Is It Just Me or Are There a Lot of Vocal People Online Who Pretend to Read Comics When in Actuality They Don’t?

I think this was the best comment. Makes the post sound silly now.

2 Likes

Another issue is that they keep adapting the same small number of stories. Yes, the Batman comics of Frank Miller, Jeph Loeb, and Alan Moore are bestsellers, but those three guys are only a drop in the larger bat-bucket.

2 Likes

Nonsense, friend. It’s a fun thread. Also, I know how it feels to be a bit overwhelmed with it all (in a way, I still am)… so just wanted to remind you that it’s supposed to be a fun hobby, not an academic exercise in the history of superheroics :wink:.

2 Likes

Some of my biographers happen to write the greatest book ever.

I don’t necessarily mind people focusing in on a particular version of a character as a favorite, although not being willing to acknowledge comic canon or the multiverse is frustrating. My bigger issue is with the internet sites posting ‘news’ or ‘reviews’ on comics and just blatantly stating wrong information. It’s like they received a preview or just looked at pictures instead of reading. One article I read even had a page preview that clearly did not match the article words/description. So. Frustrating.

1 Like

That particular issue is pretty good. I have mixed feelings about the final issue.

And then DK2 ruined everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Then DK3 fixed everything. My life is so crazy I love it. It is a good life, good enough.

1 Like

And some guys edit wikipedia! Like me! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yes I agree however some of that can be from the generational gap Batman 89 is a lot different from Batman 66. well batman TAS is just the right balance of darkness and camp. however, there are also fans of the comics, people only familiar with the live-action movies or cartoons, and fans of all.
then there are people who do their research before opening their mouths and people who do not and unfortunately, there are a lot more of the latter than the former.

Pish-tosh! That was only the second-greatest story of the '90s, after The Death and Return of Superman.

Therefore, that makes it essential! :wink:

As for the original topic, yes, there are people online (and IRL) who act like they read comics, but actually don’t.

Reading them takes time and effort (and money), whereas complaining about them is free and takes zero effort. Knowing how some members of our species sadly are, they go for the latter option, simply because its easy and requires little to know thought and/or effort.

YouTube is rife with channels of “fans” who are really just the “I bought a Batman shirt at Target and have a YouTube channel, therefore I know more than anyone!” variety.

sighs

Folks, it doesn’t matter how much or how little you know. Just have FUN with this stuff, and don’t be an online d-bag either, m’kay? M’kay. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

it might sneak into the top 50

maybe

There’s that much good Superman stuff in the 1990s, especially in the first half.

3 Likes

I was being sarcastic, but for me, the Blue/Red stuff actually is some of my fav Triangle Era stuff, because I love the blue suit and its just fun, especially the Millennium Giants crossover.

Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite, Time and Time Again, Death/Return, Dead Again, The Death of Clark Kent, etc., etc.

Edit: How could I forget The Trial of Superman? I loved that one!

3 Likes

I meant essential knowledge as in… oh heck, you know exactly what I meant.

This :point_up_2:

Currently reading through the Triangle Era (very very slowly). I’m at the beginning of Death stuff right now, but will probably skip over all of it because I’ve read it before. Loving it so far!

1 Like

I did, but I was still being sarcastic and silly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Death/Return aside, do you have a fav story from the Triangle Era, so far?

Time and Time Again is one of my favs from its early period.

1 Like

So far?

Blackout was a ton of fun. So was a little two-parter called “Crisis At Hand”. Panic in the Sky was great. Crisis At Hand stands out the most though… was very well written.

I found the stuff on Cerebrus a bit confusing. Not sure what earlier stuff I need to read to figure out what that guy’s deal is.

Still have most of the decade to go; this project is a very slow burn for me.

1 Like

Great Rao, I forgot all about that one (ironic, given I covered it in the older Superman club I ran). It is good!

If you’re reading from DCUI, just know that while most of the Triangle Era’s in digital, there’s a small segment that isn’t, so you might have to skip over stuff because of that.

With that said, you should be able to still enjoy everything we do have in the library, because its a ton of awesome books. :hugs:

1 Like

That’s how I read it. Skipped over it while going through these for that very reason.

Yeah I am, and I’ve already had a couple “wtf” moments because of missing stuffs (Time & Time Again suffers from that, if I recall). Not hard to play along though :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like