Is There Anyone Else in the World That Doesn't Like Reeves the Batman

Yes I actually left and watched certain parts when I was told it was important. My cousin rented it and we watched it at his house.

3 Likes

Sadly yes but I’ll just buy 2 of every Reeves Batman product to recoup the loss of revenue from possible Reeves Batman haters.

4 Likes

Don’t need to account for me:

1- Not a hater.
2- Watched it in theater, and purchased on digital despite disliking it, to keep that DC movie library complete.
3- Purchased the McFarlane figure for the Batman shelf, though it finds its way into storage now & then as I tinker with stuff.

Maybe I’m too much of a DC loyalist.

5 Likes

We are, after all, subscribers to DC’s comic servers. :wink:

5 Likes

Batman doesn’t listen to Nirvana. That is all.

5 Likes

I said pretty much everything I needed to say about it here:

5 Likes

I loved it! No real complaints save for just wanting more. Now do I love Burton’s Batman ehhh noooooooo. Hell, I’ll take Schumacher’s, hell the old serials over Batman Returns.

2 Likes

I dont like 89 either. Havent seen the rest of them do to the fact that I didnt like that one.

1 Like

I can give '89 a pass. Mainly because it’s pulpy, has a Golden Age vibe to it and well most of all…Jack Nicholson. But Returns is just a gross Burton film spewing all kinds of Burton-isms that just happens to have a Batman license. I find it odd when people will say well ‘Bane didn’t so and so in the comics’ for Rises, but nothing like that for The Penguin or Catwoman. Oddly, they both get a free pass.

2 Likes

Exactly! Lol

Reminded of season one of Daredevil. Where Matt Murdock dresses in all black and looks a ninja. It also reminded of this old superhero show I used to watch on NBC.

3 Likes

Season 1 is based on man without fear costume.

3 Likes

Not a fan of this film! Almost no delineation between Bruce and The Batman. Worst representation of The Riddler ever. Oh, the suit was terrible, could not see the bat on his chest. And really, running a gauntlet of repeated automatic weapons fire at such close range without even losing his footing? Again, really?
What, he had a force field? Too bad this franchise didn’t get scuttled by the new guys in town.

5 Likes

I do see a problem like the Nolan films: in Batman Begins, Rhas Al Ghul spells out his goal of Gotham society collapsing, and then Joker does essentially the same thing in Dark Knight, and then Bane does the same thing in Dark Knight Rises. They all had the exact same aims, so all three were essentially interchangeable, or you could have made Rhas the villain in all three films.

Reeves’ drastic makeover of the Riddler makes me wonder if the villains in subsequent films will be variations of the Riddler - a vaguely political domestic terrorist who wants to kill off those he believes ruined his life.
Now that Batman has already disavowed vengeance as a motivation, seems like there’s nowhere for his character arc to go. I sure hope they get Zoe Kravitz back as Catwoman, though I fear that isn’t in the cards. I thought the movie was definitely a success, and that Pattinson was the best Batman, but I don’t think it is well positioned for sequels.

3 Likes

My top three Batman actors are,

Adam West , Michael Keaton, and Christain Bale.

And with HBO MAX now ditching two great shows from the DC HUB,

I really have low to no hope that 2023 will yield anything great for DC movies or shows in general.

2 Likes

Also, though I’ll be happy to see more of the Penguin, he isn’t going to be convincing as the main threat for any future film. Though maybe if he goes out and hires Slade as his star hitman, maybe that works out…

3 Likes

I’d say that Nolan definitely is interrogating specific fears in the trilogy, but I also think that each one’s motivation is different - Ra’s wants justice and balance in the world, keeping the level of evil at bay. The Joker wants chaos, very different. And Bane just wants revenge - perhaps similar to the Joker, but having an actual motivation rather than laughing as the world burns.

I hope that Reeves doesn’t just have creepy serial killer expies in the future films. That would not be fun for me at all.

4 Likes

That may be on Nolan, I get it but at least there’s some cohesion, an underlying theme. Not just random shots in the dark of what ridiculousness we can put together like in the original 4.

I just can’t help but fear that Reeves will be married to this ‘realness’ like Nolan so that we will never get Clayface, Mr.Freeze, Man-Bat, you get it. I still loved the film though.

5 Likes

I don’t know if I would say that I dislike it, but I’ve been going out of my way to avoid watching it. It’s so long.

3 Likes

I wasnt going to watch it but my cousin wanted me to see it. I lasted half of the movie and couldnt take any more.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the whole thing. RPatz was fine as Batgod. I can’t really comment on his Bruce but I suspect I won’t be fond of it or of the Alfred here, since my ideal Alfred is someone like the one from Batman and Robin or from the Adam Ward series. And I’m someone who thinks Christian Bale did a far superior Bruce Wayne than even the ever popular characterization (albeit voice work) on B-TAS. But that’s probably because I don’t care enough about Batgod to make allowances for Batpatinson playing a far younger version of Bruce than we have ever seen on screen.

The movie itself looks far too long and dreary and I’m not someone who enjoyed Matt’s work on the Planet of the Apes movies as much as whomever decided that was the basis to give him the keys of the kingdom. I’ll watch it someday and I’m not sure I will ‘hate’ it or even actually actively dislike it, but I’ll just say very little about it makes me interested in making the plans to give up the valuable time to watch it. And I’ve had a highly discounted HBO Max membership for the past 90 days and I’ve spent that membership watching new (to me) things like Generation Kill and Loony Tunes, or re-watching Venture Brothers and DC animated stuff I’ve seen more than once already.

3 Likes