Is Batman: Three Jokers on here?

I’ve been meaning to read this story, but I’m having trouble finding it on here. Is there a reason for that?

1 Like

I found it at my library. It is not on here.

1 Like

From what I understand, there are certain books that the publishing side of DC want to keep out of the service because they worry that it would mess with their sales in trade format. It looks like Three Jokers is one of those books alongside stories like The Killing Joke, The Sandman, and Watchmen.

Which isn’t to say they won’t ever come to the site – they’ve added in books like the White Knight series after a while, so I imagine it’s a matter of time.

4 Likes

Even though most of the run isn’t here, we do at least have the first 8 issues. But yeah, anything under Black Label, whether it was initially published as such or put under that at a later time, is definitely subject to longer timelines for getting to DCUI

2 Likes

I think it depends on the Black Label book. For example, Superman Vs Lobo was released in August and dropped on DCUI at the end of February, which tracks with the six month schedule.

3 Likes

This is one of the most useful answers that I’ve ever received during Office Hours. My guess is that there’s something in Johns’s contract for the book that precludes it from being put on DCUI for a certain amount of time. There are other, older Black Label titles that came out in 2019 & 2020 (like Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child, Joker: Killer Smile, Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity [except for issue #1], and Wonder Woman: Dead Earth) that have been held off of here, probably for similar contract-related reasons, moreso than sales. However, the ones that started coming out in late 2020 and 2021 have all turned up here on schedule (I think), so I would take that to mean that DC reworked their standard contract terms with creators to expedite the arrival of Black Label books on DCUI.

To be exceedingly clear, all of the above is purely baseless speculation on my part, and it would be a good idea on your part to assume that I have no idea what the hell I’m talking about.

4 Likes