Is Birds of Prey Worth Seeing?

I really liked it, only downside for me was the waste of Cain on a generic street urchin character. But Robbie is fantastic, and Huntress/Canary deserve their own BoP film.

It was a fun movie, though if you are looking for comic accurate movie, this ain’t it.

It’s worth seeing but you need to realize that it’s very much an alternate universe. Cassandra Cain should not be called Cassandra Cain, but the little actress did a good job with what she was handed. Harley, Black Canary and Huntress were a lot of fun to see on screen and the scenes where they’re just hanging out are some of my favorite. I definitely don’t think it needed to be rated R, but if you want a fun comic book romp with some pretty cinematography check it out.

@ZacktheSaint Yes. I may be a bit biased because I love the characters in the movie, even though some of them aren’t EXACT to their comic book versions, it is worth going into. HOWEVER, and this is very important, you should have an OPEN MIND about what you are about to watch in this movie. It’s been established that the DCEU is NOT THE COMICS, but simply BASED on them, which I think some people tend to forget sometimes, and then they get upset when other people like the movie. (I think we know what kind of fans I’m implying here, this is not up for debate, this is a known fact in any kind of fandom). With this being said, it is better to sit back, relax, and keep an open mind about the version of the characters that are being presented to you. Forget about the bad reviews from the people who DIDN’T see this movie. There is a special gift that a lot of people have that we don’t really see much in media, but that gift is the ability to simply enjoy things. Sometimes comic book movies don’t HAVE to be exact to the original source material. Anybody in this Fandom that has their own personal headcanons or ideal way of seeing their favorite characters understand that many people see characters differently, just like how they might. People get upset when the movie makers make the characters/story change from the OG version, that they forget that the makers ALSO have their different versions too. So let me ask you this, okay? Are you willing to keep an open mind about a Harley Quinn with shorter pigtails and choppy bangs? Are you willing to accept that Cassandra Cain is NOTHING like the Orphan/Batgirl comic version? Are you okay with seeing a Dinah Lance be single, and not even imply that she is with Green Arrow? These are the questions that you have to consider if you are going to watch a comic BASED movie where things are different. I hope you give it a shot. And if you do, keep in mind how long this movie took to film and the amount of energy that took to even film a scene. I hope you enjoy it. :blush:

1 Like

And sorry if this was a bit long I just… have issues with people who don’t give something a chance because negative opinions influence their own. This was one of the problems when this movie came out.

@TheWifeOfJasonTodd The question that @ZacktheSaint posed as the focus of this thread is one I, as a devoted and quite obsessive fan of not only Harley Quinn, but Margot Robbie’s incomparable live-action portrayal of her, am powerless to avoid taking the bait but you have cyrstallized my thoughts exactly so there is no need for me to repeat the well-reasoned and insightful defense of the best film of 2020.
I nearly wet myself watching BoP (for short) in my local movie theatre and instinctively knew that the movie would trigger a reaction from the Perpetually Outraged Citizens Brigade that live under bridges on various social media platforms not limited to the ones with birdsong in their names.
DC has retold, revamped, altered, and retroactively muddied the origins of so many characters and have introduced a multitude of young female characters all taking on the mantle of established characters such as Batgirl that i had no idea that Cassandra Cain was a version of Batgirl in some ill-fated incarnation.
I have no problem if someone didn’t like the movie or doesn’t plan to see it for whatever reason.
Like, any fandom, don’t see the film or tv series but don’t spend as much time with snide cynical derisive nihilism expounding upon why it doesn’t deserve to exist nor should anyone start online petitions either.
Hatewatching is always a foolish endeavour.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

I actually watched this movie with my boyfriend (my irl Red Hood) for our first date and even he liked it. Of course this movie has a special place in my heart, but I know that a lot of reviewers that saw this movie were hatewatchers. On YouTube, there is a “Everything GREAT About Birds of Prey” and he admitted that when he watched it the first time, he didn’t like it because he was so focused on the bad reviews that he heard beforehand. He said that he had watched it a second time, and it was then he had actually appreciated it for what it was.

1 Like

Yes :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I am unashamedly a champion of BoP and if prompted, or even not, i won’t shut up about how every aspect of the production is just insane, graphically violent, prurient, and such a colourful melange of film styles and genres.
I have no time for snide cynical derisive nihilists who i always suspect need the approval of others but give themselves away when they spend as much time passionately slagging off every film and tv series released.
The brilliant thing was when I went to Los Angeles back in mid February for a Doctor Who convention at the LAX Marriott, there was a massive billboard twenty feet high with a poster of BoP as it had just been released the week before.
I have it on DVD and have rewatched it at least a dozen times.

1 Like

Honestly same, and that sandwich scene is my everything, (along with a few other things of course).

1 Like

The sandwich scene reflects my love for Harley and my wife understands which is why she is the greatest, my wife i mean.
There has been cosplay involved in our viewings but that is for another thread.

1 Like

I cosplay as classic Harley and my bf said that if I one day cosplay as BoP Harley with the caution tape jacket (my favorite outfit in the film) he would make me the egg sandwich and photoshoot with it. (He’ll make it anyway and he offered to buy the jacket for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

1 Like

We are both lucky in our partners indulging and enabling us then as my wife cosplayed as Suicide Squad Harley as she knows i have a thing for DC heroines in fishnets Black Canary, Zatanna, Harley,
she has worn this look from the BoP movie as well

1 Like

I am not sorry if I have hijacked this thread when all the man asked is if BoP is worth seeing.
The answer is an emphatic YES

1 Like

I second this. @ZacktheSaint this should tell you something! WE LIKE IT!

1 Like

I did preface my initial remarks by saying that given an opening I won’t shut up about how awesome and personally gratifying BoP is to me and my wife.

2 Likes

Agreed :grin:

I agree it was a let down but a really good movie if you never seen it before!

1 Like