Is Black Label Stuff Canon?

DC is my favorite company right now. But it seems like half the stuff i read is a what if story.

Is black label one of those? I’m really enjoying the new suicide squad: Get Joker stuff and hope it’s legit.

3 Likes

me too i got my comic book too i hope find get joker 2 and 3 suicide squad blaze and peacemaker

1 Like

No, Black Label is separated from main continuity.

1 Like

It’s mostly out of continuity, but some are a bit iffy in that department. Like I’m pretty sure Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti’s Harley Quinn & the Birds of Prey is a sequel to their run on the main HQ book. And Three Jokers was originally intended to be fully in the main continuity, but Geoff Johns has since said it’s now up to the readers, so like Killing Joke, time will likely determine how much that story is in canon or not

1 Like

And Three Jokers has been mentioned in continuity stories, specifically Jason’s Urban Legends story by Chip Zdarsky. There’s also Batman/Catwoman which on one hand is a continuation of Tom King’s run of Batman, but definitely has stuff that feels disconnected, like the future story.

2 Likes

Doomsday Clock is not Black Label, and has been part of continuity for a while.

3 Likes

Was it? Where?

2 Likes

Right, I keep forgetting that’s under Black Label as well

1 Like

I don’t remember the exact issue, but it involved Jason trying to get info from Oracle and his inner monologue mentions how he screwed things up with Babs in that story.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily see that as a tacit acknowledgment of Three Jokers. It’s there if you want it to be there, I suppose.

1 Like

Huh. I could’ve sworn it was Black Label this whole time, but yeah, I’m seeing now that’s not the case. I guess I just assumed as much given the premium format and higher age rating. I do still feel like the constant delays and Death Metal resetting the multiverse has made its intended place in continuity much more questionable, but I guess that’s moot for this thread seeing as how it’s not actually BL

2 Likes

Because you thought it was BC it is not. If you thought it was not BC it would be BC.

1 Like

Apparently, the Flashpoint Beyond series is going to connect not just to elements of Death Metal, but with the upcoming Dark Crisis as well.

2 Likes

Well Black label are all elseworld tales. however batman white knight, batman curse of white night, batman white knight Harley Quinn and the upcoming batman beyond white knight are cannon to that universe, the three Jokers is actually cannon to the New 52, but not rebirth and Batman/Catwoman is interestingly complex in its canonicity as it ties into the Catwoman of rebirth outside Catwoman volume 5, and kings work in Detective comics issue 1000, 1027, Catwoman 80th anniversary. the fact that Catwoman vol 5 actually is out of sink with batman until Joker war.
I broke it down a lot better here: Batman/Catwoman Special Issue Discussion (Major spoilers)

1 Like

After the latest reboot isn’t everything canon, just on different Earths?

4 Likes

At the end of Death Metal, they said something along the lines of “It all matters”. Introducing the omniverse (multiple multiverses, as I understand it), makes it so that whatever you read happened “somewhere” in the omniverse.

The way I look at, it’s a looser approach to canonicity that not only allows writers various degrees of creative freedom, but also allows readers to run wild with their imaginations.

3 Likes

Which I actually hope they stick to. I prefer it like that. Let the writers reference whatever other stories they want or whatever for their canon/continuity. As long as they capture the “essence” of the character who cares when or how it happened, as long as it’s a good story.

Maybe we’ll get less crossover events, too, and have events largely self contained story lines. I’d much prefer it that way. It might sound counterintuitive, but each comic series would feel less disjointed that way.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree. Was never a big canon or continuity buff myself.

3 Likes

It could be Batman Eternal, though.

3 Likes

Yes, although I enjoy a consistent universe, that ship has sailed for DCU a long time ago. This approach makes sense.

1 Like