Is this it for DC Universe originals?

Where is Pennyworth???
It is a DC title.
Why do we have to get EPIX to watch a DC show???

2 Likes

DC universe has this disadvantage of being only dc content. While Disney is pretty much everything from Disney orginal movies to the mcu. If you are DC you should be greatful for service that combines comics,movies and TV shows. Not gonna lie they need to improve on a few things. But shows they have decent batch.

Young Justice
Titans
Swamp thing
Stargirl
Harley Quinn
Plus a back catalog of shows and movies.

I suspect they’ll get some new shows like maybe Krypton since I heard it got cancelled.

1 Like

So many have made excellent points here. It seems like every time Disney announces something, we get posts of people either trolling (which I’m not saying the OP is doing) or panicking because they compared this service to something else. Do we have to do this every time? Can we not just enjoy what we have? It’s a different service providing different things. We get a sizable comics library, tons of older shows and animation, live action movies, new animated movies and fantastic original shows for a good price every month. It’s a wealth of content here. Why is that not enough?

3 Likes

Okay let’s face the facts with a ‘What if’ :rofl: If Disney doesn’t buy Marvel, huh, the MCU doesn’t exist! I would even say publication would be pretty weak or gone. You can look it up, some Comic Shops closed down and some lost thousands $$ across the States and they blame Marvel. So, yeah Marvel is backed up by the rat, I mean the mouse. Which means they have a lot of liberty.
It will be interesting to see how much AT&T/WB will invest in DCU in coming years. But I agree with others the rat, sorry, the mouse is going after Netflix. The mouse has Hulu now, think it was part of the Fox deal.
I recall at NYCC, DCU released the 2019 Originals schedule. I’m sure they will do the same or maybe we’ll get an announcement in our Year One party! I’m excited for the future, content is def gonna grow! :bat:

2 Likes

Sooner than later the superhero fatigue will happen. It’s already begun for me. Since I pay for this app I don’t watch anything else superhero. Haven’t watched the Boys or Umbrella Academy. Just like the westerns faded out so too will the Superhero genre.

If no one had bought Marvel, they would no longer exist. DC was and is blessed to be part of a much larger entity, even if we don’t always see it that way.

1 Like

While there is NO announcement and THIS IS PURE SPECULATION on my part. Somehow, without any warning, Krypton S1 magically showed up one day. I wouldn’t be surprised if Pennyworth made an appearance sometime after Epix has broadcast the whole season.

2 Likes

A lot of it has to do with your preference. Do you like DC shows and movies more than Marvel or the other way around? Also, as far as I know I don’t think Disney plus let’s you read comics which is a huge part of DC unlimited so it has that going for it at least. I’m more of a comic reader than a show watcher so I guess from the view of someone that doesn’t want the comics of course Disney is going to look better

1 Like

In terms of content that is directly competing with this service, there are only about 2-4 Marvel shows that will come to Disney+ streaming service a year. In this year of DC Universe, we’ve gotten 4 original shows in Titans, Doom Patrol, Young Justice, and Swamp Thing. We also know for sure that in the 2nd year of the service (which starts this September) we’re getting Harley Quinn, Titans S2, and Stargirl. We also know that Doom Patrol S2, and Young Justice S4 are coming. All that said, I think that DC Universe is keeping a great pace with what Disney+ is promising, and I think the shows on this service will be better regardless.

4 Likes

HBO Max sounds like it’ll make a difference for WB and DC. It’s going to have a pretty huge library of exclusive HBO content as well as CW and DC content. Hopefully this’ll provide the income streams for WB to keep greenlighting (or at least stop cancelling) original content, DC Universe or otherwise.

No one will ever be able to compete with Disney. They’re too big. But hopefully they’ll be able to set an example as how to do a streaming service right and others like HBO Max/DC Universe will follow suit.

2 Likes

I for one wouldn’t mind more kid friendly, new shows on this service. Right now all we have are TV-MA shows that I wouldn’t want to show my little brothers. Something a bit more wholesome would be great for those of us who want to share DC with a younger crowd.
On the main topic though, D+ can’t compete with DCU because they are centered around content for us DC fans. We get thousands of comics Marvel fans will never have the chance to read on D+. We get to have our own community discussion boards and everything.
DCU is awesome in its own way. Just needs some kid friendly stuff, so I can actually recommend it to the little kids that are in my circle of friends.

2 Likes

Superhero genre is compared here and elsewhere to Westerns with the idea that it’s already fading. First, box office and the number of broadcast/streaming shows indicate it’s not fading yet. Second, Westerns were one of the dominant movie genres from the 1920s into the 60s, with still significant films in the 70s and 80s. I’ll take that run for capes.

1 Like

@Behemoth_Ravenlord
Chances are Stargirl will be tv-14. I think with all the TV-14 content on the CWVERSE, DCU wanted to try doing some MA content, including MA animation with HQ. I think once the have “parental controls” there will likely be more TV-14 live action.

1 Like

@Behemoth

There are kid friendly shows. The animated series, most if not all of them are kid friendly. Most DC fans most likely grew up watching these shows when they were young.

Is it because they are not quippy enough compared to Marvel that you dont view them as kid friendly?

4 Likes

That is not the reason. There are quite a few marvel movies I wouldn’t recommend to kids. The Iron Man movies aren’t the best when it comes to teaching kids to value women. I would not want any kid to watch either the Deadpools, or the GotGs. I don’t really mind the DC movies, those are good. But their shows are a bit on the Deadpool level when it comes to mature content.

Not every streaming service is a competitor. Disney/Marvel doesn’t have DC characters, so there’s no contest for my money. Since we already know about 5 upcoming seasons of original shows (Stargirl, Harley Quinn, Titans S2, Doom Patrol S2, and Young Justice S4) we’ll probably get an announcement during NYC’s comic con about new shows.

2 Likes

People have touched on this but worth noting that even Falcon and Winter Soldier won’t be on for a couple months. DCU has three original live action shows and one animated one. They will have another animated one and a second season of Titans by the time Disney+ launches their first series. I mean I agree I think it’s awesome She-Hulk is getting her own show, I love She-Hulk but it also is 2 years away so that doesn’t really affect me now. Or even this time next year. It will be years before Disney+ has as many original Marvel shows as DCU (and those Marvel shows will be 6 episodes each apparently) has after a year and a half. And odds are more shows are coming for DCU.

And Disney+ will be awesome in a coupel years when everything they are talking about and all or most of the Marvel and Animated movies are finally on there. But I think a lot of people don’t realize very little of the original programming or past movies being talked about are going to be on there in the beginning. Disney+ is playing the long game, but there will be some blowback when fans realize they are not getting most of the stuff everyone has been talking about until a year or even 2 years later.

That being said, Disney+ is not DCU’s competitor it is going after Netflix and Amazon. It is not trying to be a niche service and it has a lot more money. DCU is not trying to compete with Disney+. People need to compare it to HBO MAX, or Netflix or Amazon or Hulu. Which is the level it is on. People want to compare DCU to something compare it to simmilarly sized more or less niche services as WWE Network, CBS All-Access, ConTV and Crunchyroll which are were DCU is at. Instead of constantly trying to compare a big service with a small service and saying “yep… the small service is smaller”.

3 Likes

@dantheman You nailed it. It’s like comparing Apples to Oranges.

2 Likes

I unfortunately paid for the 15 month plan. I wish I wouldn’t have. I could have seen titans in other ways and not have been bummed on th canceling of swamp thing.

1 Like

I unfortunately paid for the 15 month plan. I wish I wouldn’t have. I could have seen titans in other ways and not have been bummed on th canceling of swamp thing.