Is the Upcoming Batman Movie in the Same Universe As the Joker (2019)

I heard it’s not part of the dceu so I thought it would be connected to the joker movie but I couldn’t find any official source.

2 Likes

No, it’s in its own universe. If it was, I’d imagine Douglas Hodge would be playing Alfred again instead of Andy Serkis

3 Likes

Well thats not always the case, Terrence Howard play Rhoedy in Iron man 1, but then Don Cheadle played him in the rest of the mcu.

2 Likes

True, but in instances like that, they had initially planned to bring the actor back before something happened w/ negotiations and plans were changed. As far as I can tell, Hodge was never asked back to play Alfred in The Batman

3 Likes

Good point, I loved the joker and in a way I’m hoping we get more of it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hold your breath on that. I can’t see Joaquin Phoenix ever reprising the role considering he’s never once reprised a film role. I’m pretty sure not having to commit to a long-term, multiple-film character was a significant part of what drew him to Joker

2 Likes

Fair point, I guess that means the dceu is stuck with it’s current joker.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t think the DCEU is even gonna have a Joker anymore barring a Flashpoint-like reboot. W/ Affleck out for the long term, it seems like the DCEU may not have a Batman anymore, and if that’s the case, it’d make it easier for them to justify not bring Leto back. Even though I’d like to see him get to flesh out his Joker performance more and really get a chance to embrace it, such a move would make sense considering how many people hate his version

it sucks how the dceu lost one of it’s most iconic characters, and yes what youre saying true but how are we going to have a justice league without Batman? While I personally didn’t like the way the joker look, he didn’t have enough screen time to be flesh out imo.

You really can’t, but at the same time, the odds of us getting a completely new JL movie any time in the next 5 years or so are basically zero. They’ve definitely got something going w/ focusing on some of the individual heroes like Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam, but all the negative reactions to JL would’ve caused them to seriously rethink their plans. For now, they seem to be sticking to a type of world-building where you can appreciate the films at least a little more if you’re all caught up, but you don’t have to have actually seen any one of them prior to appreciate a new one. I’ll be curious to see if reactions to the Snyder Cut will further change their plans at all

1 Like

I still hope dc will have their own equivalent to infinite war/endgame.

1 Like

That’s my ultimate dream for the DC movies. Don’t tell anyone, but Infinity War and Endgame are my 2 favorite movies ever, and having that sort of ultimate payoff w/ a full roster of DC characters would just be the greatest thing ever

2 Likes

I mean we have our own opinions, but I prefer the jurassic park franchise. Closest thing we have to an endgame JL is dark apokolips