Is 'Titans' Too Dark, Too Adult-Oriented?

I’m a longtime Titans fanboy. Started collecting in the early Perez/Wolfman days. I still have a fondness for the team, especially the original characters. I’ve been watching this series and liking most of what I’ve seen but I just think it’s gone out of its way to be adult-oriented.

I’m way more of a DC reader than anything, but I liked the Netflix Marvel shows, even though they were frequently dark, but this outperforms them all in terms of graphic content and language. The over-the-top use of the F-bomb in particular sometimes seems like it was written by middle schoolers trying to sound adult.

Plus, I’m not sure who to root for. No one at this point is very sympathetic or endearing. I’m finishing up season one, so maybe it will redeem itself soon. I’ll watch until the end, but I’m hopeful they’ll wise up and produce a second season that may be a little more fun.

1 Like

It is a bit more mature than I thought it would be, but I’m hooked. We watched all eleven episodes, in what seems like a week or so. Sigh, it’s going to be a long wait for Season 2. Geoff Johns rocks.

2 Likes

Hopefully DC stays with good always wins.

2 Likes

For little kids, probably. Its the best thing Ive watched in a while. Waiting for season 8 of GofT hear… so yeah… lol

1 Like

yep definitely wouldn’t recommend for little kids :-). agree some of the violence is over the top - especially the violence against cops (especially by starfire?), but seems like they want to keep it us vs. the world and have them as outsiders.

I am high school age and the first episode was really good, but then they started dropping f-bombs left and right in the second episode and I was all like “Rip I really was looking forward to this”

1 Like

I feel like in the doom patrol show cyborg would end up on Titans eventually

I think it really caters to a more mature audience and that’s a good thing. DC can do family oriented shows on the CW and dark as well. I love how they can do both and satisfy all audiences. I’m currently on episode 5 on Titans and WOW!! I am blown away by it. Definitely a happy fan right here…:grin::+1:t3:

Cw isn’t always kid appropriate… there was a whole episode of the Flash at a strip clun

club

The comics are actually just as dark or darker. They use symbols for cuss words but there’s a ton of DC characters that have physical, sexual, mental abuse etc in their backstories. Plus there’s nudity in the comics exactly the way they shot the one with Minka. Shadows covering just barely is comic accurate with a lil exposure in some areas. I actually applaud TITANS for making a show that didn’t shy away from those comic book accurate areas.

1 Like

I’ve watched titans with a 13 year old and it was fine

2 Likes

I think it was the perfect mix to separate itself from marvel. If they want to be family oriented let dc be the adult version us fans want and need. Loved finally seeing not only one, but 2 robins in a live adaptation and what better two than Dick Grayson and Jason Todd beautifully articulated story line for both setting up future shows in the dc universe and future seasons. Came into watching the show skeptical but the dark theme and fight scenes were amazing. Loved everything about the first season of titans up until the cliffhanger it leaves you on.

It’s not too Dark as long as DC Universe creates a variety of different types of shows. I don’t want all their original shows to have same tone. There should be something for every type of fan. I loved Titans and can’t wait until season 2 but Young Justice starts this week and that can be much more family friendly. You don’t have to watch everything. Watch what you enjoy.

I haven’t watched the show but being dark is what makes DC stand out. It’s what made me a fan to begin with.

1 Like

I’d like to see them tone down the graphic violence. Not because it offends me in any way but I feel it is used to cover up poor fight choreography. As far as the language I don’t mind it from certain characters. Jason Todd felt natural dropping F-bombs. Other characters less so. Once again don’t use the mature rating to try and distract from bad writing. I really enjoyed Titans, but it did have its issues. I’m looking forward to Doom Patrol and season 2. Titans season 1 was an excellent way to sell this streaming service as being adult oriented, now fine tune it a little.

1 Like

It’s so dark and over the top reminds me of this show I liked called powers from playstation, but watched it again and I think I liked it because I was an “edgy” 17 year old.

One part of me says “yes DC distance yourself from that wide audience Disney appealing crowd go dark” the other half of me says “WTF is titans a group of kids so dark.”

I’m torn usually the first season of everything is all over the map I wait until we are halfway into season 2 before I decide if I’m interested in where this is going.

Great points O.P.

1 Like

Not really, not to me anyways it actually feels more kid-friendly than I wanted. The fake blood and vulgarity doesn’t suddenly make me think this show is adult. Sometimes though it does some adult themes really well and I wish it would lean more on that. Most of the time though, it feels like a PG-13 CW show that’s slightly more vulgar and bloody. Still for kids.

1 Like

As someone who has read a lot of Teen Titans stories I do not think so. The Titans had been veering in that direction in the late 1960’s and continued down that track in the 1980’s to now.

1 Like

The show feels like an “edgy” middle schooler just found some Jhonen Vasquez comics. It’s dark and vulgar for the sake of being dark and vulgar. I hope that season two gets over itself, and that they tell a coherent plot, something that actually finishes its story.

I don’t mind the dark tone and adult themes, but I think the animated Young Justice did it much better.

I guess to actually answer the OP’s question, I don’t think it’s too dark, I just don’t see any luster.

4 Likes