying to appeal to a younger audience. Could have gone without the grills tho. Kinda liked his kind of crazy…that being said I think he was okay for me in small doses. Not really sure how a whole movie just with him would be :diamonds::black_joker:

1 Like

I would be surprised to see him asked back to play the Joker in any capacity. Just being okay isn’t good enough.

2 Likes

The studio did cut and edited the crap out of that Suicide Squad movie. That was when they had their sh** management and tried to course correct after BVS and ended setting the DCEU back a decade, and essentially ending any plans of a shared universe. Originally they had Leto’s Joker being physically abusive, hitting her and knocking her out of the chopper. But she is still codependent. That would be sick but much more interesting, that is who they are. It would be very dysfunctional. They didn’t make that movie.

2 Likes

…I understand a lot of the public may not be ready for superhero movies and shows to go in some of these more realistic scenarios. The truth is the market is saturated with these shows/movies now, so you have to make them interesting to stand out amongst the growing competition.

Looking forward to the Joaquin Phoenix “Joker,” movie. That looks new and interesting.

1 Like

Maybe it’s all true about Jared Leto playing a brainwashed Jason Todd with fake memories. All the hype for future Leto Joker movies could just be there to throw us all off and make it more of a surprise when the reveal happens. After watching him in suicide squad I did kinda hope that Leto wasn’t our new Joker. (PimpJoker)

1 Like

That idea and rumor is even more eww

1 Like

I think it’s safe to assume that DC really just wants to move far and away from everything they done from Man of Steel to Justice League, with the exception of Wonder Woman. It’s why they’re focusing more on stand-alone films, it’s why they didn’t want to renew Henry Cavill’s contract, it’s why they’re making a Batman movie with a younger Batman, it’s why they’re doing a soft reboot for Suicide Squad, and it’s most likely why Jared Leto’s Joker film isn’t gonna materialize. DC wants to move forward, and they’re doing it by just cutting ties with everything they’ve done up until Aquaman.

2 Likes

@Truth_of_Pisces yeah u may be on to something there. Both WW and Aquaman seem like much different movies than we’ve been given before and both films had enormous success. So far Shazam(fingers crossed) looks pretty good as well. Maybe DC has finally discovered life outside of Bats and Supes(and their villains)…

WB is basically picking everything that work out of their early DCEU (i.e. Gadot/Wonder Woman, Momoa/Aquaman, Robbie/Harley Quinn), and then burning the rest down to move forward.

3 Likes

@OldMan, that’s the worst way of going about it, to ignore what the fans want and instead cater to critics who don’t like the movies.

2 Likes

@xnam the fans did speak when JL bombed financially at the box office. That has nothing to do with critics. If you liked those movies, I’m glad you did. But the movie going masses did not.

They do not make movies for the 200-300k comic book fans. They make them for the millions-upon-millions of people that spend money to go to the movies. And when JL bombed those people spoke.

3 Likes

@OldMan, Weren’t Wonder Woman and Aquaman also featured in Justice League? Shouldn’t by your logic Aquaman and Wonder Woman been “burned” and pushed aside as well? I don’t see how you can use Justice League to pick at certain characters, but not others.

2 Likes

honestly, im pretty happy, I can’t say he was horrible since apparently they cut his good scenes out, but from what i saw, I wasn’t impressed, and I just didn’t love his whole getup, even though I liked the mobboss concept. However, 2 joker movies within like 3 years is WAY too much.

1 Like

@XNam360 technically yes. But the Wonder Woman solo film was already a hit between BvS and JL, and Gal Gadot became a pop culture phenomenon off of that movie. I’m pretty sure the Aquaman movie was already in the early stages of production (a.k.a. millions of dollars already spent) by the time JL was a bomb so it was too late to scrap that film. Aquaman got lucky by being an entertaining movie that was able to gain word of mouth despite middling reviews. If there was even a slight stumble by the Aquaman box office performance that would have been trashed too.

Look it’s all big conglomerate movie studio business decisions that are all based on money. And I know a lot of people on these boards LOVE those movies. But if you even dig the slightest into movie budgets and what one has to do at the box office to be considered a success, then you’ll notice that BvS, Suicide Squad, and JL were flops. And movie studios don’t continue with flops. I would even argue that if WB wasn’t trying to play catch-up with Disney-Marvel, they would have scrapped the entire universe after Justice League. But they are and at this point they are picking out the characters (actually actors) that have connected with audiences so far and leaving the rest behind.

And as a DC fan, I am happy about that. As a film fan, I am happy about that. But all of this is just my analysis as a fan. So if you as a fan really like that early DCEU stuff, keep cheerleading for it.

3 Likes

I’m okay with this. I would have gone to see the movies but I just didn’t like the way they were going with him as Joker.

3 Likes

Good! Nothing against him. I liked his version of the Joker… But too many cooks in the kitchen…

1 Like

Good! Nothing against him. I liked his version of the Joker… But too many cooks in the kitchen…

1 Like