Is Injustice Good for New Comic Readers?

One of my friends loves harley quinn, specifically because of the movies so I’m trying to get into the world of comics by showing her comics where Harley is a main character like Harleen and Batman white knight, and I want to show her Injustice because that’s gotta be my favorite verison of Harley quinn.

The only problem is how dark and messed superman and wonder woman are, I’m worried that it might ruin her views on them. Also she’s not that familiar with the dcu as a whole so she’s not going recognize a lot of the characters(besides the ones that everyone knows)

7 Likes

If you like Taylor’s version of Harley but are worried about the other aspects of Injustice, I’d recommend his 2019 Suicide Squad series. Harley is one of the main characters!

9 Likes

It is a little tricky. Injustice was one of the first DC series I really got into other than Green Lantern. It includes a lot of characters and can work as a good introduction to them, but they’re all different (in varying degrees) to their mainstream versions. With Superman, I think it helped me appreciate the mainstream Superman more, after seeing how bad things could get if he turned dark.
And I’d second the 2019 Suicide Squad recommendation. I’ve been reading it for a few weeks now and love it. It focuses a lot on Harley’s intelligence, which I like seeing highlighted.

8 Likes

You could always introduce it with the caveat that while it is one of your favorite series, it exists in it’s own universe and most of the characters in it aren’t overly similar to their main DC universe counterparts.

7 Likes

I think it should be okay as long as you explain to your friend, and this is very important here, that there are stories set in alternate universes, just like Injustice, in which characters are going to be different from the main versions of themselves in the canon, and to keep this in mind before she decides: “oh I don’t like this character at all, I wouldn’t want to read their comics”, but rather they will get to decide: “I don’t think I like this character in this story, maybe there are other versions that I’ll like”. You see what I mean?

I think when it comes to new readers, knowing about different versions is important in order to not believe that every iteration is the way the characters are 100% of the time.

I really really hope this made sense btw.

7 Likes

Is it complete? Are there other stories that I have to read along side it? I haven’t read it so I don’t have an opinion on it but I don’t love all of his works so chances are I will like it.

3 Likes

It was one of the first so in your case it didn’t ruin Superman, green lantern(well I guess this one is obvious), or wonder woman for you?

3 Likes

Good idea, I told her about injustice but all I said “That’s not superman” but I should also explain them the concept of elseworld stories.

4 Likes

It makes complete sense ma’am, like I told @TheTerrificToyman I’ll be sure to tell about elseworlds

5 Likes

I think a lot of people have already established this, but it’s worth repeating. Personally, Injustice was the first comic series I ever actively followed and picked up. Before that, the only DC stuff I really actively watched were the animated films. I feel as long as you go into the series with a general knowledge of the characters and an understanding that this is a different take on them in a different universe, it’s honestly a great introduction. It’s a really solid and well made series that has continued for a reason.

6 Likes

Hmmm, I’m not sure how familiar they are with the dcu. I know one of my friend mostly knows about DC because movies that harley quinn is in, the other said she watched the justice league when she was a kid. I may have to ask them again what do they know about dc.

3 Likes

I think if your friend is genuinely interested in comics, you should maybe sit down and talk with them about what they’re interested in. Talk about their favorite movies and film genres. If you really want to introduce someone to the medium of comics, make sure you’re sharing with them how big the whole spectrum of genres is. One hurdle that I’ve found with friends is that they view comics as all about superheroes. So, then, I take them and show them some indie stuff. I’ll show them one based on a TV Show they like. Stuff like that. That’s the best way to start it imo.

3 Likes

I see what you mean, I keep on saying this but because my friend really likes harley quinn I’m showing her comics that are about harley is a good way for her to get into them. I have told them about Boom studio’s power rangers and IDW’s TMNT and they said they looked interesting. I haven’t read that many indie comics, and I ones that I have read I don’t think are worth the time especially there are series that I much rather share.

I know another friend likes Euphoria so maybe I can try to find a comic that’s similar to it?

4 Likes

Oh, her and I are also big fans of Yugioh and the creator of yugioh said that hellboy is his favorite American comic even though I haven’t read it that’s one comic we both might like.

4 Likes

Hellboy is fantastic and the spin offs are great too. The nice thing is there is an end to it.

3 Likes

Perhaps a dumb question on my part, and this is admittedly not at all an answer to what you’re asking, but is there any reason that your friend can’t be directed to Harley’s solo titles? I personally haven’t read them, but from what I’ve read about them, I understand that they mainly take place in their own corner of the DC Universe, so your friend wouldn’t have to know much (if anything) else about DC continuity to easily start reading them.

If your friend mainly knows Harley from the movies, besides her multiple solo series and the Suicide Squad title that HCQ directed you to above, there’s also a Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey series (though not all of the issues are on here yet).

4 Likes

She’s mainly a manga fan so she doesn’t know any harley solo series or american comics for that matter, nor does she take the time to look up any(from what I seen). Currently her and another friend of mine are reading Harleen together and she’s loving it, after I plan on showing them Batman white knight, then injustice.

Like Tom Taylor’s suicide squad run, I havent read that either. I would love to make the time to read all these comics but there’s just too many, and thats not including the novels, manga, and maybe light novels that I plan on reading.

Short answer: she mostly reads manga, and not comics so she’s pretty unfamiliar with comics besides the movies.

4 Likes

Feel like for more hardcore or else world fans, since I don’t want newcomers to have a sense that Superman is evil.

3 Likes

I get what you mean with elseworlds not being great for newcomers, but Superman is one of the most iconic characters in the world (only being topped by Mickey Mouse, Santa, and Ronald McDonald). I think most people have a good grasp of who the character is and what he stands for even if Injustice is their first read.

4 Likes

But the evil Superman thing is kinda overrated, which is why I wouldn’t recommend it for newcomers in the first place. It may not matter, but read All-Star Superman and Superman: For All Seasons first before that of you want to. That’s just my opinion.

4 Likes