Is it worth watching Batman the animated series as an adult?

I was born in the 90s so grew up with the animated Batman series, superman one, static shock the justice league show and teen titans. Are this shows still good as an adult? 23 wanting to watch them for the nostalgia but did they age well?

6 Likes

In the same boat and can say they have all aged incredibly well. Batman is basically an animated classic and everything else are solid, enjoyable watches. Most never really treated their kid-targeted demos as actual kids (beyond not having ‘adult material’ like Young Justice has adapted into season 3), so I have found it very easy to slip back into watching them without feeling like anything’s too kiddie or hasn’t aged well.

4 Likes

I watched them as a kid and still watch them now that I’m 35. It is a great series for all ages.

4 Likes

I’m 16, so nostalgia isn’t a factor for me, and the show is great. It is a perfect representation of the tone of Batman, his rogue’s gallery, and Gotham. Between the characters, writing, music, animation, creative storytelling, etc. it all holds up to today’s standards. Of course even though nostalgia is eliminated from me, bias for the character is not—so that may be something to take into account.

3 Likes

I’ve kinda done the same thing I did with the CLone wars cartoon (another good show with the occasional overly childish episode) and cherry pick some episodes based off the synopsis. Minus a few things like Two Face, its not very serialized and you won’t miss much by skipping episodes.

1 Like

yes it is timeless

1 Like

Totally is worth it! If anything I connect to the some of the characters more. I’m able to understand certain themes more than I did when I first watched it as a kid.

2 Likes

Insane I forgot about Kevin and Mark. Excellent voice acting

1 Like

I say they are worth another watch. I was in my 30s when I first watched them, and I loved them then and do today.

I streamed them to my phone when I was in the hospital for several days because of surgery. I’ve BTAS, JL & JLU at least 5 times. STAS at least twice. They have all stood the test of time.

3 Likes

Batman and Justice League have aged incredibly well and can be enjoyed by all ages. I don’t know about Superman; I haven’t watched it yet.

2 Likes

My dad worked with a woman who watched it when it originally aired!

2 Likes

Yes. All I’ve seen hold up. I will say the first season of BTAS is a little slow.

Also, I don’t think Batman Beyond was ever great. It was fine.

1 Like

A million times yes!

1 Like

Is this a real question? The answer is yes. I remember watching new episodes in prime time. I still watch the dvds, too. Thankfully, in my work, I’m able to watch episodes or just about anything I like while I work. So I have a lot of dvds.

The BATMAN animated series, and all the others, were my #1 reason. I LOVE the show, with the second-best portrayal of the Joker, the voice of Mark Hamill. He’ll get into heaven for doing that.

The single best BTAS episode is actually in STAS season 3 episode 2 Knight Time

JL & JLU are the best pure series of the DCAU, IMO. JLU especially, the cast of heroes is so broad and used really well.

2 Likes

Absolutely. This show still holds up as a quintessential piece of Batman media almost 30 years later.

3 Likes

I think so. The Grey Ghost episode is one of my favorites to this day. I never knew until this year that the Grey Ghost was voiced by Adam West.

4 Likes

It’s definitely worth it I mean you read comics as an adult right? why not watch one of the greatest shows ever based on the characters you love

2 Likes

Yeah, remarkably adult themes and story telling for an animated show, especially from the 90’s.

3 Likes