Is Grant Morrison's JLA the Definitive Justice League Comic?

We’ve seen many iterations of Justice League, the powerhouse team that puts DC on the map over and over again. So what makes Grant Morrison’s take so special? This article explores the ways Morrison, the comic book rock star that has reinvented so many of our beloved characters, gave Justice League an arc that can arguably be called “definitive”.

Follow the link below, or find the article in the News section of DC Universe:
https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/grant-morrisons-jla-definitive-justice-league-comic/

Do you agree with our writer, or do you have another Justice League story you plant your flag in as the ultimate in Justice League lore? Let us know in the comments below!

8 Likes

For years and years, Morrison’s run has been my favorite on a Justice League title. The writing and art of his tenure perfectly unite into a harmonious unification of wonder and awe. My favorite arc is Rock of Ages. JLA is also the book that made me a mark for Morrison’s DC work.

I will say though, that as time has gone on, Geoff Johns’ fifty issue run on the New 52 Justice League has inched it’s way up towards Morrison levels of awesomeness. It’s by far my favorite New 52 series and whenever I revisit it, I enjoy it more than the last time, which says alot.

8 Likes

While I loved the Morrison run, it was because I loved the Silver Age JLA so much and his returning of the title to the og 7 was a breath of fresh air.

1 Like

It’s definitely the definitive run. First World Order remains the best Justice League story to this day.

1 Like

One of the pluses of New World Order (my second favorite arc of M’s run) is that each part of the story is named after a classic science fiction movie too. The art is snazzy too!

I’m beyond excited to get into JLA after I finish Doom Patrol!! Grant Morrison has some phenomenally enjoyable writing.

I’ll never disagree with a Morrison support theory. He’s earned it for sure.

You should hear Morrison’s assessment of the character Bloodwynd (a former JLA member for those unaware, from Justice League America, the JL title prior to JLA). It’s kinda iffy, so I won’t say it here but, he’s not a fan of the guy.

Justice League, like most teams, works best when there are new members, as well as old veterans.

Wally and Kyle provided the ‘Oh Wow’, viewpoint that the reader needed, when the earth shattering events go on.

Like in the new Fatal Five, Miss Martian, Jessica Cruz and Star boy will provide the same function.

Similarly, Red Arrow, Hawk girl, Vixen and Black Lightning were the new members in Brad Meter run of Justice League, presenting different viewpoints from the veterans Trinity, Green Lantern and chairwoman Black Canary that first arc, with Red Tornado, in his quest for humanity, is first class

2 Likes

Johns’ run is my favorite, but love Morrison’s run as well!

2 Likes

It’s so unreal I cannot stop!!! Been off board & everything else. Just took a break, going straight back. Next issue is downloaded & waiting.

1 Like

Late to this party, but Grant Morrison’s JLA is my favorite run of anyone’s on any title…ever. Its the most fun I’ve had reading a monthly title by far. My comic collecting world before this series consisted of Batman and Spider-Man (with a heavy emphasis on books featuring Joker and Venom). JLA opened me up to a universe of characters and forever cemented my love for Superman as the greatest character of them all.

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

I am a huge Justice League fan. I started seriously collecting comics with the Giffen, DeMatteis, Maguire run of Justice League. It is a high point in fun entertaining comics.

That being said, I think Morrison’s run is epic on a level where you need to call in the Justice League top team to handle, on a planetary cosmic level. My favorite story in any JLA book is Rock of Ages, followed by New World Order.

Morrison’s pantheon of JLA members was a return to great story telling on large scale threats.

1 Like

Morrison’s JLA was the go-to title for nearly all of the main members of the team as it was published.

The best title that starred Batman at that time? JLA.

The best title to star Wonder Woman? JLA.

Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter? JLA.

Aztek (a later main fixture)? JLA. It had to be JLA though, as his eventual ongoing was very hit and miss.

I would put Superman in with that group, but the Triangle Era was on an enormous highpoint for me during Morrison’s JLA, so he just narrowly misses out.

This isn’t to take anything away from those character’s solo titles (Aztek being the exception), it’s just that JLA really was that good under Morrison.

His JLA truly was a “I read it because it has all of my favorites in one book.” series, where you could have skipped the principle characters’ solo titles in favor of only reading them in JLA, and you would have still been able to enjoy a hearty fix of each character just fine.

2 Likes